Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 09-09-08, 09:13 PM   #1
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
So How far in the Challenge are you?

As many people know I proposed a challenge to see if anyone could beat the great Luftwaffe fighter ace Erich Hartmann. Sadly I had to restart the campain that I was playing because of one of the mods I downloaded, but I got the game to work right again and I have shot down a total of 124 russian plane from June 22, 1941 to October 5, 1941 with out being shot down or injured. Anyways I would like to know where everone one is in the way of kills. So report in your kills. Just remember this is just a challange to see if anyone can beat the record of 352 kills set by Erich Hartmann, and not to see whos better than who!!!! Quick edit, this challange is open to everone who wants to try to beat the record. The only rules are: You can not be shot down or injured during the course of the challange. The other rule is you have until 1945 to get the most amount of kills that you can. If you beat the record you have out done one of the worlds greatest fighter pilots and if you fail to shoot down more than 352 by 1945 no worries some aces like Adolf Galland didn't have as much kills has Hartmann but he did have a higher rank.
Old 09-10-08, 12:40 AM   #2
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

I'm almost to Hartmann's score, but I haven't been playing IL2 as much as usual...

313 kills so far.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 03:55 AM   #3
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Still on the starting line... you know, to give some handicap to you guys. :p
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 05:19 AM   #4
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Why does being injured screw things up? Killed yea but injured...that's a bit harsh.
Old 09-10-08, 05:49 AM   #5
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
Why does being injured screw things up? Killed yea but injured...that's a bit harsh.
Yeh, I agree. Only game over thingy should be killed or captured. I mean, lot of the aces of the LW were shot down quite a few times. Cant remember his name but read about it from one of Mike Spick's books that one 100+ ace was shot down 12 times.

As for the challenge, it's quite easy tbh. 1 kill per sortie and you get the kills way earlier than Hartmann got them, IIRC the Kill/Sortie ratio of Hartmann was something like 1 per 3 sorties.

Anyways, I need to start again tonight.

EDIT: Oopsie, misremembered the Hartmanns K/S ratio, it was 0,25 kills per sortie.
Old 09-10-08, 10:02 AM   #6
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Any specific realism settings? I use no icons, limited ammo, limited fuel, but that's about it.
Old 09-10-08, 10:56 AM   #7
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Ok guys the reason why I have the no getting injured thing is that I've read that Erich Hartmann was never injured in combat other than a busted nose that had hit the gunsite in his plane after a crash landing(don't you hate it when that happens?), and yet in the same day got back into another plane and went on fighting. Now to address the realism settings. For things like fuel and ammo that can be unlimited or limited depends on what you want, do you want to waste 50% or so of your ammo on a IL-2 which I would like to point out are heavily armoured. But if you want to go full realism thats up to the player. As for the something like the venerable setting aka "god mode" that has to be on if it is off and you are playing with this setting on YOU ARE CHEATING!!!!! I seem to have a hard enough time with just the venerable setting off any ways it seems for most of the missions that I fly those pesky russians always can hit my oil!!! I think so far I have crash landed more times than Hartmann did .
Old 09-10-08, 04:15 PM   #8
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Well, even if I'm not even CLOSE to Hartmanns record in IL-2, I'd like to announce that Major James Bigglesworth, my main pilot in OFF, has at the moment 85 claims, and 45 confirmed, so I'm going up the list more and more!
Old 09-10-08, 07:01 PM   #9
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Well Biggles, seeing as how you are flying in WW1 maybe you should see if you can beat one of the records of an ace from WW1 instead of WW2 eh?
Old 09-10-08, 10:39 PM   #10
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I've been reading a bit about this guy now...

Holy crap, this guy's the Chuck Norris of the Luftwaffe.

Last edited by Rilder; 09-10-08 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-11-08, 04:17 AM   #11
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilder
I've been reading a bit about this guy now...

Holy crap, this guy's the Chuck Norris of the Luftwaffe.
Depends how you look it. :p
Old 09-12-08, 04:12 PM   #12
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

OK I have started my campaign Poland 1939 DCG First mission 3 kills. Got the Pz.11s no problem, combat flaps and judicous throttle. My AI tema mates had a hard time with them.
Old 10-04-08, 03:18 PM   #13
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

As a follow up to to the questions I've asked so far about the challange, what year and what campaign are you on? I've made it to 1943 at the famous battle of Kursk. This was the same battle that Hartmann claimed a large number of his kills with some help from a new weapon the 20mm nose cannon!