SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-17, 02:39 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default S3D and nodes

Just wondering what the latest version of S3D is? I dont see a model preview window or anything. Need to figure this out so can get to work on added nodes etc.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-17, 04:21 PM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

The S3D I downloaded but I've never used is 0.9.9.0, I haven't heard of a later version but I'm sure some bright spark will prove me wrong.

Edit.
Right click the S3D application and select properties, click on Details and your version of S3D will be displayed, I'm sure you knew that but I thought I would add it just in case some one else didn't.
Old 07-20-17, 09:55 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You have to have a segment of the file "loaded" (?? term ??) that contains a 3d image to load. By default, the program opens with the "Node Positioning", "Linked 3D Model" and "Model Preview" windows open. As an example, I open the APD_Manley.dat from the Data / Sea folder of FotRSU, and then click on "11:Node - APD_Manley and there's the pink beast in the preview window. Click on all the map buttons, close the first two windows above the Preview window and roll the mouse wheel, and zoom where you want to go... Not all DAT files contain 3D images either...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 06:13 PM   #4
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Just wondering what the latest version of S3D is? I dont see a model preview window or anything. Need to figure this out so can get to work on added nodes etc.
Bubblehead1980,

As propbeanie has said, you need to load a DAT file into S3D first.

Once you have loaded:
Select the main Node as highlighted below.

=====

This screen will come up, select model preview and an image of whatever you are working will appear, and will change as you move things, using the Node positioning tools.

Old 07-28-17, 08:20 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The little blue and yellow dots on the vessel are where the nodes are. As you select one, either from the menu, or from clicking on the dot on the 3D image, you'll "highlight" it's respective part in the other portion of the window. In other words, you click on "Node: 11", and you'll see where "Node: 11" is on the ships, by looking at where the little red, yellow and green orientation marker lines are situated on the ship. If you then click on a different dot on the ship and get the marker lines to move, you see that the left-hand menu has now highlighted your choice... I had a picture of that on here somewhere not too long ago, but alas, I think it's on Photobucket, and we don't stand a chance of retrieving it there...

Nothing but the "main" node selected and the "Model preview" selected:

One of the engine exhaust nodes selected by clicking on it's node listing on the left-hand menu:

The Conning Tower's "mount" node selected by clicking on the yellow dot on the 3D model:

Easy peasy. Now, as for editing... I know how to delete stuff... If you need help with that, just call me. Only other things I know how to use on the model preview is the keyboard arrow keys, and the mouse wheel to zoom in and out, and the right-click and drag to move (in conjunction with the arrow keys). It takes a bit getting used to the "backwardness" of the controls, maybe... - Oh! and those little lightbulb pushbutton menu thingies (Windows calls 'em "tiles"), they can do your texture (sometimes) and shading...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote