SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-19, 08:17 AM   #7186
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Moving Steam games can get complicated. See their Support Knowledge Base article Moving a Steam Installation and Games for more information. The short story is that creating a new Steam Library folder is easiest, but if you only have a C:\ drive for computing, and the D:\ drive is the system restore and back-up, then you are left with either re-installing your entire Steam Library (which is the next easiest if it is a small library), or doing the 'move' as they describe in that article. No matter which way you go, it will take a while. When I re-did the Steam install on the old laptop, it took most of a day to do the copying, pasting and syncing that was required. Once I had things moved and was logged back into Steam though and syncing, I could walk away from the computer and let it do its thing... that process is basically going to re-install all of the games in your Library, is what it does when you move them... I ended up with "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApss \common \SilentHunter3" when I was finished. Notice also that I removed the spaces in the name "Silent Hunter 3"? I did that for a couple of the mods that require that for their installer routines.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-19, 10:22 AM   #7187
Capt. Charlie
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Moving Steam games can get complicated. See their Support Knowledge Base article Moving a Steam Installation and Games for more information. The short story is that creating a new Steam Library folder is easiest, but if you only have a C:\ drive for computing, and the D:\ drive is the system restore and back-up, then you are left with either re-installing your entire Steam Library (which is the next easiest if it is a small library), or doing the 'move' as they describe in that article. No matter which way you go, it will take a while. When I re-did the Steam install on the old laptop, it took most of a day to do the copying, pasting and syncing that was required. Once I had things moved and was logged back into Steam though and syncing, I could walk away from the computer and let it do its thing... that process is basically going to re-install all of the games in your Library, is what it does when you move them... I ended up with "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApss \common \SilentHunter3" when I was finished. Notice also that I removed the spaces in the name "Silent Hunter 3"? I did that for a couple of the mods that require that for their installer routines.
I just created another drive "E" and installed it there, installed GWX and it seems to be working!

I've only done one patrol so far, well one after I figured out you have to turn off the Indian Ocean and Black Sea mods to have any ships in the Atlantic lol. Not totally sure how to feel about the mod yet. I like the visuals and control buttons etc. I'm not a big fan of having to ID ships, I know that's more realistic but seems tedious to me. Also, I get radio messages in German, not a fan of my sub icon on the nav map or that big circle thingy. Ship type names are also in German, but I'm watching a youtuber now play with GWX and his ships are showing up in English?
Capt. Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-19, 07:55 PM   #7188
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

if i understand correctly, just change the English language from the game settings and everything should be OK!
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-19, 08:46 AM   #7189
Capt. Charlie
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanov.ruslan View Post
if i understand correctly, just change the English language from the game settings and everything should be OK!
I had read that the French Fix mod was a likely culprit and it seemed to be the cause.
Old 07-24-19, 09:01 AM   #7190
Capt. Charlie
Swabbie

About ready to give up with GWX. It was working reasonably well, only a very few CTD's, but today I started up on a save during a mission, played 30 minutes or so, the CTD. Loaded the game again, and it CTD's after starting the mission for just a couple of minutes playing.
Old 08-18-19, 10:12 AM   #7191
Kurt Dagger
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Default The problem of the lack of enemy aircraft

Installed this mod all is well, but for some reason there is practically no enemy aircraft for 41 years, but even off the coast of Britain there is no aviation. Please tell me how to fix this?
Kurt Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-19, 11:50 AM   #7192
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon2 Welcome aboard!

Kurt Dagger!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-19, 01:24 PM   #7193
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Dagger View Post
Installed this mod all is well, but for some reason there is practically no enemy aircraft for 41 years, but even off the coast of Britain there is no aviation. Please tell me how to fix this?
I'm thinking you enabled the Black Sea or Mediterranean mods?
Old 08-18-19, 01:32 PM   #7194
Kurt Dagger
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I'm thinking you enabled the Black Sea or Mediterranean mods?
No, I did not include these mods
Old 08-18-19, 01:34 PM   #7195
Kurt Dagger
Swabbie

Back in 42, I sometimes observed this picture: If you were spotted by destroyers, then aviation appears in the area. But there is no separate air travel (
Old 08-18-19, 01:38 PM   #7196
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499

Quote:
Are you running highter time compression than 512x because if so. You won't encounter aircraft. you must play at 512x time compression maximum if you want to meet aircraft.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-19, 01:42 PM   #7197
Kurt Dagger
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
Are you running highter time compression than 512x because if so. You won't encounter aircraft. you must play at 512x time compression maximum if you want to meet aircraft.
Yes, I really used time compression above 512. Thank you very much, did not know about this feature of the mod)
Old 08-19-19, 11:58 AM   #7198
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499

Quote:
Yes, I really used time compression above 512. Thank you very much, did not know about this feature of the mod)
It's a bug of a game actually. In Silent Hunter IV and Silent Hunter V is fixed.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-19, 04:54 PM   #7199
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

I wouldn't say it's "fixed" in SH4, just that the dynamic loading of the game allows a little more room in the RAM, but high TC can still bring the game crashing down around you, as well as getting one sunk... With 512x TC, a second in real time is over eight and a half minutes in game time... Time flies when you are having fun!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 09:25 AM   #7200
Noobicum4Ever
Torpedoman

Downloads: 36

After getting bored with the classic Silent Hunter 3 campaign, I decided to play the GWX missions!

The problem is that when the submarine is immersed, I no longer see the arrow on the surface of the water. I'm using the external camera and now is so difficult for me.

Also, on the map, I no longer see the ships as a line but as a point and it is difficult for me to do the calculations on the map.

Please tell me that I can solve these two problems!
Noobicum4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote