SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-05-18, 09:07 AM   #1
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0
Default Hiding From Pesky Aircraft

A week, or so, ago I happened to sit VERY close to the bottom next to a sunken ship that was making a lot of noise. I know that it effects my sonar, but I also noticed that it seems to affect the MPA of the enemy in looking for me. I have since used the tactic to good effect.

Yesterday, while damaged, I sat between two ships that happened to sink close to each other and a Grisha III went right over me without detecting me. For shallow water ops it was a learned tactic.

Just thought to pass on.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 11:25 AM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Well, since you are sitting there, it could just be that you're making for 0 knots and therefore making as little noise as possible. Was the Grisha pinging?

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 11:46 AM   #3
Delgard
Skipper

Yep. And it isn't the first time that I have used the tactic. It was just rather blatant. Yes, I was at 0 knots, too.

But, I have probably done it...5 times now since I noticed that that the MPA just seemed to go away. Which goes to show that the "pilot" doesn't think that I might hide next to a sunken ship. That brings up another point about the AI.

Week later update; it works.

Last edited by Delgard; 09-15-18 at 08:19 AM.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 07:12 PM   #4
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Maybe I'm an idiot, but just last night I discovered I could shadow a merchant all the way to the coast for a land attack mission. I found one that was headed my way, so I stayed just behind and beneath him and was never detected. I even launched my TLAMs from right behind him. Conveniently, he did a 180° and I followed him all the way back out to sea.

I'm guessing I'm super-late to the party on this one. But my specialty is navigation, not stealth.
Old 08-14-20, 10:01 AM   #5
steel shark
XO

Uploads: 5

Default aircraft

did you know
there are more planes
underwater than submarines in the sky

Last edited by steel shark; 09-07-20 at 11:44 AM.
steel shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-20, 01:32 AM   #6
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Seems legit.
Old 08-16-20, 12:32 AM   #7
itsjero
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

I often hid near or next to a sunken ship to mask my sub.

Also, on one specific mission ( ive done this before ) i shadowed a large container ship from an aircraft that would.not.leave.me.alone. Its like it had the best MAD or Sonar detection or had a psychic on board. It knew where i was and the depth and everything. I was running at most 5 knts and often 0 and it would still find me regardless of my tactic.

So, as fate decided, a huge container ship was bearing down on my location. As it passed by ( im in a typhoon btw.. red october ftw ) i sped up and got pretty much directly underneath it. I even backed off a bit so i could launch some anti ship missles at the lingering strike group. Even though the launches would give away my position and the plane would come back around after it lost me in the ships shadow, it would never fire a torpedo or depth charges since it "knew" where i was.

So i kind of tested how far the computer AI would go. Would it fire on some regular people on a regular ship to get to me underneath? Lets find out.

Id ping the sonar to get it to come back after hiding in the shadow worked great. It was the only way i could lose the plane. But i was toying with him, so id fire a missle here and there and take out a long range target or activate the active sonar to give me away and have him make another pass.

This went on for about 10-15 minutes. I was convinced i could ride this guy out of the map and he wouldnt fire on me due to killing innocents.

But, leave it to the USSR to disregard bystanders. After about 10 or 15 minutes, the plane i guess just had enough of me and lined up right on our bearing come from the rear. As it got close it dropped what i thought might have been a sonarbuoy. Nope. Torpedo in the water! All head full and dropped a countermeasure.

But sure enough, the plane WILL fire on you if you are shadowing a civilian ship. It just takes awhile, and even if it means torpedoing the ship to get to you, eventually, it will.

Thought it was funny that he had enough and engaged. Sunk the container ship but i used that as my final out and bounced.
itsjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 01:12 AM   #8
meetnick
Swabbie

Downloads: 91
Default Evading the helo, and bear.

When the bear is dropping buoys, or the helo is nearby trying to locate you, I seen they will follow the decoys, and even torpedoes... I hear a lot about the plane and helo being on your tail and it being hard to shake them but so far I do not have any problems they are easy to get rid of.
meetnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 11:28 PM   #9
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetnick View Post
When the bear is dropping buoys, or the helo is nearby trying to locate you, I seen they will follow the decoys, and even torpedoes...

Interesting. I'll try it out, thanks!