SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-17, 10:56 AM   #1
spccolts
Watch

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Trigger Maru Overhauled & Mega Mods

Been seeing these mods around. They look great on you tube but I hear they can have lots or trouble and crash.

Was wondering if the bugs have been worked out of these mods. Do they still crash? Are they worth the frustration?
spccolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-17, 11:22 AM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spccolts View Post
Been seeing these mods around. They look great on you tube but I hear they can have lots or trouble and crash.

Was wondering if the bugs have been worked out of these mods. Do they still crash? Are they worth the frustration?
Yes, you will find that they are definitely worth the effort. TMO is probably on of the best mods available. You'll find the AI somewhat tougher than the stock game, but well worth the effort. Make sure your copy of SH4 is v1.5 though. It is what TMO is setup for as are all the major mega mods.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-17, 11:27 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The thing with most mods is to just use them properly. The stock game has issues, and some of the mods make the game better at NOT crashing. One problem users have is not being careful of a mod's folder structure. Some of the mods have several mod choices in their "main" folder. Be sure and read the ReadMe file with the mod. It might be that you have to drag a folder out of the main folder. Grab JSGME v2.60 and read it's instructions, which I think are in a pdf file... ?? and become familiar with its operation. That helps immensely. Also, when you enable a mod, you can NOT use the old "Save" folder, which in stock trim is C:\ My Documents \ SH4. Anything in there will corrupt a newly activated mod and cause several issues, including crashes. Empty the folder, if necessary.

In my opinion, the best course of action is to read-up on Rocking Robbins' SH4CMS utility and use it. Restoring the game from something "bad" is much much easier with it. As mentioned above, the educated use of JSGME, and last but not least, the educated use of MultiSH4 v1.5 to create multiple "Save" folders for each separate "install" of SH4 that you have (I have almost one for each mod), of which, RR's CMS really shines in helping you with.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote