SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-31-15, 02:25 PM   #1
Tshark
Sailor man

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Default Gramophone and radio problem

I just started playing SH4 and have run into a problem with the gramophone and radio. On the gramophone it will only play two songs (the fourth and fifth track). The rest of the time it only plays the "needle static". On the radio I can receive nothing on the "Washington" channel. On the CBS channel it will only play the same song once then goes silent. I have checked the sound files in the data/sound/gramophone and radio directories. The sound files appear intact and play fine using Windows media player. All other sounds in the simulation appear to be working correctly. It does not seem to matter if I am in a training scenario or in career mode. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help and this fantastic website!

Mods:
Game Fixes Only MOD v1.1
Pacific Sound MOD
3000 yard bearing tool (1920)
SCAF for SH 1.5
Captain Midnights CBS NEWS sound MOD
Tshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 06:24 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Tshark
You Will Always Find Someone Here To Help You
New To Silent Hunter <> Need Help <> Click On My Thread Link.
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Treat Yourself To The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod <> SH5 The Dawn Of A New Beginning
Post #24 Shaefer’s Season 2 Let's Play Silent Hunter 5 YouTube Videos
Silent Hunter III from 2005 bring your game play to 2015 with the
LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod

This mod should be also used with Webster's GFO mega mod.
New Orders Bar Menu
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 06:37 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Tshark!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 05:19 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome Aboard Tshark

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 08:59 AM   #5
Tshark
Sailor man

Thank you gentlemen. I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying SH4. I played SH3 many years ago and thought it was okay. I really prefer the Pacific theater (flight sims and naval sims). With SH3 I just didn't have the time to learn manual targeting, but now I have more time and I am loving the complexity of the subject. I miss the old days of computer sims that came with a hefty manual (Silent Service, Red Storm Rising, Great Naval Battles), but forums like this make up for it with the personalities of fellow enthusiasts and the ability to modify/personalize the sim.
Old 09-01-15, 04:04 PM   #6
Tshark
Sailor man

I found the solution to my problem. I had an old SBAudigy installed. I had done this a while back to avoid any "RealTek" problems with the motherboard onboard sound and to free up the CPU. While I have had no problems with other games (including some with voice communication) I decided to remove the circa 2004 board and let the 2013 motherboard do its thing. Everything works great now and I keep discovering new sounds in SH4 that I didn't know it had!
Old 09-01-15, 05:45 PM   #7
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark View Post
I had done this a while back to avoid any "RealTek" problems with the motherboard onboard sound and to free up the CPU.
I'm curious why specifically. The realtek, last I checked, was the single most common pc audio provider by a very large margin and had been for quite a while. My current PC and my previous PC both use it and I don't remember ever having a problem with it. Any game made in the past 10 years or so that did not fully support realtek audio would be seriously remiss.
Old 09-01-15, 08:27 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

There is a long ongoing controversy over on-board sound vs a dedicated sound card, much as with video cards. I have had some problems with "hesitation" - the game freezing for a second or so - when somebody in-game speaks. Also, I get an occasional stutter when watching a movie or listening to music. To be fair, another player with the exact same setup told me he has no problems of that nature.

I don't know how good the RealTek system is, and maybe I'm wrong in wishing that I had a dedicated sound card, but that is where the problem, or at least the idea of a problem, comes from.
Old 09-01-15, 08:58 PM   #9
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Sounds to me like it's almost certainly a driver issue there. Have you tried updating both the motherboard and sound drivers in that order? I know that the sound is on the motherboard, but often drivers for non core parts are separate anyways.
Old 09-01-15, 09:53 PM   #10
Tshark
Sailor man

Simulations are particularly CPU intensive compared to most other game genres. When you combine that with the complexity of graphics, internet/voice connectivity, and surround sound settings, many believe that a stand alone sound card provides better sound while taking some of the burden off of the CPU. Also poor RealTek drivers used to be the cause of many games malfunctioning (this was many years ago when Soundblaster was the defacto standard) and I think that reputation still lingers some.

In my case I had built this computer in 2013 and initially was using the Realtek onboard sound chip. I got the SBAudigy card from another computer and decided to install it to see if it made any difference. I noticed no increase in performance. However, since I did not notice any decrease in performance I just left it in. Then along comes SH4 to correct the error of my ways!
Old 09-03-15, 02:22 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Same situation here. When I built my first computer in 2007 I installed a Turtle Beach sound card (Santa Cruz I think). The last one, which I built in 2013, I removed the Turtle Beach card because of compatibility problems with Linux and it taking up a slot I needed. I notice no degradation in performance at all and have been very happy with the on-board Realtek stuff.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote