SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-08, 07:10 PM   #1
Kamikaze
A-ganger

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default How to use Walther Drive Correctly?

I need some guidance here . . . .

I just got a new type sub with one of these drives. OK, I can turn it on by clicking the H2O2 button. But "how" should I use this? Are there limitations? Does it use fuel or batteries or something else? Surface or submerged?

I just did a search for Walther and did not find anything of use.

Thanks in advance . . . .
Old 03-06-08, 07:31 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Hold it, right there!

I can't even find the head in this thing. Nobody can tell me how many liters in a kilometer. All the instruments have foreign mumbo-jumbo written all over them.

Now YOU"RE playing with the Walther drive. Sounds like some kind of European sex toy to me. No gals on your boat so there's no dang sense trying to figure that thing out.

Well, you have to excuse me. I think I better find out what Voraus and Zuruck mean before these engines seize up. What are those two dots over the U for? Can't these Germans even use the alphabet without fancying it up unnecessarily?

Here I am a freakin submarine expert and I can't even find the head. Back up to the aft deck again. Do Germans use toilet paper? If they do, what in Sam Hill do they call it? This is drivin' me crazy.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 07:36 PM   #3
Kamikaze
A-ganger

Hahaha . . . . I suspect they use the old dispatches. Its better than corn cobs!

Old 03-06-08, 08:03 PM   #4
Zantham
中国水兵

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 1

The Walther drive uses H2O2 instead of batteries or diesel. It works on the surface, as well as underwater.

According to uboat.net, the Walther drive supplied an estimated 15,000 HP worth of power
http://uboat.net/types/xviii.htm

In-game, there is a small fuel gauge that shows how much H2O2 fuel you have remaining, it is located above where you find your regular fuel, battery, Oxygen and CO2 guages. Unlike diesel, the
H2O2 is not replenished at a refit port.

You click the little red button on the end of the
H2O2 gauge and hold on tight. You still use your telegraph like normal, except you go waaaay faster than you would on diesel.

The range however is quite limited, depending on the speed you choose to go and whether you are surfaced or submerged. I think you can get a couple hundred kilometers or more out of it.. I know its in one of the files somewhere but I can't find it right now.

I did some basic testing like using ahead slow submerged to lose some destroyers, then engaging the turbine to see if they found me again; I was under the thermal layer and they didn't seem to react. Needs more testing to be sure tho.

I've also used it to do end-arounds on taskforces .... yes it is that fast!!! but that really sucks the fuel back quickly. I'm sure other creative minds around here use it for other purposes... I can imagine its hard for a Destroyer to track a uboat travelling at 29 knots with their guns....
Zantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 08:09 PM   #5
Zantham
中国水兵

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Nobody can tell me how many liters in a kilometer.
There is 5280/0 litres in a kilometer.
Zantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 09:20 PM   #6
Kamikaze
A-ganger

Thank you Zantham!

Surface too eh? I was just messing around with it. My hydrophones seem to be not working . . . dial will not spin When on the surface and at 2/3 speed if I hit the H2O2 my indicated speed drops to 3 knots. This isnt speeding.

I'll try again in a bit . . .
Old 03-06-08, 09:34 PM   #7
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantham
Quote:
Nobody can tell me how many liters in a kilometer.
There is 5280/0 litres in a kilometer.
I thought litres was a liquid measurement.

And doesn't 5280 ft. equal a mile.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy. I need all the help I can get too.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 03:36 PM   #8
BarjackU977
Gunner

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Can't these Germans even use the alphabet without fancying it up unnecessarily?
The world will have made a huge step in the direction of a better understanding of each others when most of us will have accepted the idea that the it is made of differences that make it even more interesting.

Now an explanation for the game would be much appreciated, of course. But that remark had nothing to do with the game.
BarjackU977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 03:53 PM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default No it didn't

It was called humor, and like German, some just don't understand. Then they stand in judgement. Go figure!

Now what's this Okularkopf thing? A medicine cabinet? Wonder what happens when I press one of these six buttons.... Dang foreign labels! I'm afraid to play with my Kippwinkle.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-07-08 at 05:45 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 04:05 PM   #10
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

The range of the XVIII when using the Walter Turbine is 202 nautical miles at 24 knots, or roughly the range of an American SUV.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 11:35 AM   #11
Kamikaze
A-ganger

Ahh LukeFF . . . my Explorer can go 325 miles before I have to fill it (8 cyl). Just keeping thing honest here .

And now the BS . . .or . . the "I be sh1tting ye not" catagory

And when I drive the ambient temp. around the vehicle increases by 10 degrees, and I see Al Gore running after me with signs of protest. . . . . :P
Old 03-08-08, 08:59 PM   #12
scrag
Medic

Downloads: 6
Default Walther Drive

This was intended to allow the U-Boat to reposition out of harms way after conducting an attack. At 24 kts it allowed the attacker little if any time to effectively mount a response. Conversely the drive could be used to position for attack if you need to reposition. U-792 and 794 Type XVIIa ships with U-792 achieving 25 kts during trials. Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 was the fuel source which was also a a fuel source for the V-2 and was in high demand but short supply. It should also be noted that while western navies and the Soviets experimented with this as a fuel source the mixture is extremely explosive and caused a number of memorable accidents which sank the ship carrying the system. Also of note this is also been reported as a propulsion source for torpedoes and was the likely culprit for the sinking of the KURSK.
Old 03-09-08, 05:48 AM   #13
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64

Walter achieved his remarkable results by using Perhydrol, a nearly pure hydrogen-peroxide solution, as an oxydizer. This was run through a catalysing system, which broke down the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) into hydrogen and oxygen, in the process producing high pressure steam and oxygen at a very high temperature. The creation of the steam used up both of the hydrogen atoms and one of the oxygen atoms, leaving a free oxygen atom in the mixture. Since the temperature of the gases was hot enough to sustain combustion, diesel fuel was injected, which used the free oxygen atom. This increased both the heat and pressure of the steam. The steam was then used to power a turbine, which combined elements of both gas and Parsons (steam) turbine technology.

Unfortunately for the Kriegsmarine's submarine service—but fortunately for the Allies—the Walter system had nearly as many problems as benefits. The Perhydrol fuel was extremely corrosive, requiring the use of special fuel lines. Another problem, which was actually discovered by the Japanese, who used essentially the same system to power some torpedoes (including a prototype of the Kaiten "human torpedo" variant) was that, unlike conventional fuels, the Perhydrol required fuel lines without any right angle turns. The Perhydrol would sometimes "pile up" in the bends of such lines and spontaneously combust, with the obvious disastrous results.

Another drawback was that the Walter system was extremely thirsty. One reason for the larger hulls was simply that an enormous amount of fuel would have to be carried if the boats were to have sufficient range to be effective in combat.

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 08:18 AM   #14
The Thorn
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

I just came from a mission wth this sub, and I have tested this feature.

Man, the speed is really great. Very usefull when you want to sneak up to a ship at periscope depth. It is very usefull to be faster then normal ships when you are submerged. I made good use of it when i wanted to hit on a smal convoy. Getting in front of them (actually passing them underneath them), repositioned to get my bow to them, and fired some fish, just to get them running into them

Speed is really the key to succes.
The Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 09:30 AM   #15
cmdrk
Planesman

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thorn
Speed is really the key to succes.
No... location, location, location.

But speed can get you there.