SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-27-08, 02:42 PM   #31
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
Alles klar ??????
Nein
prowler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 06:12 PM   #32
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
It does seem confusing for mods to be within the MODS folder but its for a reason and works
As long as you shut down JSGME after adding the main mod then reopen

Alles klar ??????
You don't need to close JSGME and reopen it. If you're merely updating existing mods, then nothing needs to be done at all - JSGME will simply pick up the updated files when the mod is enabled.

If you're adding new mods to the MODS folder, then all a user needs to do is press F5 to update the mods list.

The trap is that if users already have the mods-to-be-updated enabled, then they MUST remember to disable them and re-enable them again after they've applied your update in order for the updates to take affect. They can't assume that if the mod is already enabled that JSGME will automatically update the files in the game - it does not.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 06:54 PM   #33
prowler3
XO

Here's what I'm not getting about this...

What do I do with the 2 optional folders? Do I just slide both into the MODS folder and activate with JSGME or do I use the files within these 2 to overwrite the original "GWX lite harbor traffic" and "GWX merged campaign" ? Or do I do something completely different?

Depending on the answer I may have another question. Thanks for your patience.

*EDIT* OK...think I've got it now that I'm at home looking at the files. Instead of overwriting the originals I renamed the new ones to "GWX lite harbor trafficBBW" and "GWX merged campaignBBW" and slid them into the MODS folder. That way I have both the original GWX versions and the BigBoyWooly versions available for easy enabling/disabling.

Last edited by prowler3; 12-27-08 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-28-08, 01:59 AM   #34
JScones
Navy Seal

prowler3, this is what I would do:

1. Unzip "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units.7z" into your SH3\MODS folder.
2. Open JSGME (or press F5 if it is already open). You will see a new available mod called "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units"
3. Disable "GWX - Merged Campaign" and/or "GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic" mods if they are enabled
4. Enable "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units"
5. OPTIONAL: Re-enable "GWX - Merged Campaign" and/or "GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic". You will get a JSGME warning pertaining to the Campaign files; ignore it.

Pretty much as per BBW's installation instructions.

Doing it this way means that if you choose to remove the mod, you just disable it and you'll get the original GWX optional mods back.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of recursive mod enabling, but it's not a problem if you stop to think a bit about how it works...
Old 12-28-08, 04:03 AM   #35
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Thanx Jaesen
It does get a lil confusing using a mod to overwrite an optional mod with another optional mod
lol
Season greetings mate

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 10:14 AM   #36
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

Looks like the rocks on the eastern shore of Holtenau lock are a bit luminous. Is there a nuclear testing site around the Holtenau lock that we haven't been told about?

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 10:32 AM   #37
mengle
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreford-Brown
Looks like the rocks on the eastern shore of Holtenau lock are a bit luminous. Is there a nuclear testing site around the Holtenau lock that we haven't been told about?

That's the star of Bethlehem your seeing ! :rotfl: :rotfl:
mengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 02:38 PM   #38
prowler3
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
prowler3, this is what I would do:

1. Unzip "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units.7z" into your SH3\MODS folder.
2. Open JSGME (or press F5 if it is already open). You will see a new available mod called "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units"
3. Disable "GWX - Merged Campaign" and/or "GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic" mods if they are enabled
4. Enable "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units"
5. OPTIONAL: Re-enable "GWX - Merged Campaign" and/or "GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic". You will get a JSGME warning pertaining to the Campaign files; ignore it.

Pretty much as per BBW's installation instructions.

Doing it this way means that if you choose to remove the mod, you just disable it and you'll get the original GWX optional mods back.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of recursive mod enabling, but it's not a problem if you stop to think a bit about how it works...
Just when I thought I understood what I was doing! :p It's not that I can't follow instructions...it's that I don't do it blindly without understanding why. I am also trying to understand this modding technique.

I see now that by enabling "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units" mod, several items get modded...the game data AND the original "GWX - Merged Campaign" and "GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic" mods. When you then enable these 2, you are enabling 2 modded mods (so to speak). This leads me to one more question. You said "if you choose to remove the mod, you just disable it and you'll get the original GWX optional mods back". How does disabling "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units" give me back the original GWX optional mods? The "modded mods" have already been written to the games Data files when I enabled them, simply disabling "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units" is not going to undo what the modded mods wrote, is it? I would think you would have to disable the modded optional mods first, THEN disable the "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units". This would then return the optional mods to original condition and then you could re-enable them, if desired.

Or do I not understand what JSGME does? I always thought enabling a mod wrote the required info to the data files once.

I need a beer! :rotfl:
Old 12-28-08, 04:52 PM   #39
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

If you don't want Merged campaign or Lite harbour don't bother enabling them....just enable both of BBW's mods (that is how I'm currently playing).

If after enabling BBW's mods you decide you want merged and harbour mods, enable them it'll be fine, BBW's mods will still be active.

Now after disabling BBW's mods your merged and harbour mods will be already installed.

Confusing.....you bet

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 05:07 PM   #40
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

LMAO
Oh brother

Yes you are modding a mod
Removing the main mod will return the 2 previos option - Lite and Merged - back to the ones shipped with GWX
Tis simple really

And why are you running both mods Jim ?
One has the locks and St Naz
The other has the locks and St Naz AND additional shipping

The first is for those with lower end that want the eye candy but not the additional load times with more ships

Any room under Chris's rock I wonder :hmm:

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 06:19 PM   #41
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler3
I see now that by enabling "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units" mod, several items get modded...the game data AND the original "GWX - Merged Campaign" and "GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic" mods. When you then enable these 2, you are enabling 2 modded mods (so to speak). This leads me to one more question. You said "if you choose to remove the mod, you just disable it and you'll get the original GWX optional mods back". How does disabling "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units" give me back the original GWX optional mods? The "modded mods" have already been written to the games Data files when I enabled them, simply disabling "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units" is not going to undo what the modded mods wrote, is it? I would think you would have to disable the modded optional mods first, THEN disable the "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units". This would then return the optional mods to original condition and then you could re-enable them, if desired.
Wow, you like detailed steps don't you, LOL! :rotfl:

You cannot disable "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units" without disabling "GWX - Merged Campaign" and/or "GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic" first because JSGME won't let you - remember, it won't allow you to remove mods if subsequently enabled mods have changed the same files.

In other words, for you to have disabled "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units" you must have already disabled "GWX - Merged Campaign" and/or "GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic". Hence how you would end up with the original GWX mods.

I did not think it necessary to convolute my earlier post with such detail, as we're talking about a basic feature of JSGME.
Old 12-28-08, 07:08 PM   #42
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
LMAO

:hmm:
My mistook....I'll disable the one without the shipping.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 07:23 PM   #43
IFRT-WHUFC
Engineer

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
Quote:
LMAO

:hmm:
My mistook....I'll disable the one without the shipping.
And there's me thinking i was a silly english idiot!?

RMAO:rotfl: !

Anyhow i've had s**t loads of hits to my GWX 3.0 fix and none of the GWX team as appologised 4 the mistake! maybe they did it deliberately? in 6 months? a GWX 3.5 Platinum!? I Can't Wait!? He! He!

here's me barred! OOPS

Rick
IFRT-WHUFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 09:09 PM   #44
prowler3
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler3
Wow, you like detailed steps don't you, LOL! :rotfl:

You cannot disable "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units" without disabling "GWX - Merged Campaign" and/or "GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic" first because JSGME won't let you - remember, it won't allow you to remove mods if subsequently enabled mods have changed the same files.

In other words, for you to have disabled "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese and other units" you must have already disabled "GWX - Merged Campaign" and/or "GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic". Hence how you would end up with the original GWX mods.

I did not think it necessary to convolute my earlier post with such detail, as we're talking about a basic feature of JSGME.
Yes, I like detailed steps, especially when doing something I've never done...like use a mod of this type. I like to know what and why I'm doing it...this philosophy has saved me MANY hours of correcting problems, in SH3 as well as anything involved with my system. I rarely "extract to your XXX directory" without first extracting to a temp folder so I can review what, exactly, I'm supposed to blithely put in my directories. I "assumed", after figuring out the "modded mod" thing, that I would have to disable the optionals first...and, no, that was never stated clearly. I do all this from past , very bad, experiences.

I'm sorry if you don't understand my passion for step by step instructions when dealing with something I haven't seen before and don't quite understand...but it won't change anytime soon. I understand the "basic functions" of JSGME, but when directions are given which "seem" to contradict what my understanding of these functions are, I'm going to ask questions.

So, I always RTFM...please make sure TFM is concise and explicit...unless you enjoy this type of interaction :p ?

Thanks
Old 12-28-08, 11:49 PM   #45
JScones
Navy Seal

Expecting modders to provide a level of detail to your preferred granularity is IMHO a bit arrogant. Even moreso when you openly admit that you don't trust modder's instructions anyway to the point of installing mods elsewhere so that you can review the files first!

Heck, I learnt long ago not to expect such detailed instructions from paid software developers, let alone modders. I'm impressed if a modder says "Install via JSGME in the usual way". And really, that's all they should need to provide.

Mod users expecting written detailed instructions from modders is, IMHO, akin to modders expecting mod users to demonstrate basic common sense and initiative. I'm sure you'd react adversely if I told you to demonstrate more initiative instead? It works both ways...somewhere in the middle is the common "happy ground" that suits both 80% of modders and mod users alike.

But continue to ask away...

Last edited by JScones; 12-29-08 at 12:05 AM.