SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-11-18, 01:02 AM   #1
fo3
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Game not launching crashes to desktop

Hi all, it's been a while. Got too busy with family and business but now I haven't got either anymore it's time to get back on the horse.
I used to play sh3 on an old s939 system and winxp, but when I took that PC out of storage I found the motherboard dead. Anyway, my main PC needed an upgrade as the ati 4770 card was too old for win10 or even linux mint so I upgraded my main pc and am using the old parts for a windows xp old game box. Stats are:
amd 1090t cpu, ati 4770 gpu, 8gb ram.
So I loaded that with winxp and some old games like cod, red alert, op flashpoint, il2 sturm, gta, vietcong and sh3. They all work except sh3.

I don't have the old cds/dvds anymore due to housing problems in the past, but most were saved as isos or daa files etc on the old old PC's hdds.

Previously in the old old PC I knew the SH3 image was workable if only as ver 1 (not sure if I ever got the 1.4 patch ever working). But now on this PC it doesn't even work out of the box, and I got starforce in effect even after patching and "no cding" it, and that's something that never happened before.
Iv'e done the full unistall, sf removal, reg cleaner every time I've failed to get it working. I've tried different patches and cracks but nothing works (each source I've tried for patches and nocds seem identical files anyway). Not sure if its hardware or drivers causing problems for only this game or what.
I've swapped and changed audio drivers and it isn't that (have no problems with other games either anyway)

I have searched and tried everything I know of, (obviously no stranger to nocds and patches). I've even found a complete version to download but that turned out just to be the files, no installer - but anyway I tried coping those files and no luck)
I've got the same problem as this person: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174447

I've tried dropping the desktop res (normal res and game launch goes black then straight to desktop) Low res and game launch does absolutely nothing as it doesn't even have to go black to try a res change.

I even tried it back on windows7 as maybe my hardware was too new for winxp and the drivers weren't quite right. It just says "failed to initate 3d engine" (Wouldn't normally let this starforce crap go on my newer PCs but I could format and lose everything as it was a new setup so it didn't matter)

So has anyone got any idea why this is being so difficult or know of any PCs or hardware configs where this game just don't work?

E: I have redone it and not got the starforce fault at all too but making sure the game doesn't load by unmounting the cd image. In that case it still doesn't work, nothing happens.
fo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-18, 03:01 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The only thing I can suggest is to completely wipe your computer clean of everything SH3 related and buy a newer copy or the download version from Amazon. They are completely patched to the last version, no Starforce and guaranteed to play every time.
Old 03-11-18, 07:26 AM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Hi fo3,
you say you have played it in the past on Windows XP. So I guess you own the PC-DVD of the game?
In this case you are in my situation and should be able to install the game following the instructions in the stickies. In short, the procedure is as follows, but please read the stickies!

- On Win7, 8, 10: Install the game *outside* of the Ubisoft default folder, e.g. in C:\SH3; the location where you install must be unprotected.

- Update the game with the official patch 1.4 and be sure to substitute all Starforce DRM files; these are NOT compatible with the newest Windows OS (read the stickies and find the download for the replacement files, replace the files.)

- Go in your grafic card setup and change the 'Scaling options' to 'Fullscreen' and 'Scaling with GPU'.

- Go in game directory, right-click on sh3.exe > Properties > check Run As Admin; check Compatibility for Win XP SP2.

- At that point you should be able to start the stock game; it will NOT support widescreen resolutions and you may get an error message: '3D engine cannot initialize'. If it doesn't start, lower the desktop resolution as low as 1024x768 before starting the game.

- If it starts, you are ready to install megamods or other mods for the game.

I hope this gets you started, good day...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-11-18 at 07:39 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-18, 07:34 AM   #4
fo3
Watch

Downloads: 3

I'm trying to run it on winXP again, as I used my old parts to build a winXP gaming box (want XP due to compatibility with even older games)
fo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-18, 07:43 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
I'm trying to run it on winXP again, as I used my old parts to build a winXP gaming box (want XP due to compatibility with even older games)
Sorry, I don't know what you mean with 'gaming box'. In Win XP, you simply insert the DVD in the drive and install the game... This IS a WinXP game. After installation, I highly advice you to remove/substitute all Starforce files.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 01:28 PM   #6
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
...Anyway, my main PC needed an upgrade as the ati 4770 card was too old for win10 or even linux mint so I upgraded my main pc and am using the old parts for a windows xp old game box. Stats are:
amd 1090t cpu, ati 4770 gpu, 8gb ram.

Did you use the latest video driver? or did you try an older driver from shortly after the newest games release?

I've noticed over the years that newer drivers support for older games on older cards can be iffy.

First suggestion would be to try a driver from 2007-2010 and see if it works.
Re-install DX9, might have to find the "re-distributable" version. Should be the one that came with most games.

Years ago there was an article on one of the game sites, that game companies were sending the GPU data in the wrong order, which gave horrible frame-rates on new games.
So new drivers with per-game tweaks had to be released.
Eventually I noticed that older games stopped working at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as MINT not working, the "Radeon" (kernel) driver takes care of all ATI/AMD cards pre-"GCN" (i.e. R5/7/9 2xx) and earlier. All the way back to (but maybe not including) the "Rage 128" series. I have a family member with Fedora 25/26 (I forget which, and I'm not sure if they've upgraded yet) using one of my old X1650 cards, so your HD4770 should work fine.

There have been many upgrades to the drivers in the last 6 months (give or take) specifically for the HD4xxx-HD6xxx cards.

If Mint 18 (I think, the new one) isn't working, and Ubuntu doesn't "see" it...
You might try one of the Fedora "spins" like KDE/LXDE/XFCE, but avoid Gnome as it uses the new "Wayland" in place of "Xorg".
WINE isn't yet setup to work with Wayland, Yet. (Supposed to be in the works.)

I had some trouble the last year with flickering in SH3/4, but Kernel 4.15.7 and newer fixed it.

(Heads up: Fedora is basically a "beta" for "Redhat Enterprise Linux". New version every 6 months (has upgrade program so you don't need to re-install), and support (i.e. updates) for a version last until 1 month after the 2nd "new release".
i.e. My F27 will be supported until 1 month after F29 is released.
Ubuntu and Mint on the other hand tend to stick with the same primary version, i.e. 4.14.XX, of the program to avoid new bugs.
But "new" stuff has to wait until the next version next year.
Might be the reason, updated drivers haven't landed in Mint, yet.)

Just a few thoughts on possible options with Either OS.

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote