SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-08-15, 09:30 PM   #196
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpoints View Post
I just recently picked it up as I got myself on a bit of a sub-fix by playing the superb board game Silent War. I had SH5 sitting in my Steam account for the longest time so I started with that a few weeks ago, though naturally I fully intended to hop in a fleet boat if I found I enjoyed the core gameplay of the series.

It was slightly disappointing not being able to walk (or float) around the whole sub in order to really get a sense of the size difference between the fleet boats and U-Boats. So far though I'm really enjoying the the more captain-centered perspective of SH4.

I'm currently running RFB + RSRD and liking what I see so far mod-wise, except for the lack of "real navigation". Being able to plot a nice neat search pattern in the middle of a typhoon and chugging right along it at x2000+ TC just doesn't work for me. Is there a current SH3/SH5 style RealNav mod for SH4 1.5/RFB? This is the only one I could find, and it wasn't compatible with either stock 1.5, RFB, or TMO.
I wonder why there is no Fleet boat interior mod, there are plenty of fleet boat museums in the U.S. So it is possible to see the full interior of a fleet boat.
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 10:13 PM   #197
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Quote:
I just recently picked it up as I got myself on a bit of a sub-fix by playing the superb board game Silent War.
Cool, a fellow boardgamer. Never played that one though, did you ever try Battle of the Atlantic? I wonder how they compare. Different designers, but they're both solitaire strategic level games. Well, unless the description I saw of Silent War was misleading.

@avers
At a guess it's probably because it's a *lot* of work and I honestly doubt most of us care that much about it.
Old 08-09-15, 08:21 AM   #198
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSandersLite View Post
Cool, a fellow boardgamer.
There are a few of us here. I should qualify that by saying my penchant tends more toward tabletop wargaming, painting figs and building models for our games.
Old 08-09-15, 08:48 AM   #199
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Cool, a fellow boardgamer.

Ahhh. The smell of die cut cardboard in the morning. It smells like Victory ...in the Pacific.

Thanks Avalon Hill. That's how I got my introduction to this theater.

Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 12:34 AM   #200
goodpoints
Watch

Downloads: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by avers View Post
I wonder why there is no Fleet boat interior mod, there are plenty of fleet boat museums in the U.S. So it is possible to see the full interior of a fleet boat.
I imagine it would be a huge amount of work, beyond just the modelling, getting the crew and player to be able to move around and interact seems like it would be quite a project.

When I was in cub scouts I got to sleep on board the Torsk in Baltimore harbor, and we got to have ice cream from the machine in the mess. (not sure if it's original or reproduction) I really ought to go back there soon, been a while since I've went. I'll also have to make a trip to Kiel some time to see the only surviving Type VII and really get some perspective on the size difference.

Quote:
Cool, a fellow boardgamer. Never played that one though, did you ever try Battle of the Atlantic? I wonder how they compare. Different designers, but they're both solitaire strategic level games. Well, unless the description I saw of Silent War was misleading.

I haven't heard of that one, is it this Battle of the Atlantic? (apparently up for reprint by OSS, who have been doing some good stuff)

Yep, Silent War is solitaire and on a strategic to operational scale and the intent is to take the role of COMSUBPAC by focusing on patrol organization and doctrine. Turns are weekly and individual subs are deployed to a choice of sea lane areas that evolve in density and type of traffic as the war progresses. Combat is by individual sub, but it's pretty abstract and is really just the place where you enact your target doctrine. It's definitely much more of a "study sim" (but quite addictive, "just one more patrol before bed") compared to Silent Hunter, you're required to meet/exceed historical tonnage levels at set deadlines or you get fired (game over) which can be extremely difficult. If the torpedo scandal as portrayed by SH4+mods makes you swear, Silent War will make you want to tear your hair out as you come up a few thousand tons short of a quota. I have had to set up spreadsheets to track stuff like weekly patrol/contact rate, contact/victory rate, tonnage/patrol rate, etc. It gives you a very appropriately cold and cerebral feeling of the nature of tonnage war, the designer (Brien Miller) describes it quite aptly as playing "the chief financial officer of the Grim Reaper". But if you want a well researched/tested simulation (the statistical model is designed so as to be able to output historic tonnage and sub loss levels when the historic patrols are inputted) of the US submarine campaign, I doubt you can find anything better.

As far as other sub board games, the same designer also has another game, Steel Wolves, that uses the same system as Silent War for the German WWII Atlantic campaign. (the system designed specifically to be able to simulate both campaigns) I haven't picked that one up yet though. He also has mentioned another entry in the series covering WWI U-Boats, but I haven't heard anything about that in a while. There's also a solo tactical WWII U-Boat game called The Hunters that I've heard really good things about. And of course, that designer is also working on a Pacific version of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post
Ahhh. The smell of die cut cardboard in the morning. It smells like Victory ...in the Pacific.

If you want to really wake up to the smell of die cut cardboard, how about Decision Games' remake (only slightly changed/added on to) of SPI's old War in the Pacific? 32 sheets of 1/2" counters (~9000 total) and 7 22x34" map sheets. Note: I, nor I imagine anyone who actually owns it, have actually played it.

For something slightly less insane (and actually playable), the 80's classic Pacific War by Mark Herman/Victory Games is supposedly due for a reprint sometime in the future.

Last edited by goodpoints; 08-10-15 at 12:42 AM.
goodpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 06:57 AM   #201
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:

If you eschew the look, feel, and smell of cardboard, there is always Columbia Games' Pacific Victory. Nice chunky wood block counters (which mask your deployment and keep track of losses), lower counter density (less than 100 blocks), and playable in well under an entire lifetime. Strategic issues are well represented.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 09:46 PM   #202
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Quote:

For something slightly less insane (and actually playable), the 80's classic Pacific War by Mark Herman/Victory Games is supposedly due for a reprint sometime in the future.
Actually, I do still own a copy of Herman's Pacific War. Unfortunately, my cat often pwned it when I was still playing. I would often find counters scattered all over the Pacific Rim. Was only too happy to switch to computer games at that point.

Old 08-10-15, 09:48 PM   #203
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
If you eschew the look, feel, and smell of cardboard, there is always Columbia Games' Pacific Victory. Nice chunky wood block counters (which mask your deployment and keep track of losses), lower counter density (less than 100 blocks), and playable in well under an entire lifetime. Strategic issues are well represented.
I do own Columbia Games East Front, although I haven't cracked it open in years. They used the same wood block system for the Russo-German war of 1941-45. I wasn't aware there was a Pacific War version.

Last edited by Torplexed; 08-10-15 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 09:57 PM   #204
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Actually, I do still own a copy of Herman's Pacific War. Unfortunately, my cat often pwned it when I was still playing. I would often find counters scattered all over the Pacific Rim. Was only too happy to switch to computer games at that point.
Poor baby!: you should have seen my mancave after the August 5.6 Richter Napa Quake; Complete Disaster! My Risk game, Avalon Hill Gettysburg, Shiloh-Fury in the West, D-Day and Midway board games all counter muddled together. Fortunately not one wine bottle was destroyed ...priorities I tell ya'. Took me four hours to sort out the mess...while the wife and daughter tended to the broken fixtures, sheetrock holes, broken dishes and insert-fireplace alignment issues of vastly lesser import!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 06:48 AM   #205
Haukka81
Medic

Downloads: 368
Default who is still playing sh4?

-edit-

Mod soup fixed, back to GFO and RSRD

Im may be weird but i really like to sail with S-boat, webster s-boat mod is great.

First patrol was quite nice, but i missed all torpedos ... I really have to wait that target is closer, max range shots and my accuracy is not so good combination

Last edited by Haukka81; 08-12-15 at 02:31 AM.
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 07:30 PM   #206
VonGlaus
Gunner

Downloads: 30

I'm baaacck!!!

After a long hiatus due to 1) computer problems 2) flying spaceships game and 3) finally getting the family into tabletop wargaming...

I have returned. Just re-installed SH4 on the new computer. Playing 1 mission first to remind me why I put TMO on right away.

But first, time to go find Silent War...

You guys are bad for me
VonGlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 11:01 PM   #207
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonGlaus View Post
I'm baaacck!!!

After a long hiatus due to 1) computer problems 2) flying spaceships game and 3) finally getting the family into tabletop wargaming...

I have returned. Just re-installed SH4 on the new computer. Playing 1 mission first to remind me why I put TMO on right away.

But first, time to go find Silent War...

You guys are bad for me
We hope so!!!!

Welcome Back.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 07:53 PM   #208
TCD
Seaman

Location: French Republic, a rare active NATO member for remembrance
Downloads: 0
Default I am!

SH4 2015 newbie.

And I find SH4 really has a "rocks" rated potential!

I've first started with SH4 patched to v1.4.

Now, as I have just received my ordered SH4 v1.5 DVD, I'm discovering all the new features that it's in this v1.5.

For the moment, I love starting at Manila, asiatic fleet, in 1941 with a Air search radar equiped Sargo Class sub.

Then I just head on to the Luzon strait, where about half the japs of that time invading South-east asia naval task forces will go threw.

And report ENY task forces encountered to HQ and attack.

Thus, the really good ENY AI about recon air patrols over the indeed military important Luzon strait makes it quit challenging!

Last edited by TCD; 08-30-15 at 08:01 PM.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-15, 04:43 AM   #209
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Best place to meet the jap invasion fleet on patrol one from Manilla, is between Luzon and the Lingayen bay to the south, where they land. Or go direct to the bay, sit in the middle and wait!! Nice Mogami cruisers, and loads of infantry ships. Its only local so hit the gas!!
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-15, 06:33 PM   #210
FrontierAL
Watch

Downloads: 30

The real question is, who doesn't? SH4 is awesome and will continue to be! I am using different playable subs and surface ships for mods, so when I have a bad day, I can blow stuff up.
FrontierAL is offline   Reply With Quote