Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 04-01-10, 02:59 AM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

There were complaints by several people about the AI, and quite some people turned their back on SF - and not only because of my text back then. The installation was fine (and redone, for other reasons). people stucking with it usually were people craving specifically for a WWII tank title.

Sorry for the German phrase, "Schnee von gestern" does not mean the AI is bad, it just means the story the phrase refers to is no longer actual, the whole thing is history, outdated, nobody cares anymore.

Quote:
I would call it a Tank Training Simulation Software.
By origin it is, focussing on some - by far not all - aspects of tanking. Gunnery, and unit-cohesive manouvering, and tactical decisions are the focus. But for gamers using it, by handling it is not much different than using any game. Just the "game" mechanisms" work more complex in the background. What makes it a training software, is more additonal features and possible alternative ways of using the software. for the casual gamer, it can be handled and run just like any game. You can even tweak it into an arcade turkey shooting. Around one dozen armies use it professionally, mostly in europe, and mostyl armies that have no high density of hardware simulator cabins like the Germans (who are said to have the highest density of such installations of any of the Western tank armies). simHQ forum linked a video to the Danish army and their SBP training installations recently.

http://haeren.smugmug.com/Video/Vide...638_YFeNK-A-LB

I wrote it back then, and say it again: I do not think I compared SF and SBP to each other, and even said that in the conclusions, saying the quality gap is too huge that it makes no sense. My criticism of SF is not due to comparing it to antoher title out there, but because of the weaknesses of SF that stand for themselves.

I'm German, but sometimes feel like living in the wrong place. The craving for collective harmony at every cost pushes tolerance in Germany far beyond the limits and leads to tough discussions of important questions being avoided. I hate this attitude in German society. Always busy only on things and in ways were it does not threaten to hurt.

Some nice after-action reports from x-mas, teaching lessons (click them):

Tank platoon in defence

Target fixation - never good

Learning to punch with the fingers spread

Last edited by Skybird; 04-01-10 at 04:15 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 04:38 AM   #17
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Default Yesterday Snow is tomorrow's rain....

No apologies needed Skybird. I understand German and I knew that Schnee von Gestern means "it's Water under the Bridge " in English equivalent.(i.e it's past).

Even if you had been denigrating SF's AI it's your right and the fact that you had a negative experience with it cannot be changed.I have read many negative and positive comments about Steel Fury in different threads. At least it's a game that does not leave people indifferent.

re Germany, I am of German, more exactly of Prussian heritage myself( my grandparents were from Koenigsberg).I feel very close and proud of my heritage which I feel very much present in my philosophy, my attitudes and my character. However I find it hard to relate to current-day Germans.I find many of them to be neurotic, narcissistic, perpetually disatisfied, whiny and their politicians even worse except for a few notable intentions(Helmut Kohl, Helmut Schmidt, F.D Genscher etc). I also cannot understand how can nincompoops ecolextremists living in the clouds like the " Greens" (whom I call watermelons; green on the outside, red on the inside) or recycled marxist idiots like Der Linke get 14 to 18 % each of vote intentions....It make you wonder!

Anyway enough ranting.

Could you please post your links again I couldn't access them form your post.Unless you can post the full address?

Cheers
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 04:47 AM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

I checked, they opened for me.

Anyhow:

http://realandsimulatedwars.yolasite...he-defense.php

http://realandsimulatedwars.yolasite...t-fixation.php

http://realandsimulatedwars.yolasite...er-platoon.php
Old 04-01-10, 05:29 AM   #19
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default links

Thanks for the links!They work for me this time.

Yes German consensus.A wonderful quality in times of war and crisis but a plague in peacetime when you have to make deep-reaching reforms and everybody wants to cling to the old ways, dilute the reforms or simply create a coalition government to make sure all the angles are covered, everybody is happy and in the end nothing much of substance changes

I can read that you have strong feelings about Muslim( specifically Turkish) presence in Germany.Or perhaps about their unwillingness to assimilate....

May be it's a reaction to the authoritarian regimes of the past?

However when it comes to technology and industry German need for harmony and consensus pays off.Compare it to the French constant anarchy, unbridled individualism, unability to abide by rules and self disciplin...
Old 04-01-10, 09:58 PM   #20
Chromius
Sailor man

Downloads: 151

LOL, talk about hijacking a thread.

I have been away from tanks for a while, Panzer Elite was last one I played before gold. Are any of these moddable? and is anyone modding them like IL2 and SH? Did a search for tanks sims and mods and not coming up with much.

And if they had something as good as SBP in a WWII flavor I would consider spending the cash, and not the modded WWII. They really should consider a full WWII conversion of SBP, I dont even need updated graphics, just a full conversion. I think there would be more potential buyers than they are aware. I mean I wouldnt even think twice about shelling out 200+ nz for something like that. Same went for WITP AE and same for the New WITE when its out. They should have a poll on some of the other WW2 sim sites to see what interest there would be.

Last edited by Chromius; 04-01-10 at 10:19 PM.
Chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 10:37 PM   #21
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default WWII SIMS

Chromius thereīs nothing as good as SB in WWII flavour thatīs what our posts established.WWII-wise you have a choice between T34 versus Tiger which used to be a dead-end, buggy abandoned game but which is being revitalised and brought back to life by ZeeWolf see th threads related to that sim on the forum.But itīs not free although you can get the stock game cheap you īll have to fork more to buy the Kursk release.

Thereīs Steel Fury which is currently the best WWII title - only my opinion not universally accepted - itīs been and is still being modded intensively.

Panzer Elite is nice, I play it but letīs face it itīs like an elderly lady who īs undergone plastic surgery to look younger and ends up looking like a good-looking old lady.
Old 04-02-10, 03:13 AM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Chromius,

the conversion of SBP you ask for will not take place, never, because they are not in the gaming departement and the business goals - whose fullfillment pays for their bread and butter - get decided by a different branch of customers: and these are seated inside national defence ministries. For same reasons, they will never open their sim for modding by the community that goes beyond harmless cosmetic stuff, and scenario design. the mechanisms of the simulation's physics they always will keep their thumbs on. So, sound mods, and skin mods is all you get. there are some WWII-inspired skins, btw.

If you want a full WWII environment by visuals and models, SBP cannot help you. If you just want the manual way of fighting with tanks without any modern hightech gadgets and with those old optical sigths making your hands sweat when needing to swing the turret manually, this you can tweak SBP for. I described it in an longer essay that you can find in full in the SBP resources sticky at the top of the forum list. By doing like described there you fight a tank battle exactly the same way your forefathers did. But you will not get the cosmetic visuals of WWII.

It is difficult to fight and survive that way, btw.