SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-18, 09:04 PM   #1
Imarider
Mate

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 0
Default How to open and save campaign .mis file

If i redact UKHarbourTraffic.mis file in OM, how i should open this file and save it? As a normal mission, random layer or scripted layer? I did all this 3 ways, but when i save, there are . tsr file, that haven't in the original folder. Pls, help!
Imarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 09:12 PM   #2
Imarider
Mate

Ok, as i understand i have save this as normal mission and just delete .tsr file.
Old 03-10-18, 08:54 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If there are Random Generated Groups (RGG) in a file (the square "yellow" icons), you should use the "Save RND Layer...". If there are "regular" units (the square "red" icons), then you'd use the "Save Scripted Layer...". What those two methods of "Save" do is to save only the units that pertain to those types, and leave out any changes you may have made, accidentally or purposefully to the other types. If you have a file with both, then you need to "Save Normal Mission...", else you'll lose one or the other types completely from the file. In all cases, the SH4MissionEditor will make TSR files that you then can delete, if working with Campaign files - though it is not necessary.

If you are making edits to a mod in which lurker_hlb3 made the campaign, such as a version of RSRDC or OM, then after you make edits, there will be automatic changes made to the files by the SH4MissionEditor that will ruin the timing of Lurker's RGG in that particular file. What you should do, if editing his campaign files, is work from a back-up copy, then compare your edits to his original file, using a text editor (or WinMerge), paying particular attention to the lines "DelayMin=xx" and "DelayMinInterv=", which are often set back to their "default..." values. Other (4 to 5 other) lines are often added that are unnecessary. If you read one of lurker's ReadMe files, he mentions "reverse engineering" his files, and this is why. SH4MissionEditor wants things a certain way, and especially with RGG, they will end up being over 24 hours late after you use the SH4MissionEditor on a file, sometimes not generating at all. Like I say, work from a copy, and compare afterwards...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 10:47 PM   #4
Imarider
Mate

Thanks, man, it's very helpful.
Old 03-11-18, 03:33 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You are more than welcome. Since you are using a lurker_hlb3 mod, it would be a good idea to "study" what he did, compared to the stock game, with his different files, especially the campaign files. You'll understand the folder structure and where to find everything after a little practice with it. Also, read his different ReadMe text and pdf files for more info. To help you along, here's the v17 ME manual that Dietrich did on behalf of 17. Unterseebootsflottile »Nordfront« (their site unfortunately is now defunct):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByH...ew?usp=sharing

That is a 7zip file, with a folder inside of it that contains their Mission Editor manual. While it is for SH3, it almost applies fully for SH4, though you'll notice the Mission menu is different, with the Parameters in a separate section, as are other items. However, these guys paid attention to the details of the ME, and do a good job of getting you a leg-up on the knowledge. They do not speak directly about Campaign editing, and are more toward the Single Mission type of editing, but it applies to the Campaign also, and definitely helps a person grasp the concepts. They do not speak to using a text editor for helping edit "lurker style"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-24, 01:39 PM   #6
Aashvi78
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

You usually need the matching program or game that uses this file format in order to open and save a.mis file for a campaign. Once the program has been opened, be careful to use the "Save" or "Save As" option in the menu to save any changes. Don't forget to annotate your modifications for future reference and clarity. As an example, the mission goals have been updated to improve player involvement and growth. Enemy spawn spots have been adjusted for a balanced challenge."
Aashvi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 09:53 AM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashvi78 View Post
You usually need the matching program or game that uses this file format in order to open and save a.mis file for a campaign. Once the program has been opened, be careful to use the "Save" or "Save As" option in the menu to save any changes. Don't forget to annotate your modifications for future reference and clarity. As an example, the mission goals have been updated to improve player involvement and growth. Enemy spawn spots have been adjusted for a balanced challenge."
you are responding to a six-year-old thread.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 10:38 AM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Aashvi78!...nevermind KaleunMarco; Propbeanies's sage advice is timeless!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote