SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-01-16, 08:54 AM   #16
McDonnel
Watch

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

I must say I had the same problem with GWX - crashing loaded careers on "Not so long ago..."...

and very infuriatingly, saves from single missions didn´t. After few days of unsuccessful tries, I gave up and decided to give try to LSH3.

There, during the installation process, was a simple troubleshooting guide:

When crashes occur at career loadings, make sure you have SH3.exe set on Windows 7 compatibility and running as administrator.

I told to myself, oh what the hell, you have reinstalled SH3 with GWX so many times, one more will not hurt you - did clean install, clean GWX install, performed the setting and...

Lo and behold, GWX issues with career loading solved. No corrupted saves anymore, I can save any time, any amount of contacts - middle of exploding convoy, exploding harbors when I tried deck gun barrage just to test it are not problem anymore etc.
It loads perfectly fine now.

Check your compatibility for Windows 7 and running as admin
McDonnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-16, 12:19 PM   #17
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi McDonnel
This is one of the important aspects that I stress in all my SH tutorials.
Running applications as an administrator makes a big difference.
Windows 10 is changed to compatibility Windows7
Windows 7 I never had a problems with but can be changed to XP with SP3 also has made a difference for others.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-16, 03:28 PM   #18
dk_sub
Nub

Downloads: 51
Default Possible fix for save game crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kay View Post
Sorry to report that my previously posted info no longer holds water: now I have a second commander's career crashing the same way:

"Windows has encountered a problem with SH3.." at the "Long time ago..." loading screen.

My SH3 installation on this PC (see previous post) has 4 different commanders on roster. Two have now become corrupt and unplayable resulting in wiping all saves and starting those careers over.

As my other two uncorrupted commanders seem to be working fine, so far, I fear their demise and conclude that this problem appears to be an SH3/WinXP error. All 4 of these commanders were in their career stages of early-to-middle 1942; the Beginning of The Hot Times. What to do?

My working solution at this point is to do a total reinstall of everything on this PC. Please pardon my ignorance and impatience but I DO KNOW how to do a total WINXP reinstall, been there done that 100 times over. But HOW do I specifically keep my as YET uncorrupted--- and very successful commanders career files intact--- to reinstall w/SH3 again?

Have searched "reinstall SH3" on the forum and everything looks good in that respect BUT--- maybe I'm missing the part where I may possibly reinstall my commander's SAVED CAREERS.

Any help?
Hi Dave.

I too had the save game crash. I'm using LSH and I think they installed the file "4GB_PATCH.exe I found in the SH3 folder. Run it and point to your SH3.exe. It will then be patched. It worked for me so maybe.....
dk_sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-16, 01:28 PM   #19
jscharpf
Frogman

Downloads: 294

It seems to me that no matter how many precautions you take, you might be the unlucky one who gets the crash that you can't recover from. Early on I had this happen to me.
What I did, is not a solution, but merely a "Band-Aid".

I simply keep a running set of 4 saves, all separated by some time or distance.
So, for example, I will save while out at sea, in the clear, do this two times, maybe three, each maybe 100KM from each other. I just call them save1, save2, etc..

The only thing this does of course is (hopefully) gives you several different restore points. This has always worked for me, one time going back to the third save. I really believe it was a certain location/time/situation which I may never see again unless I'm in the same place at the same time.

I keep the saves far enough away from each other so as not to all be corrupted, but close enough such that I don't lose an entire mission.

I realize this isn't the answer you want, but it has kept me going for the last year or two now.

Jeff
jscharpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-16, 04:17 PM   #20
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi js
I have made over 70 game saves with LSH3-2015 and have never had a ctd, game save corruption, or game loading crash.
I only make 1 save per gaming session and position the boat not closer than 60km from any destroyed mark when making my game save.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 10:37 PM   #21
Dave Kay
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Another point I should make is that something I have seen in another post on SUBSIM ???? mentioned mid-play game crashes when closely engaged (10KM) with any sinking or damaged ships. This I now realize is how several of my commander's crashed mission-plays became corrupt. EXAMPLE: mild weather, ship torpedoed and still afloat... ooops--- I gotta' go now so Save Game. Returning to mission play the next day game gives the Windows 'problem' screen and that mission is now corrupt and unplayable--- ERASE~!

Another example is in real heavy weather while stalking a convoy 10km distance the Watch spots a ship mid-convoy in flames struggling to keep station. No action taken by commander but Save Game results in next play the mission is corrupt and unplayable.

My advice; save, save, save when damaged ships in close proximity or--- bugout and find another convoy and nice weather. Hope that helps.
Dave Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 11:21 AM   #22
gatordad
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have just overcome saved game ctd issues when trying to load a saved game on my Windows 10 system. Realized after much trouble shooting that I was not running a compatibility mode for SH3.exe. As soon as I went to using Win XP sp2 compatibility mode, all is well with loading saved games in each of my supermod versions (GWX3.0Gold, NYGM, WAC, LSH2015).

Amazing that I never thought about compatibility mode first. Would have saved me much time and trouble with uninstalling/reinstalling SH3+Supermods+mods.
Old 04-03-21, 01:13 PM   #23
Nemesis Bosseret
Mate

Downloads: 88

Im having issues on Operation drum beat. saves keep corrupting and its such a long patrol you need to take breaks and get off but its incredibly infurating that i only get one good save and anything after corrupts. does anyone know of a work around?
Nemesis Bosseret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 01:43 PM   #24
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439
Support

Here's a thread that covers some resolutions to some saves;

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=166283

But there have never been a complete resolution on bad saves. It can be different factors or a combination that ruin a save.

I avoid saving while submerged, near enemy units, always pause the game before a save in the Navigation window, and I never use the SAVE option (I always wind up with a corrupt save when I do) always the Save and Exit option, you can always fire it thing up again the continue.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote