SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-19, 12:53 PM   #1366
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van der Graaf View Post
Question, is it some known and common bug that when I come close to some ports I see smoke on the horizon and then as I look closer with freecam I see that some of the ships are burning? They seem to be rotated at wrong angle or placed too close to the pier and as a result get destroyed.
This has been discussed before. When you are within 50km of a harbor, you CANNOT use time compression higher than x8. I usually draw a 50km circle around any major harbors/ports. Zoom in on your map. If you see black piers, that's a major harbor. Put a circle around to remind yourself.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 05:05 AM   #1367
Van der Graaf
Nub

Downloads: 17
Icon1

woah, 50 km and 8x time compression, it will take a moment to get there :P
thank you for the info
Van der Graaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 06:46 AM   #1368
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

You will experience this even at TC 1... no way to avoid this bug (here at least).
It’s Wilhelmshaven harbor issue, but not others harbors it seems.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 08:31 AM   #1369
Wolfcat
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
You will experience this even at TC 1... no way to avoid this bug (here at least).
It’s Wilhelmshaven harbor issue, but not others harbors it seems.
That's untrue for my install at least. I did it for Copenhagen, Kristiansand and Heligoland. Both of them had burning ships and huge plumes of smoke. X8 works for me in Wilhelmshaven. However, I found sometimes when you reload a save in Wilhelmshave, you will see random explosions around harbor, but no huge plume of smoke and no visible damage after the explosion. What I usually do is get out of harbor as quickly as possible and go full speed at X8 TC until I clear of the 50km mark. Then I will save. Oh btw, I did NOT activate Christmas harbor and late war harbor mods. Not sure if those would have any effects.
Old 03-11-19, 05:13 PM   #1370
ericlea
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 109

Hi,

Drift ice mod (from jpb) :

https://www.designmodproject.de/foru...t-ice-treibeis

:-)
ericlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 06:46 PM   #1371
chipsranger
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 759
Icon1

Would it have some mod that decreases the number of Allied ships (neutral)? The game stops a lot or falls to the desktop.
chipsranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 01:40 AM   #1372
ericlea
Samurai Navy

If you have ram problem, try the second widegui mod (it is the same but lighted so eats less ram)

http://www.mille-sabords.com/forum/i...dpost&p=438940
Old 03-12-19, 09:18 AM   #1373
chipsranger
Machinist's Mate

Icon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlea View Post
If you have ram problem, try the second widegui mod (it is the same but lighted so eats less ram)

http://www.mille-sabords.com/forum/i...dpost&p=438940

Optimized ARB-Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920x1080 for WAC5 should really consume lots of ram.
My PC:
AMD FX 8350
SSD 240
16GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1070

with this configuration sh3 drops to desktop in a time compression 32

Last edited by chipsranger; 03-12-19 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 11:01 AM   #1374
ericlea
Samurai Navy

It is especially "full map" (included in the mod) wich eats RAM. But it goes well everywhere except in the big port of wilhelmshaven

Old 03-12-19, 11:27 AM   #1375
Wolfcat
Chief

Some of the data in the recognition manual is not accurate, especially the mast height number. The default vanilla ships are ok, only those custom added ships. Perhaps, some are based on chimney height rather than mast. For example, large cargo. If i use the mast top, my range is about 2000 meters off all the time.
Old 03-15-19, 09:44 AM   #1376
Wolfcat
Chief

I am on patrol 5. Some post action thoughts:

1. Sonar officer is sooo bad. Especially when asked to track warships. There are multiple times, the warship close by, you can clearly hear it loud on hydrophone, but your sonar guy just keeps saying no contact. One time it reports it can hear merchant ships 4km away but can't hear a warship traveling at 20kts at less than 1km away. He has all the metals up to iron class 1st class, promoted to senior and has radioman qualification, but still can't do his job right. (However, it may be a Hsie's mod issue not WAC issue)

2. U-boat's starshells fall too quickly: it seems regardless of your gun elevation, the starshells would pop at about the same height and quickly fall into the water. It is practically useless.

3. Torpedo: it seems side-impact hits are more powerful than under-keel explosion. My Scapa Flow raid, first try, I hit the battleship with 4 under-keel hits, but the ship didn't sink. 2nd try, I hit it with 3 side impact, it exploded in a giant fireball. Also, early war period, if you set contact fuse, it will reliably go too deep, but if you set magnetic fuse, it is not as bad.

4. Early war destroyers: I am pretty sure these ships are not equipped with ASDIC (at least I didn't hear any pinging sound). Somehow it can still accurately locate deep diving sub on silent running and at full stop. The first pass, I side-stepped the ship at pretty wide margin and depth charges fell pretty far behind. I went full stop on the last depth charge explosion at 150 meters deep. The 2nd pass, the destroyer turned and went directly on top of me. I maneuvered out of the position and 3rd pass the ship still found me and went on top of me again.

5. Too many friendly contact messages: Do I ever care about some destroyers departing Wilhelmshaven? (This may be Hsie's mod issue)

6. Shipping traffic too high: historically most u-boats came home empty-handed, not because their skippers sucked or their torpedoes failed. They simply couldn't find any targets. Here, I pretty much used up all my torpedoes before reaching designated patrol zone. The first mission I was patrolling in Baltic against Poles. I saw streams of polish ships and convoys escaping, many are very close to Germany's coast and even protected by polish air force. I mean seriously? What is Luftwaffe doing? What about Kriegsmarine's surface ships? No one cares about them besides a few u-boats?

7. Night vision bombers: in my Scapa Flow raid, the moment I hit my target, you start hearing swordfish bombers overhead. Without any flares or star shells, they immediately dived and bombed me. How did they see me? I wasn't moving and there was no wake in pitch darkness. They have night vision goggles?

8. Some special mission's instructions are vague and confusing. There was one that sounded like those secret supply ships/commerce raiders are passing Faroe narrows to head back to Germany. But it didn't give specific coordinates or date/time. It just says on "10.02". What's that supposed to mean? It definitely doesn't mean date because I am in February.

9. Game stability: 5.2 is way better than 5.0. I don't experience any in-mission crashes. The only crash I experience is at mission-loading stage. At early game, it rarely crashes. As the my campaign progresses, the crashes become more frequent. Now I would say I am crashing about 1/3 times at mission loading. Should I delete some of the old saves?

10, Can we put some beard onto the first Watch Officer? After months at sea, he is still so cleanly shaved.

Those are my observation so far. Will report back when I have more infor. Overall, the mod is great.

Last edited by Wolfcat; 03-15-19 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 02:35 PM   #1377
chipsranger
Machinist's Mate

Icon9 CTD

Optimized ARB-Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920x1080 for WAC5 should really consume lots of ram.
My PC:
AMD FX 8350
SSD 240
16GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1070

with this configuration sh3 drops to desktop in a time compression 32
Old 03-15-19, 04:42 PM   #1378
ericlea
Samurai Navy