SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-09-18, 10:42 AM   #1
conura
Swabbie

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0
Default will other units fight amongst themselves?

I was just running the first mission with TWOS installed and saw a group of ships moving to my south, and nearby there was smoke and fire in the ocean. I couldn't tell what it was! Will ships of opposing factions attack each other?

Thanks
conura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 11:21 AM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Of course. It is actually quite recommended to leave Polish task force for German warships and airplanes which are also in the area, in the first Danzing bay mission...
Happy hunting!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 01:07 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Of course. It is actually quite recommended to leave Polish task force for German warships and airplanes which are also in the area, in the first Danzing bay mission...
Happy hunting!

Confirmed, in my first mission I didn't have to fire a single torpedo, I just watched the show...

Then, should you ever run out of torpedos, you can still call german planes to your position (if an airbase is reasonably nearby), by using 'Kontakt melden', or the other message for convoys. I don't think you get any points for this but it's all you can do without torpedos.
I plan to use 'Kontakt melden' everytime when encountering destroyers in Coastal Waters (East Britain) or in the Chanel just before submerging and evading. There is a little chance that nearby friendly warships will come to my help as well...Let's see...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-09-18 at 01:17 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 01:23 PM   #4
conura
Swabbie

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Thanks very much guys. Can't stop playing this sim. With TWOS it's incredible. I've been looking for a DCS level sub sim and I am loving this.

I have a few questions and didn't want to open a new thread...

with TWOS does depth impact hydrophone accuracy? Also does your angle in relation to the target impact their chance of detecting you?

Can enemies detect things like depth under bow pings, and finally, do things liker a sonar shadow zone exist in the sim / is the layer and how it impacts sound modelled?

(I've come from Cold Waters so trying to figure out which of my tactics are still valid )

Thanks!
conura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 03:06 PM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by conura View Post
Thanks very much guys. Can't stop playing this sim. With TWOS it's incredible. I've been looking for a DCS level sub sim and I am loving this.

I have a few questions and didn't want to open a new thread...

with TWOS does depth impact hydrophone accuracy?
Not accuracy but range yes, only for your AI sonarman. Bellow 30-35m, he will have maximum detection range. This is added to simulate surface noise interference...

Quote:
Also does your angle in relation to the target impact their chance of detecting you?
Yes, target surface factor is modeled in the game...SH5 controllers support such settings, not only for hydro/sonar but for visual and radar sensors as well.

Quote:
Can enemies detect things like depth under bow pings,
I don't think so...

Quote:
and finally, do things liker a sonar shadow zone exist in the sim / is the layer and how it impacts sound modelled?
Yes, although in TWoS AI sensors and skills are somewhat improved in order to assure certain punishment for reckless captains...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote