SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-15, 06:20 PM   #1
meunomeeninguem
Swabbie

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default Maneuvering board

I've read in this forum that unfortunately this game does not offer this tool. So I've done some research to understand what he was talking about and I think I got it. However I didn't get what advantages it offers agains current plot tools. Does it offer any feature that cannot be processed/archived by current tools?

Regards
meunomeeninguem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 06:51 PM   #2
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

The maneuvering board:

In real life, exact ship position is not known or tracked in real time via a computer with a fancy navigation screen you can draw on like it is in game.

On a maneuvering board your sub (well, technically the guide, which will almost always be the sub in this case) is always in the center and always heading in the direction of 0.

All plotted positions are relative to the sub at the time of plotting. Simple techniques are then used to derive true course and speed, as opposed to relative course and speed.

Edit:
Oh, you can fake a maneuvering board in the game very easily. Pick a major grid line intersection and zoom all the way into it. This is the center of your maneuvering board. Put a circle here and an angle tool with one arm pointing due north. Whenever you want to plot a position, adjust the circle's radius to specified range and adjust the angle tool to specified bearing. Do not move the center of the circle or the angle tool arm that points due north.

Last edited by ColonelSandersLite; 08-30-15 at 06:57 PM.
ColonelSandersLite is offline   Reply With Quote