SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-15, 10:47 PM   #1
SJFriesen
Bosun

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0
Default Game crashing

Anyone ever run into a issue with the game crashing to desktop after a patrol?

Few things to note, it only happens after I have actually sunk some ships. If I leave port and then end patrol right away I don't crash to desktop. I will test a few other things but let me know if anyone has any suggestions on what it might be.
SJFriesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 12:35 AM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Often this sort of thing happens, if you have been experimenting with different mod loadouts. The game is touchy about certain things.

When asking questions of this sort, it helps to list the game version you are using, and the exact mod list (from JSGME).

Most every problem I've had with SH4 has been due to a mod change, or compatibility issue.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 12:58 AM   #3
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

I had this problem until I made the game large address aware.
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 08:49 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Often this sort of thing happens, if you have been experimenting with different mod loadouts. The game is touchy about certain things.

When asking questions of this sort, it helps to list the game version you are using, and the exact mod list (from JSGME).

Most every problem I've had with SH4 has been due to a mod change, or compatibility issue.
Specifically, if a mod calls for a certain kind of ship that disagrees with the ships available to the game, CRASH!! The quickest way to check this is to use the Museum. When you call up the offending vessel the game will crash, signaling you that you have a mod conflict.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 12:17 PM   #5
SJFriesen
Bosun

Default Mod list

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMOP__V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9 RSRDCv502

I downloaded but dont have running
3000 Meter Bearing Tool 1920x
Improved Ship Physics 2.6 TMO RSRDC OTC
OTC ISP Crew Mod
Traveller Mod v2.6 TMO

The game did crash with me running ship physics and crew mod but then crashed again once i played without them on
Old 08-25-15, 12:25 PM   #6
SJFriesen
Bosun

Default Update

So I went through everything in the museum and didn't crash. I also did the large address aware fix but haven't run a patrol yet so I will let you know shortly after I run to lunch.
Old 08-25-15, 03:46 PM   #7
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Yeah, I have also had crashes that where resolved by making the game large address aware. I suspect that the game is keeping the models and textures of all encountered objects in memory for some reason. When playing a modded game, this can be substantially more data than you would see in the stock game.
Old 08-25-15, 10:59 PM   #8
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFriesen View Post
The game did crash with me running ship physics and crew mod but then crashed again once i played without them on
As far as ISP is concerned, I don't recommend running it on an old career. Certainly not at sea. There are crew and special ability changes at issue. That is why I had to make separate versions for RFB and TMO. I had to change special ability elements to fix the battery issue.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 12:33 PM   #9
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSandersLite View Post
I suspect that the game is keeping the models and textures of all encountered objects in memory for some reason. When playing a modded game, this can be substantially more data than you would see in the stock game.
It seems that a few other heavy games i use to play (heavy in term of memory needs and horsepower requirements) like Prepar3d or Railworks, seem to suffer the same insane lack of un-used objects emptying from memory.

Could this be due to a bad optimized code from game's programmers, or is this because windows xp, seven or 8 can't handle any memory emptying at all ?

(sorry for my bad english, this is not my native language).

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 04:09 PM   #10
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

It's not windows, it's silent hunter. You would be surprised at just how fast your system would get unstable and crash if windows couldn't clear memory when told to.
Old 08-26-15, 07:34 PM   #11
SJFriesen
Bosun

Default Fixed

Did the LAA thing and haven't had a issue since. I do however save before docking which I didn't do at first.
Old 08-28-15, 01:06 AM   #12
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSandersLite View Post
It's not windows, it's silent hunter. You would be surprised at just how fast your system would get unstable and crash if windows couldn't clear memory when told to.
For sure, and, as a random exemple, Prepar3d users perfectly know it as "OOM error"...sigh...

It seems that switching between one heavy game to another heavy game needs a complete os restart, just to ensure the proper ram emptying needed by the use of next heavy one ...re-sigh, arrrghhhh, and !

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote