SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-29-17, 01:09 PM   #1
Bear
Helmsman

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0
Default Dive Plane Quick Question

How come even with new boats, the dive planes work and then they don't.
Also, is there a preferred mod load order (patched only to 1.4)?
Thank you in advance for any useful information.
Old 09-29-17, 02:35 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Wellllll.... v1.4 does NOT have very many mods. If you've activated a mod that is for v1.5, that could explain the issue. There were issues in v1.4 though also, and might be a contributing factor. I do not recall off the top of my head what all was still broke after v1.4.

As for the mods, there are older versions of TMO and RSRDC that worked on v1.4. There is also Fall of the Rising Sun - no "Ultimate" word in that - v2.0 that ran on v1.4 SH4, but it's in German only, though if you can muscle through that, it is really cool, other than some egregious bugs later in the war, that can crash your career, but it is beautiful, and lots of fun to play. Lots of mods have issues in SH4 v1.4 (1.5 for that matter), due to the fact that the Stock game has some issues. For example, February 29th every year, including 1944... June 31st, etc. "Little" things like that...

I'm not sure what you'll find on the site here for download for v1.4, but do an online search and see what you can find. I don't think Webster did his GFO for v1.4, but there are some of his mods here that will work in v1.4, so "Search" for "Webster" in the downloads. Be sure and read the ReadMe stuff for the mods...

It is recommended though, that you at least purchase the Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific: Uboat Add-on. That would allow you to use many more mods, and it does run better than v1.4 - though it does still have little nigglies in it too... I used Amazon in that link, since SubSim gets a "shopping cut" for that link. - you could also watch for it to go on sale there or elsewhere. Do NOT use the Steam version of the Add-On if you don't have the Steam base v1.3 game...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 05:09 PM   #3
Bear
Helmsman

Downloads: 99
Default D'uh old brain

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I had not been able to pay any SH for over two years when my computer died. Yesterday, in a moment of clarity my brain reminded me that the dive planes would break if you dove at a speed above standard, as least that's how I remember it. As for the load order I did have some v1.5 mods mixed in but have cleaned enough to be playable. Thank you again for your time.
Old 10-02-17, 06:50 PM   #4
propbeanie

Yer welcome, Bear - good hunting! I only remember dive plane issues after a depth charging, but if you use RFB, maybe they're a little more "delicate"... A Crash Dive in most mods take you to Ahead Flank, so watch for that then...

Old 11-01-17, 07:13 AM   #5
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I had not been able to pay any SH for over two years when my computer died. Yesterday, in a moment of clarity my brain reminded me that the dive planes would break if you dove at a speed above standard, as least that's how I remember it. As for the load order I did have some v1.5 mods mixed in but have cleaned enough to be playable. Thank you again for your time.
is it 'dove' or 'dived' - just a thought??

I never 'use' dive planes I just say CRASH!! or normal dive.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 03:50 AM   #6
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
is it 'dove' or 'dived' - just a thought??

I never 'use' dive planes I just say CRASH!! or normal dive.
"Dove" is appropriate and correct as a past tense for "Dive".

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 06:25 AM   #7
Red Devil
The Old Man

must be an american thing,
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 11-02-17, 09:15 AM   #8
propbeanie

I usually use "dived" myself, but I am NOT an expert on grammar. However, the "Grammarist dot com has this:

"Dived is the traditional past tense and past participle of the verb dive. But the newer dove, which probably came about by analogy with similar words like drove and wove, has been in the language approximately two centuries and is now standard in American and Canadian English. Outside North America, where dived still prevails by a large margin, some might consider dove wrong."

Just consider "dove" (I say that as "duv" - the bird... ) as another one of our "yankee-isms" left over from the Revolution, and another mangling of the King's Language, even thought there's a Queen on the throne at this time...

Old 11-03-17, 06:45 AM   #9
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I usually use "dived" myself, but I am NOT an expert on grammar. However, the "Grammarist dot com has this:

"Dived is the traditional past tense and past participle of the verb dive. But the newer dove, which probably came about by analogy with similar words like drove and wove, has been in the language approximately two centuries and is now standard in American and Canadian English. Outside North America, where dived still prevails by a large margin, some might consider dove wrong."

Just consider "dove" (I say that as "duv" - the bird... ) as another one of our "yankee-isms" left over from the Revolution, and another mangling of the King's Language, even thought there's a Queen on the throne at this time...
Definitely the rebel in us Yanks. We also tend to "savor" our foods instead of savour, and use labor instead of labour, etc. Who was it who said we are "two nations separated by a common language"? Sounds like something Churchill might have said.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 09:55 AM   #10
Red Devil
The Old Man

I asked an american lady about the language. I always thought it originated back in the wild west days and before, when people who could write, spelt things phonetically. But she said some guy called Webster was asked to standardise American. The spellings come from him. Either way, wrong!! Now I'll leave the 'center/centre' stage and go to the 'theater/theatre' .....
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk