SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-18, 04:05 AM   #1
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Icon9 Crash on recognition manual & museum

I'm working on a megamod patch and I am getting crashes on the japanese military ships in the recognition manual. Merchants are ok! Yay!!!!

I checked the roster.cfg and every entry has a corresponding shipname.cfg in the data\sea and japan\sea so I don't know why it is crashing.

It crashes because I assume it can't finding a matching entry somewhere. Is there somewhere else to look besides roster.cfg and the data\sea and japan\sea?

I may of missed something somewhere. Any usual culprits?

EDIT: Narrowed it down to data\sea cfg file somewhere

Last edited by james_nix; 03-01-18 at 06:51 AM.
james_nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 09:28 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The Type=XX lines in the config files between "Data / Roster / Country / Sea / Ship.cfg" and "Data / Sea / Ship / Ship.cfg" have to match (as do all of the other category config files).

If you open the Museum and select "Japan", does it crash immediately, or do you see the Yamato? If you don't see it, it's supposed to be set to a Type=20 in most mods and stock. If you see the Yamato, but not the next BB, then that next one has issues, and so on down the line. If you can see the Yamato but it crashes on the next BB, use the drop-down boxes to select a different class and see what you get. Once you can get through the Museum without issues, you can generally get through the game. Double-check your spelling. SH4 does not like typos at all...

Another course of action would be to run SH Validator on the install - in fact, you should do that first - see if you get Class= errors or some such. It does not catch all errors (it doesn't look into the binary files), but it does get you a good idea of where you stand. If you want, post the errors found in the log file, if you don't understand any. You'll most likely get a few "Out of sequence" errors and such, as well as either Class= and / or Type= errors. Also, check all of the dates (don't overlap them except in certain situations).

Someone with more experience probably has pointers that might be more efficient at getting you going.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 12:43 PM   #3
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

As propbeanie stated, a lot of issues come from not having the same "UnitType"; "ClassName" found in the units "Roster" .cfg file:

[UnitClass]
ClassName=BBColorado
UnitType=11
AppearanceDate=19210721
DisappearanceDate=19470107
DisplayName=US BB Colorado

Compared to the corosponding units "Sea" .cfg file:

[Unit]
ClassName=BBColorado
3DModelFileName=data/Sea/NBB_Colorado/NBB_Colorado
UnitType=11
MaxSpeed=21
Length=190.2
Width=30.2
Mast=42.2
Draft=9.1
Displacement=32600
RenownAwarded=1500
CrewComplement=400
SurvivalRate=90
SurvivalPercentage=20

They have to be the same!!

If by opening up the Museum, you can at least get to the first displayable unit, then here's how to narrow down the culprit that's giving you a CTD.

If you know the trouble is in the Japan section, and it seems like it's just after looking at one of the Battleships, try to remember which one it was? Mouse over the top center console, use the top most "Nationality" field to go to the Japan group. Make sure you have "All" listed, then open the lower "List". This list of ships is in the exact "order" of appearance the ships will be in if you use the arrows to go through them. Try to find the last good ship you remember being displayed and write down the units that are displayed after that unit. With at least a half dozen written down, in their order of appearance, start going back down through the list in the Museum displaying them. When you find the CTD one, you know its just after the last good unit that was displayed on your list. There's you problem unit.

You may have more, so it's always good to fix one, then test things again.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 03:28 PM   #4
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! OTC for RFB 2.0 lives!

IT LIVES!

Thank-you both so much for the help! Damn Yamato. Just one wrong unit type and I couldn't even open the museum or rec manual.

Could of sworn I checked it a million times. Sometimes you just need a another pair of eyes.
Old 03-01-18, 05:20 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Sometimes, all it takes is a stronger pair of reading specs...

... other times though, my brain looks at something that is wrong, and I just gloss over it, brain fahrt, and "poof", CTD...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote