SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-18, 03:43 PM   #1
Artur Salwarowski
Iron Wolf Studio

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default UBOOT the board game - is it possible to create a reasonable tabletop subsim?

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I'd like to hear the opinion of subsim afficionados on a project that I've been working on for some time. We are launching a Kickstarter campaign tomorrow, hoping to raise funds for a board game that is trying to inject a tiny bit of the 'subsim spirit' into the world of board games.

As this is not a real subsim, I don't expect anyone here to be even remotely interested in backing it, so I hope this is not treated as a marketing ploy. If it seems so to anybody, then please delete and I apologize for the commotion. All that I would like to know is what you think of this formula and whether it at least remotely holds water

Not wishing to bore you to death with long introductions, I think I'm just gonna let you have a look

Oh, and please remember that the game is still in development

trailer

preview runthrough

playthrough

review

As you can see in the playthrough, certain game elements have not been fully implemented yet (air patrols, damage effects, and many other). What is more, at this point of development of the game, we could really use some advice on certain matters, such as attack and observation ranges (there is a lot of technical data around, but it's tough to base those things purely on numbers).

Last edited by Artur Salwarowski; 02-06-18 at 08:11 AM.
Artur Salwarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 03:14 PM   #2
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Do you have a draft rulebook available, Arthur ? Have not seen it on KS
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 04:32 PM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=236095

How does it compare to these?
Old 01-24-18, 02:42 AM   #4
Waervyn
Seaman

Downloads: 6

I have Silent Victory myself, and can say it will be nothing alike this game.

Silent Victory is an extremely luck driven adventure through the pacific. There's not many choices to be made (but there are some). The game requires the right mindset. Instead of hoping to 'win' the game, you have to enjoy the adventure that your captain is having. You can die on your first turn by bad dicerolls, but this simulates the danger of being in a submarine quite well.

This game is more about the workings of a submarine. It seems much more involved and frantic.

I think both games can have a place on a gamer's shelf, as they both will scratch different itches.
Waervyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-18, 08:29 AM   #5
Artur Salwarowski
Iron Wolf Studio

Well, Waervyn has sort of answered my question However, If you take a look at the playthrough, then you will notice that UBOOT is more a crossover between an actual subsim and a board game, more than a board game in the classical meaning of the term

There is no dice, not much is luck-based and most of the time it is the players' skill that allows them to win against the odds. So, it's not like 'let's roll and see what happens'
Old 01-27-18, 05:36 PM   #6
Camangoo
Nub

Downloads: 11
Default Uboot the boardgame - Kickstarter - Full support

Hi Arthur. I was hoping you guys had engaged with these forums but I am surprised that there isn't more talk here yet.

I am a day one supporter of UBoot The boardgame as well as an avid Silent Hunter fan (the prospect of this game has brought me out of hiding!). I haven't been into boardgames since 'Hero Quest' in the 80s/90s as a kid but couldn't be more excited about UBoot.

It is clear that the support on Kickstarter that you have already gained is evidence to what you have created. I have my crew lined up and we can't wait for the release.ofnthe rules to whet our appetite!

I highly encourage anyone with an interest in UBoot command and control to review Arthur's above post and check out the Kickstarter campaign (below) which is receiving consistent updates and they are very responsive to questions.

Good job Phalanx. Can't wait!

UBOOT The Board Game, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-board-game
Camangoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 06:34 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Camangoo! after a very long silent run since 2012!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 10:15 PM   #8
Camangoo
Nub

Downloads: 11

And it was the very prospect of this game that has caused me to surface!
Camangoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 03:57 PM   #9
Wilhelm Schroeder
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Default Back the Kickstarter!

That’s why I’m back as well!

The game looks unlike anything before!

Quite a step up from Sub Hunt and a cardboard submarine made out of a refrigerator box I had as a kid!
Wilhelm Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 04:52 PM   #10
Artur Salwarowski
Iron Wolf Studio

Thank you very much for your support guys, I'm glad that you like the concept. There are still a few more days left and the campaign has reached a very interesting point

Hope we can reach more of those game-enriching app upgrades

EDIT: Oh, and the rules are here by the way:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqo7tv6apv...18-SP.pdf?dl=0

Last edited by Artur Salwarowski; 02-05-18 at 07:04 PM.