SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-17, 07:15 PM   #4366
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Have not done one in the Atlantic... But, if you put your boat in a SingleMission, outside the 20km range, and then drive toward a subnet that has been added to the game by use of "Ordnance", when you hit that 20km spawn range "SCREEEEEEEEECHEEEEEEE>>>..." and your speaker cones hit their full extension and do nothing but vibrate, you cringe, curl into a ball, and cry "Mom-MEEEEE...!!! If you start the same mission within the 20km range, "The NEW Sound" starts as soon as the boat interior scene starts to spawn... If you find one already in the game, I dunno. Haven't done one yet - but that's where I'm going next. For the time being, we've removed all the added AntiSubNets in the Jap_MineFields.mis file, and that is the only relief we've found. You add one net and approach it, you get "The NEW Sound"! The AntiSubmarineNetWav Banshee Sound.
Yea. I get that.
My point is to test the Placement method in the terrain folder.
If you have not done that you have not done everything.
Old 03-29-17, 07:56 PM   #4367
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Gotcha, other than: "What's the placement method in the Terrain folder?"...

All the AntiSubNets in the Fall of the Rising Sun mod where placed in a MIS file, and every single mission we've used for a test has used placement in a mis file by using the Catalog in it... ??

Now, if you're talking about the

AntiSubNet.dat
AntiSubNet01.dat

files in the Locations folder, and looking at Node 9, Placement - Col_AntiSubNet31 with some Object Positioning that I cannot relate to known geographical systems in my noggin... - and the 01 file has the same structure, with different "Object positioning", but they all point at Col_AntiSubNetxx, which is similar to the wav sound name (Col_AntiSubmarineNet.wav), but makes very little sense to me...

I have no idea what is in the SH3 folders, and unfortunately, cannot find my old (old) install disk... (old)

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-29-17 at 08:27 PM. Reason: AntiSubNet.dat
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 08:25 PM   #4368
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Open the AntiSubNet found in the Terrain\locations folder with S3D.
You'll see they are placed and unless you change that?
They will always be in Game just like Harbor stuff is.

Now to test this? Just change one to say an area you know has no nets.
then run a test mission to see if you get the Rockin Robbins on Latte sound.

Figureing out the distances is another matter for placement.

Lets take the placement for Manila as an example..........
X is 1950.648, Y is 0, Z is -877.4425

So take one of the Nets Placements and change to roughly that area and see what happens.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 03-29-17 at 08:37 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 08:37 PM   #4369
propbeanie

We have looked at both files multiple times, and cannot figure out what we're "seeing". There is no 3D model to be seen, and no immediately obvious way to interpret the "Object positioning" number system, nor the "Object to place" and its node number. None of the xyz holders have anything other than zero, so how are they rotated?... How does a person "see" where a net is? If I enable the Jap_AntiSubNet.mis file, I do not see a change reflected in either dat file... - we suspect something is missing in SH4, but can't be sure, of course. = nutz, we're posting at the same time...

Edit: so the Jap_ and US_ Minefields.mis file in SH4 is unuseable as a holder for a subnet? Can nodes be added to the dat files then, to add more nets, if we can figure where to put them?...

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-29-17 at 08:43 PM. Reason: wow!
Old 03-29-17, 08:39 PM   #4370
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

See my edit above.
Old 03-29-17, 08:46 PM   #4371
propbeanie

How does one "see" where a net is placed? I cannot find anything that displays the net, other than the dat file over in Library, including in the game... what is a known location in SH3 that we could possibly drive into a net in SH4 maybe?

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-29-17 at 08:56 PM. Reason: maybe
Old 03-29-17, 08:48 PM   #4372
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
Edit: so the Jap_ and US_ Minefields.mis file in SH4 is unuseable as a holder for a subnet? Can nodes be added to the dat files then, to add more nets, if we can figure where to put them?...
Say you test this placement and don't get the odd sounds.
Then you would be able to place them by trial and error until I figure out the World scale.
I suspect it's based on the map itself.
Old 03-29-17, 09:04 PM   #4373
propbeanie

There are a lot of mods, that over the years, have added a lot of AntiSubNets to the US_Minefields.mis and to the Jap_Minefields.mis files, the modders thinking they were doing right in their placement of the sub nets, using proper Ubisoft tools (the ME). The subnets ~do~ work in those files, I mean, you can see them, you can see other ships get caught in them, you can get caught in them yourself, and you do incur damage when in one... but you don't always hear the Collision_AntiSubmarineNet_int.wav sound when you hit one. We have not encountered the Collision_AntiSubmarineNet_ext.wav file sounding off yet... The weird part is, as you cross the 20km render line when approaching those AntiSubNets, ~that's~ where you hear the sound. Remove all the AntiSubNets from Jap_Minefields.mis file, and no more sound - but no more nets... ??

Old 03-29-17, 09:10 PM   #4374
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Is it only the Turk area that has this issue or everywhere?
and what about American nets?

Lets select a neutral are to test.
Easter Island.
Old 03-29-17, 09:57 PM   #4375
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Is it only the Turk area that has this issue or everywhere?
and what about American nets?

Lets select a neutral are to test.
Easter Island.
Before we go testing all around the globe, there are a couple of things that I think are important to note.

These Sub Net positions are set where they say they are! I've checked several times, when a .mis has them placed at a certain position....their in that position. They aren't moving with the currents; their stationary.

