Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 09-26-14, 11:20 AM   #1
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Default Tank Simulator?

Just wondering what you think of this game found on iNetVideo?

Released by UIG Entertainment in 2011.

From what I see, it offers two tanks, set in specific mission's format.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Old 09-26-14, 12:44 PM   #2
Krabb
Navy Dude

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

I doubt it IS a simulator. Looks like a clone of Panzer Elite Action arcade shooter (not Panzer Elite!).
Krabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 02:08 PM   #3
33lima
Planesman

Downloads: 27

I think this is it, admittedly en Francais.

Calling it a clone of Panzer Elite Action seems fair, possibly generous. Despite the title, a tank simulator it's not...unless standards have slipped to the extent that 'simulator' and 'action game' now mean the same thing.
33lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 04:59 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

"Simulator" - that...?

CapnScurvy,
if you want a tank simulator, check for SBP 3. Sticky Resource thread somewhere at the top of the thread list in this forum.
Old 09-27-14, 05:39 AM   #5
Krabb
Navy Dude

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
CapnScurvy,
if you want a tank simulator, check for SBP 3. Sticky Resource thread somewhere at the top of the thread list in this forum.
..., or Steel Armor Blaze of War.
Krabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 12:54 PM   #6
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Thanks for the replies!!

Yes, I've always been interested in Armor. Dad was a Tank Commander, Platoon Sergeant spending 3 years overseas in the Pacific during WWII. Their operational tactics were quite different than what was taught at Fort Knox. But, luckily in the Pacific, you didn't have to go up against the German Armor! Dad was active in his Tank Battalion Association after the war, and I remember hearing these guys at reunions recall their stories. The only time I ever heard Dad tell them was during these reunions. It's like he could open up with them, where any other time he kept his memories to himself. I think combat is something you can only share with those who were there. Those that brag about it....probable didn't see much of it!

My last Tank game was the Micro Prose M1 Platoon II. I'm not sure if I could get it to play....or even want to, since the graphics are probably very outdated.

So, yes I'm open to suggestions

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 05:23 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Open for suggestions, and Miroprose Tank Platoon. Well, that makes you a prime candidate for Steel Beasts Pro 3.0.

In a nutshell, it is a training tool for the pro military and is used by over a dozen Western armies. In the company's own words, it is a simulator of mechanized warfare, main focus is on platoon and company level, but you can set up batallions, if you want, even brigades. But that hardly ever gets done. It does plenty of what hardware simulators do, much of that pit doe sbetter, and it competes by pricing and for the civilian market: leaving out the hardware cabins and its hardware. However, infantry actions are of limi8ted realism, and air warfare and air defence is dramatically simplified.

The Australiens gave free copies of it to all their tank crews so that they can use it in their free time as well. You get the same sim the pros use, minus external supervisor's interface and with map size limitations that in practical gameplay are meaningless since the maps still are3 25x25 km, and depending on your rig allow viewing ranges of up to 16 km, which usually is limited to more realistic 1000-5000m.

Please understand that what you see is an older graphcis engine. They now use a slightly more modern one. Still, do not expect Crysis-style eye candy, you won't get that. What you get is functional and tactical realism that no other tank game comes close to.

Practically all major tank designs from cold war and present are represented, plus plenty of APCs, IFVs and additional vehicles and platforms.

Bold and Italic with Asteriks* means the vehicle is crewable and has 3D interior, clickable. Without the asteriks it means the vehicle can be boarded for all stations, but has no full 3D interior, nevertheless is functional. All other vehicles can only be commanded via external map view, and scripting.

