SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-29-19, 07:00 PM   #1
Downunderjock
Mate

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Icon14 SH4 Mods?

Hey.

What other mods work well with SH4..? With my specs..?

Wish me luck, Ha!

See Ya.

Take care all.
Downunderjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-19, 07:29 PM   #2
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunderjock View Post
Hey.

What other mods work well with SH4..? With my specs..?

Wish me luck, Ha!

See Ya.

Take care all.
All of them.

They are all in the download section found here:

MODS

Go Eagles

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 11:12 PM   #3
simpliciter
Watch

Downloads: 1

yeah there are a bunch of random mods in the mods section. I haven't really thought much about SH4 for a while but it's still installed on my machine and I am curious if there exists any kind of "megapatch" that fixes/optimizes a bunch of things? I don't see anything like that in the gameplay section, it seems like a bunch of random small addons. Was nothing like that ever made for SH4?
simpliciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 07:44 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

SH4 was almost as bad as SH5 when it came out. All sorts of stuff needed to be "fixed", so there was a v1.1, v1.2, v1.3, v1.4, and v1.5, with a few "interim" numbered patches in between some of them. The last was an update and add-on that had to be paid for. A person's head spun trying to keep up with SH4 back in 2007-8. But at least they tried to "fix" the issues. The last release, v1.5 is the one that most of the mods are written for. If you buy on Steam, their "base" Silent Hunter 4 is v1.3, which is not good. Their version will not take the v1.4 patch from Ubisoft. You are left having to purchase the "Uboat Missions" add-on. "Gold Edition" is v1.5 with the Uboat Missions in one package.

All that said, Silent Hunter 4 is an old Windows XP game. JSGME is also an old Windows XP app. As such, if you desire to apply mods to the game, you will have to set things up with the game correctly. When you install the game, do not accept the default install path of "C:\Program Files (x86)\ Ubisoft..." Windows "protects" the "Program Files" folders from rogue (aka: "unauthorized") alteration. Change the install path to something outside of the "Program Files" folder. Some folks just delete the "Program Files (x86)\" portions, such that you would install to "C:\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter..." Other folks make a "Games" folder, such that they have "C:\Games \Silent Hunter..." Anything practically, other than the default path.

Probably the most 'famous' of the SH4 mods would be "TMO - Trigger Maru Overhauled". Art Anker, dearly missed, wrote the "Small Patch" for it that fixes the Terrible Tambor issue. A popular option with TMO was to put "RSRDC - Run Silent Run Deep Campaign" on top. That also has a "Patch 1". For me, if doing that, I would use what Bleiente made "Ralles RealModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC", which is as its name says, a combination of TMO, RSRDC & OTC (Optical Targeting Correction), the last a mod from CapnScurvy that "centers" the conning tower on the sub, making for accurate targeting measurements from the submarine. The optics are also corrected for proper zoom and dimensions. All of those are great stuff. A person just starting with modding cannot go wrong with THEBERBSTER's "THEBERBSTEES All In One Beginners Mega Mod List For SH4 221117", unless they just totally disregard all instruction. He made an easy-to-use mix of Webster's GFO (Game Fixes Only). No extra ships, no extra environmental tweaks, just "fixes" some of the stuff that Ubisoft left hanging in v1.5. Last, but certainly not least in my list here, is "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition (FotRSU)", which is currently still in "beta" status, but is getting close to being considered "finished". This mod is a "mega-mega-mod" in my book. The idea behind it was to combine all of AOTD_MadMax's work into one mod, and make it all work together. We're still finding things to tweak, but it is a very fun and beautiful looking mod (in my opinion). In other words, there are all sorts of "megapatch" options. There are limitations that the game engine does impose that cannot be "fixed", but the idea with a mod is to try to disguise, or blur the "edges" around those issues, if possible...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 08:04 AM   #5
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

On side note, there is also in SH4 download section FOTRS V1.3 (for SH4 V1.5) wich is VERY playable and stable (never got a CTD so far) and more fun than TMO (in my opinion)
I got it as beautiful as FOTRSU with some easy tweaks
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-19, 12:41 PM   #6
simpliciter
Watch

Downloads: 1

Thanks for the reply I will look into that stuff. Just got Atlantic Fleet the other night (10 bucks on steam, fun surface ship based turn based game) so I'm a bit distracted at the moment.
simpliciter is offline   Reply With Quote