SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-17, 09:16 AM   #1
phelan1777
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Hull strength in game relative to affects of depth pressure?

Anyone know if this is relative in the game? I'm aware that if there is existing hull damage, that it can influence flooding though if increasing hull strength (modding file) will increase test depth without changing test depth setting?

If anyone has knowledge? If not, I can test it when I get home later though I'm not sure where to find hull strength modifiers.

Thanks

FNG
Old 08-16-17, 12:10 PM   #2
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
Anyone know if this is relative in the game? I'm aware that if there is existing hull damage, that it can influence flooding though if increasing hull strength (modding file) will increase test depth without changing test depth setting?

If anyone has knowledge? If not, I can test it when I get home later though I'm not sure where to find hull strength modifiers.

Thanks

FNG
I can try and answer this for you. There's really no such thing as "hull strength" in this, the hull integrity you see is a function based off of the boat's displacement (so basically the higher the displacement the higher the strength) but as far as I know you couldn't use it to increase test depth.

Not only does damage influence flooding but it also affects the calculation of "collapse depth" which is usually +33% of test depth. A damaged hull makes implosion happen much sooner, in some cases depending your depth you may implode because you took damage. Even if that damage wasn't "fatal" in and of itself, it still weakens the hull to the point it won't survive at what was an otherwise safe depth.
Old 08-16-17, 03:59 PM   #3
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Something to remember and this only applies to US Submarines.

Unless you are very shallow, ANY hole in the pressure hull results in the loss of the boat.

Flooding in a 'close aboard explosion' will normally be from a cracked or broken piping, thereby limiting (somewhat) the amount of flooding that occurs.
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 04:14 PM   #4
phelan1777
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

What was trying to ask is that if changing the hull strength (armor?) modifiers in the game (editing file) instead of changing the test depth under the vessel profile, would that be a key factor (hull penetration aside) in an increased test depth or if aware/knowing, that does not play into the equation and crush is based solely test depth (unless damaged).

My understanding is that Soviet boats are double hulled so are more likely to better deal with damage, but does that also equate to deeper test depth or not relevant?

and, basically, it seems that US boats are more glass cannons than their Soviet counterparts?

If this clears up my question(s), thought(s)?
Old 08-20-17, 07:06 PM   #5
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

A double hull is irrelevant to test/collapse depth. In anyone's boat all that matters is the strength of the pressure hull itself, the outer hull of a Soviet boat is mostly for streamlining and may help mitigate explosion damage.

As for the game, I think collapse depth is randomly selected between 1.2 and 1.5 times test depth so that you never know exactly where it will be.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 08:14 PM   #6
Shadriss
A-ganger

Downloads: 89

Quote:
and, basically, it seems that US boats are more glass cannons than their Soviet counterparts?
The truth here is that any submarine hit by a modern torpedo is likely to have a bad day. Also to have their final day. Nationality won't matter here - a massive close aboard explosion doesn't care what flag you fly. Shipkiller is right that, if there is survivable flooding as a result, it would be from a pipe or some such... but chances are that the pipe is going to be an afterthought because the hull itself will likely have cracked from stress and snapped.

Watch a MK-48 destroy a surface ship. That's for something on the surface. A sub is completely surrounded by water, and the effects will be much worse. It makes me shudder to even contemplate it.
IMF PACNORWEST
USS ALASKA (SSBN-732 GOLD)
USS ALABAMA (SSBN-731 GOLD)
NAVAL OCEAN PROCESSING FACILITY, WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734 GOLD)
Shadriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 09:50 PM   #7
IVO
Loader

Downloads: 103
Default Ohio Class Hull strength

I just recently installed the Ohio Class submarine and it seems to be very durable compared to the other subs.
I dont think this is accurate. I have only had it for a few days but I have been able to absorb torpedo attacks with major flooding but not loss of boat so I wonder if there is a mod to make it more accurate.
I just dont believe that it can take that much damage.
Also i launched a nuk and there is no mushroom cloud it would be nice to have a mod for that ;-)
also the missions in Cold Waters seem to loop its always the same 4 or 5 missions
IVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 11:35 PM   #8
phelan1777
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO View Post
I just recently installed the Ohio Class submarine and it seems to be very durable compared to the other subs.
I dont think this is accurate. I have only had it for a few days but I have been able to absorb torpedo attacks with major flooding but not loss of boat so I wonder if there is a mod to make it more accurate.
I just dont believe that it can take that much damage.
Also i launched a nuk and there is no mushroom cloud it would be nice to have a mod for that ;-)
also the missions in Cold Waters seem to loop its always the same 4 or 5 missions
You can edit the campaign mission files in what you may face each mission, just an place to start to make the game more interesting.
Old 09-05-17, 12:19 PM   #9
IVO
Loader

Downloads: 103
Default Thanks for that i will try it.

Ok, thank you i will try that.

Quote:
You can edit the campaign mission files in what you may face each mission, just an place to start to make the game more interesting.
IVO is offline   Reply With Quote