Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-18, 05:26 AM   #1
Shibbyland
Seaman

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default This file is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer

Hi All,

I have downloaded Wolves of Steel in the past and really enjoyed it. I went to download it this time and received a message "This file is not commonly downloaded and could harm you computer".

I've seen one report from 2017 of the mediafire file containing malware. Can anybody clarify this please?

Thanks
Shibbyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 05:58 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

It's a False Positive from your antivirus.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 10:40 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Shibbyland!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 10:57 AM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Shibbyland
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 08:19 PM   #5
Shibbyland
Seaman

Thanks for that. Mediafire says the file was recently uploaded (July 2018) from Serbia and Montenegro. What does that mean? I thought it was uploaded years ago?
Old 07-11-18, 11:17 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I understand your concern and your wanting to help, but is there a reason you felt the need to start two threads on this?
Old 07-11-18, 11:57 PM   #7
Shibbyland
Seaman

Yes, the second thread is unrelated. This thread was to do with a Microsoft message which I'm satisfied is almost certainly a false positive as it only relates to the publisher of the software.

The second thread was published out of concern after a commercial anti virus scanner was used on both the megamod and the update file. It uses an up to date database of known viruses to clean infected files.

It detected a virus within the megamod file but not within the update file. I don't believe this is a false positive as when I originally downloaded the megamod over a year ago, the same scanner did not detect any issues and now it does. Given the file was modified only a few weeks ago this made me a bit suspicious and as much as I'd love proceed with the mod anyway it just seems too risky until I know more. You guys have made something truly brilliant here, to play SH5 without Wolves of Steel is a waste of time but yea I can't ignore a threat.

Do you guys do any kind of monitoring of your most popular files or anything to keep yourselves secure?

I feel your members/admins should be aware as this can be a threat to the integrity of your community (which I'd like to be a part of).

Last edited by Shibbyland; 07-12-18 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 01:58 AM   #8
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibbyland View Post
Yes, the second thread is unrelated. This thread was to do with a Microsoft message which I'm satisfied is almost certainly a false positive as it only relates to the publisher of the software.

The second thread was published out of concern after a commercial anti virus scanner was used on both the megamod and the update file. It uses an up to date database of known viruses to clean infected files.

It detected a virus within the megamod file but not within the update file. I don't believe this is a false positive as when I originally downloaded the megamod over a year ago, the same scanner did not detect any issues and now it does. Given the file was modified only a few weeks ago this made me a bit suspicious and as much as I'd love proceed with the mod anyway it just seems too risky until I know more. You guys have made something truly brilliant here, to play SH5 without Wolves of Steel is a waste of time but yea I can't ignore a threat.

Do you guys do any kind of monitoring of your most popular files or anything to keep yourselves secure?

I feel your members/admins should be aware as this can be a threat to the integrity of your community (which I'd like to be a part of).
as xenonsurf said it's a false positive
Old 07-12-18, 02:27 AM   #9
Shibbyland
Seaman

I know its probably a pain in the ass to keep asking and I don't mean to be but its just really hard to understand why im detecting a virus now but didn't on a previous version? In combination with a post I saw about their download turning out to be malware I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of recent downloads to see how other people have found it.

Have you guys considered campaigning to have your content included in the original game to bring it back to life on the market? I'd buy Cold Waters but I know any other subsim just doesn't come close to Wolves of Steel megamod.
Old 07-12-18, 03:09 AM   #10
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
I know its probably a pain in the ass to keep asking and I don't mean to be but its just really hard to understand why im detecting a virus now but didn't on a previous version? In combination with a post I saw about their download turning out to be malware I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of recent downloads to see how other people have found it.

Have you guys considered campaigning to have your content included in the original game to bring it back to life on the market? I'd buy Cold Waters but I know any other subsim just doesn't come close to Wolves of Steel megamod.
Name of your antivirus?
Old 07-12-18, 03:32 AM   #11
Shibbyland
Seaman

I use ESET. It very rarely picks up anything as a threat so when it does I take notice. I've submitted a support request to see if they can analyse the file but that might take some time to hear back.

It's also strange how it detected the threat in the megamod file but not the separate update file. It suggests that it's not a publisher issue that ESET has detected or otherwise it would've identified both as a threat.
Old 07-12-18, 04:33 AM   #12
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Thanks for that. Mediafire says the file was recently uploaded (July 2018) from Serbia and Montenegro. What does that mean? I thought it was uploaded years ago?
Approximately once a month I upload a new update and I also update the main full standalone installer as well. That's why the files are recently modified. For example, right now I'm preparing v2.2.7 update for the end of the month...

Quote:
I know its probably a pain in the ass to keep asking and I don't mean to be but its just really hard to understand why im detecting a virus now but didn't on a previous version?
This is question for your AV software support/publisher. I've noticed from user reports that Norton IS is also very picky regarding software from unknown publishers .

Quote:
Up to this moment exactly 2484 downloads for the latest full installer and 661 for the update.

Quote:
Never going to happen. I'm pretty much sure that most of the moders would never allow for their work to be included in any kind of commercial product, especially if we are talking about so much hated Ubisoft...

Quote:
I use ESET. It very rarely picks up anything as a threat so when it does I take notice. I've submitted a support request to see if they can analyse the file but that might take some time to hear back.
Good...If you may not noticed, I actually recommend this in TWoS download section.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 04:43 AM   #13
Shibbyland
Seaman

Thank you for your detailed reply, Ill just wait and see what the AV people come back with. I’ve just reinstalled SH5 vanilla and it’s just dull without TWoS.

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten so much enjoyment from a naval game than the work you guys have done with this mod.

Just navigating around is enjoyable and the manual targeting in vanilla leaves more than a little to be desired. Great mod, what a shame you guys aren’t building entire games for the market.
Old 07-12-18, 04:51 AM   #14
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Thank you for your detailed reply, Ill just wait and see what the AV people come back with. I’ve just reinstalled SH5 vanilla and it’s just dull without TWoS.

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten so much enjoyment from a naval game than the work you guys have done with this mod.

Just navigating around is enjoyable and the manual targeting in vanilla leaves more than a little to be desired. Great mod, what a shame you guys aren’t building entire games for the market.
You're quite welcome. BTW, what was the name of problematic file?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 05:14 AM   #15
Shibbyland
Seaman

It's the weirdest thing, I did the scan and on completion it just said threat found and removed. When I went to find what the specific threat was it had just removed the entire megamod, all 2 and a bit GB of it.