Second, they actually function as expected. You run into one, damage to the sub begins! Leave the sub on a Sub Net for too long, you'll lose it due to mounting damage!

Third, the sound that's supposed to accompany the running into a Sub Net doesn't exist when you run into the Sub Net. You'll hear all the other familiar sounds of sub damage taking place....bulk heads spliting, pipes bursting, glass breaking, calls for the Medic!! Yet, you won't hear the same sound of the AntiSubNet_int.wav "play" as was present when you either first started the mission within the 20k radius, or when you approached the 20k radius of where the Sub Net is positioned. The sound doesn't play when you think it should play....when you hit the sub net!

I say, eliminate the sound associated with the Sub Net, and let the sound of the sub damage let you know there's something that's occurring outside the subs hull.

We still get the use of the Sub Nets...... we make sure the AI enemy shipping lanes are "inside" the openings of the Sub Nets that circle enemy ports of call, so game play follows good expected enemy ship routes. AND we realize when damage is being inflicted on the sub, it's more than likely from a Sub Net placed around an enemy strong hold. We either stay out of the inclosed area, or take the risk of following an enemy ship through an area of protection, to gain access of the harbor.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 10:04 PM   #4376
propbeanie

CapnScurvy beat me to it, that young whipper-snapper...

No, Truk is not the only place. Most of thoes encountered are like that, but I am almost certain I've been other places by sub nets and didn't hear the sound. TC may influence that... One of our tests was off the coast of Southern California, Rockin Robbins favorite test grounds. I'd removed all the other subnets from the game, and made a single mission in the Mission Editor, and using the Catalog in there, grabbed one AntiSubNet out of the Japanese Ordnance folder, and placed it in the shallows, and drove straight at it with my boat (after saving the file, of course). I had drawn lines at 10km distances, since we'd already suspected it was the render distance as part of the equation, and sure enough, cross the line 20km away from the subnet, and got the sound. Start the same mission (edited) to be within the 20km area, and got the sound upon mission load. Remove the net, no sound.

CapnScurvy and s7rikeback have both done similar set-ups, and different ones. They have gotten the sound approaching the same as me, however, when they did come in contact with the AntiSubNet, it did NOT make the sound... but they did take damage. I've also had that, but I've also had them make the noise when I've hit the boat. You do have to be inside the boat in order to hear the sound. It does NOT play the ext version of the file...

I just got finished trying to noodle with both Terrain dat files, and can see no evidence of a AntiSubNet in the game. But of course, I have no idea where my net did get placed... Might in the jungle of Luzon for all I know...

So it's off to Easter Island tomorrow, where it will be April 14 again... Then I might do one off Christmas Island for December 24/5... Santa Claus is coming to town...

Edit: btw, you can "see" the nets too, in your periscope when you get close while submerged... We could even put marks on the US Skipper's Charts, I suppose, as the war advances, for "known locations" of mines and subnets... It wouldn't be "up-to-date" of course, and highly inaccurate... :wink: |;^)

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-30-17 at 04:40 PM. Reason: I can see clearly now
Old 03-30-17, 04:45 PM   #4377
propbeanie

As with my experiment off Manila, when editing the Terrain folder's dat files, I can find no evidence of a sub net anywhere...

Does anyone know where an AntiSubNet is placed in SH3, that I can make a mission with my sub close by, and drive toward and into the net for testing purposes, and for possible future edits to see how and where it moves?... thanks

Also, how many dat files, and what are their names & dates that are in the Data \ Terrain folder in SH3?...

Old 03-31-17, 04:15 PM   #4378
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
As with my experiment off Manila, when editing the Terrain folder's dat files, I can find no evidence of a sub net anywhere...

Does anyone know where an AntiSubNet is placed in SH3, that I can make a mission with my sub close by, and drive toward and into the net for testing purposes, and for possible future edits to see how and where it moves?... thanks

Also, how many dat files, and what are their names & dates that are in the Data \ Terrain folder in SH3?...
Any good
Old 03-31-17, 06:48 PM   #4379
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Did some testing after I got home from the latest job.
The Antisubnets stuff in the Terrain folder is not implemented.
They could be if they were placed in the locations.cfg file I believe.
That's how other places are placed in Game.
Seems the Dev's placed them but decided not to use the files?
That is checking all the way back to the very 1st release version of SH3.

I even removed the files and ran tests and no harm to the Game.
I'll do some adding to the locations.cfg and see what happens next.
Location added and this is what Missioneditor shows.

This is just a test in SH3 right now.
I'll do a test single mission and see whats up.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 03-31-17 at 07:06 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-17, 07:24 PM   #4380
propbeanie

I'll bet they hit the same roadblock we did...

If you start your boat outside the 20km "spawn line", and come toward the net, when you cross that 20k line, you should get the sound, if you implement them in the Location.cfg, and they actually have ~something~ placed... I'm guessing all AntiSubNet segments are going to be 200 meters long (or would they have used "feet" for this?... ). If you start your boat within the 20km "Spawn line", then you should get the sound as the mission loads and the Control Room comes in to view... Good luck Jeff-Groves. If we don't hear from you for a while, we'll know the worse-than-fingernails-on-a-chalkboard sound of the Collision_AntiSubmarineNet_int.wav Banshee Scream has claimed another victim...