MBTs:

=====
Leopard-1A2
Leopard-1V
Leopard-1A5 German
Leopard-1A5DK*
Leopard-AS1
Leopard-2A4*
Leopard-2A5DK*
Leopard-2A5A1*
Leopard-2A5A2-DK*
Leopardo-2E* (Leo-2A6 for Spain)
Strv-122* (Leo-2A5 for Sweden)
Centurion Mk.5/2
M-60A3
M1* (with 105mm L7 gun)
M1A1(HA)*
M1A2 SEP*
Challenger II
AMX-13
T-55
T-62
T-64
T-72B
T-72BV
T-72M*
T-72M1*
T-72M4
T-80U
T-90

IFVs/APCs
=======
ASLAV-25
ASLAV-PC
NZLAV-IMH
BMD-2
BMP-1
BMP-2
BMP-3
BTR-50
BTR-50PK
BTR-80
PT-76
Bushmaster
CV-90/30FI*
CV90/35DK*
CV-9035NL*
CV90/40-B*
CV90/40-C*
LAV-25
M-113A2
M-113AS4
M-113G3
M-113G4
M2A2*
M3A2*
Bradley Engineers
Bradley MICLIC
Marder 1A3
MT-LB
Pizarro*
Piranha-IIIC
Ulan*
VEC
Warrior IFV
YPR-765 (new 3D model)
YPR-AT
YPR-Command

trucks
======
HEMTT transport
HEMTT fuel
M-1025 HMMWV
MAN 10t GL supply truck
MAN SX45 transport
MAN SX45 fuel
Unimog Medic
Unimog Supply
Unimog tropp transport
MB-240 GD
MB-240 GD XO/CO
Ural 4320 transport
Ural 4320 fuel

others
=====
ASLAV-CS
ASLAV-A
Biber
BMP medic
BRDM-2
BRDM-2AT
Centauro*
Cougar 6x6 MRAP
Eagle IV
Fennek
Scimitar
FV-101 Scorpion
GTK Boxer
GTK Boxer Engineers
Iveco LMV
M-981 FISTV
FOV90* (=CV-90 FO)
Jaguar 1A3
M-109A3
M-1064A3
M-113/FO
M-113 FO "Viking"
M-113A1
M-113FIST
M-113A3 Engineers
M-113A3 MICLIC
M-113 Medic
M-113G3 OPMV
M-113 Bergepanzer

M-113A3 TOW
M-88A1 MRV
M-1064 (M113 mortar)
M-901 ITV
M-966 HMMWV*
MT-55
MT-LB FO
TPz Fuchs "1970s-90s"
TPz Fuchs 1A6
TPz Fuchs 1A7
2S1 Gvozdika
2S3 Akatsiya 152mm
BM-21 multiple missile laucncher
PRB-3 FO
2S6 Tunguska AA
UAV unmanned aerial vehicle
UGV unmanned ground vehicle
1.2t technical truck HMG
1.2t technical truck RCL
1.2t technical truck with mortar
1.2t technical truck with TOW
flatbed with ZU-23/2
YPR-765 PRAT
Wiesel TOW
Wisent ARV
ZSU-23-4 Shilka
8 versions of civilian cars

helicopters:
========
CH-47 Chinook
CH-146 Griffon
MI-24 Hind E
MRH-90
Tiger ARH
AH-64 Apache
UH-60 Blackhawk

infantry
======
rifle platoon 1-15 men
AGL team
MSL team
HMG team
Mortar team
FO team
optional: UGV for infantry
optional: UAV for infantry
RWS with MG

TOW
Javelin
Spike
BILL
Civilians
Insurgents (armed hostiles in civilian clothing)

The sim is easy to learn but difficult to master. Handling the tanks is not Falcon 4 style hightech wizardy, but making use of terrain to your advantage and mastering tactics and unit cohesion - is what its all about. This is no game for wannabe-Rambos. Rambo dies quick and early in here. I do not MP myself, but they say that MP is very stable, and a blast. the sim sees constant development since yearsd and for years to come. However, while the solftware is not difficult to handle, you need to understand that this is a pro tool for military customers, and not a game package of the likes you know from other PC titles. The content it has and the format is features is to 80-90% due to the military demanding this, and not paying for something other. And that is where their market interest lies. Civilian players are NOT their main customer that pays their bills. This is also the reason why the graphics look dated.

http://www.tanksim.com/topic15_sbp_interview.htm

(P.S. That interview was done in 2006, back then there was no time of day, no dusk and dawn, no night. This has changed since two years, you now have night time and night vision equipment, from NVG and thermal imagers to infrared suicide devices used - or better not used - by the T-72s).

http://www.steelbeasts.com/

I'm with the earliest incarnations of Steel beasts since almost twenty years now, I think its 18 years now. It's for tanks what Falcon 4 and DCS is for fighters and bombers, and ArmA is for infantry. The developer works with the armed forces of his customers and gets access to their vehciles they want to see simulated, however he doe snot use classified data. But many staff and free helpers are tankers in real life and know their matter inside out, that makes sure by using public data from Jayne's and the like they can make very reasobable guesses of what to make the sim behave like, and what kind off effects regarding armour and ammunition probably would be unrealistic. If they would not do their homework well, defence ministries would not pay them tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars for licenses.

Last edited by Skybird; 09-27-14 at 05:40 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-14, 10:43 AM   #8
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Thank you so much Skybird for the in site on Steel Beasts Pro 3.0! I've just looked into their website, and it seems just what I've been looking for.

No doubt I'll have additional questions as I progress, but again thank you!

Quote:
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-14, 03:11 PM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

I forgot to mention the extremely good editor, which serves in a double function: to design missions, as well as to preplan your battle during - or better before - the battle begins. The interface and operation is almost the same, and the system works extremely well, allowing easy handling and enormous flexibility. Its one of the best, most potent and easiest-to-handle mission editors I have ever seen in any game or sim.

An aperitif:

4 years old, software version outdated:

Galleries:

CV-90/35:
http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/...g2_itemId=1262

Pics (9 pages) of details and platforms added to SBP since release of 3.0:
http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/...2_itemId=17327

Last edited by Skybird; 09-28-14 at 04:06 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 05:54 PM   #10
33lima
Planesman

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Thanks for the replies!!

Yes, I've always been interested in Armor. Dad was a Tank Commander, Platoon Sergeant spending 3 years overseas in the Pacific during WWII. Their operational tactics were quite different than what was taught at Fort Knox. But, luckily in the Pacific, you didn't have to go up against the German Armor! Dad was active in his Tank Battalion Association after the war, and I remember hearing these guys at reunions recall their stories. The only time I ever heard Dad tell them was during these reunions. It's like he could open up with them, where any other time he kept his memories to himself. I think combat is something you can only share with those who were there. Those that brag about it....probable didn't see much of it!

My last Tank game was the Micro Prose M1 Platoon II. I'm not sure if I could get it to play....or even want to, since the graphics are probably very outdated.

So, yes I'm open to suggestions
M1TP2 can be got to play on modern systems and despite its limitations still has the sort of single player campaign features that few can compete with, even if the individual missions were somewhat repetitive. With a Glide wrapper the graphics are dated but still serviceable.

For a WW2 experience, Steel Fury is well worth trying. Modded, it has an unmatched playable vehicle set (some of which are illustrated here) and decent graphics, as you can see from this set of screenies from a 'Barbarossa' German campaign I just started this evening. Despite the presence of at least one 76.2mm field gun in the Soviet defences, our two platoons of three Panzer IIIJs with the new long-barelled 5cm guns, backed up by dismounted grenadiers, were more than a match for the Ivans in their T-26s and BT-5s. I managed to get all three of my tanks and crews through the battle in one piece and we all chalked up some kills, including a couple of T-26s that I was credited with knocking out, like the one seen through my zoomed-in gunsight below, surrounded by the bodies of its crew, mowed down after bailing out.

Last edited by 33lima; 10-04-15 at 05:11 AM.
33lima is offline   Reply With Quote