SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-20-17, 08:00 PM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Holy Cow, I tried it now in VR. It'S awesome, some of the best I have seen in VR so far. The scaling is totally different,m the creatures are huge, and in huge qunaities small and big fish around. The sight in unbelievable. The illusion is unbelievable. The colours and motion everwhere filling your vision - un believable.

If diving is your thing, get this in VR. If you like VR, get this game. The visual impression is overkill. For VR, this is a must have.
Old 11-29-17, 11:27 AM   #17
kilerkg
Mate

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Holy Cow, I tried it now in VR. It'S awesome, some of the best I have seen in VR so far. The scaling is totally different,m the creatures are huge, and in huge qunaities small and big fish around. The sight in unbelievable. The illusion is unbelievable. The colours and motion everwhere filling your vision - un believable.

If diving is your thing, get this in VR. If you like VR, get this game. The visual impression is overkill. For VR, this is a must have.
It seems like it would perfectly suit VR. would you recommend purchasing a VR unit with the game selection currently or wait until they refine the hardware?

Last edited by kilerkg; 11-29-17 at 12:01 PM.
kilerkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 01:49 PM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

I knew that VR images are more blurry than what you see on monitor. I expected worse, however. What VR now gives me, blew my mind out of the skull. If you can afford it, go for it, it is much more than just "good enough".

But I also bought a very beefy system, I had to get a new one, the old one, seven years old, fell apart. I spend much more than I would have if I would not have had VR on the agenda. As a result I have quite robust reserves, and VR software of the kind there is now, does not bring my hardware to its knees. I do not need to make compromises in frame rates and inviting the risk of dizziness or nausea due to frames being limited, I can keep almost everything at the ideal and wanted 90 fps - in Oculus (on monitor, it sometimes is three times as high frames ).

Considering that this is just th first generation of VR headsets, and future ones will have more pixels and thus more demand for hardware specs, I would recommend to go "all in" if you buy a new system now and want VR. My specs are in my profile.

VR reall changed the way I see computer games. And Google Earth in VR - I admit first time I dived into it, resulted in emotional overload. Its magic, and its charming. Its a wonder that human mind can come up with somethign like THIS.

Not all software for VR, is really good or is even needed. And VR cannot serve well in just every purpose, you have to understand the limitations as well as the gains to judge what kind of software may suit this new medium, and what not. But there are some ideal combinations. And if you hit one of these, then - well, I said it already: it blows your mind out of your skull.

I am enthusiastic about it. So: yes, go for it. But I also say: know what you are doing when deciding on what hardware to buy.

Also understand please that I am not certain that it will be games driving VR further in the future. It could be other things, in fact many game genres do not easily lend themselves to VR, and first heavyweights in the business already have withdrawn again. I think this time VR has come to stay - but that it takes over the game market as well I do not take as a certain. Its possible, but not certain. For some things VR is fantastic. For others, not so much.

the limitations in optical image quality get more than just compensated for. You oversee them very fast. I forgot about them after the first minute.

Free stuff you want to try out: 360° videos (of high pixel resolution!). Google Earth VR, Vitual Desktop. Free demos: the little Robot by Oculus (the demo is called First Encounter), and the "Air Car" simulation, which is one of the most intense experience I currtently can have in VR, fantastic; and "Robo Recall", a game which indeed is very good. Mission ISS is giving you a nice opporutnity to disocer looks and dimension of the ISS, both inside and form outside. The game genre that benfits most from VR: racing sims. Best games I play on VR: Assetto Corsa, Raceroom, IL-2 Battle for Stalingrad (!!!) , Eleven Table Tennis, Subnautica, Alien Isolation (very intense!!!), First Person Tennis. My plans to get in the future: Aerofly FS2 (a flightism light, due to the fantastic graphics), Fallout 4 VR, Skyrim VR, maybe a Golf game.

To me, it was completely worth my investments, which were not small. But as I said: I am enthusiastic.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-29-17 at 02:01 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 05:44 PM   #19
kilerkg
Mate

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
)
Thank you so much for your detailed response Skybird, it's really appreciated. I've been a lurker here for a while but the level of helpfulness/friendliness on this forum is beyond incredible.

I think I might go ahead and buy one after the new year, hopefully they go down even more then! My system is around 3-4 years old at the minute but if it doesn't run too well I'll just upgrade it.

Again I really appreciate your response and can't wait to give VR a try!
kilerkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 08:56 PM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

Truth beign told, the price drop of Oculus, which is quite dramatic, was pure despair. Their hardwarwe, although being the doorkicker, does or did not sell well, they had to react. HTC Vive has sold roughly twice as many, and Sony even 4-5 times as many (late summer/early autumn).

I expect that prices going down, but whether it will be so dramatic so fast as with Oculus (-50% in less than one year), I have my doubts.
Old 01-11-18, 01:55 PM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

After three years in early access, Subnautica is now - after a last final delay late last year - confirmed to be officially full-released on January 23rd.

Online statistics show that it already has been sold 1.85 million times in these three years. Wowh. Not bad for an Early Access title.

Its also described by many critics and players as the best underwater theme title on the market. I would sign in to that description, I know nothing that even gets close to it.

3 Years in EA is long, too long I think, but then in all these three years they frequently delivered huge, voluminous and content-rich updates. They really were productive. Last patch arrived just today, another 1 GB upgrade added to the already installed 14 GB.

You dive on January 23rd.
Old 06-09-18, 02:26 PM   #22
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Picked this one up on this weekend's sale. It caught my eye two years ago, but I waited for it to come out of EA. And I think it's great. Not usually my type if game, but this one is well done. It's quite a nice blend of wonder, horror, great graphics and sensible systems. I am still new, but for the US$20 they are asking for it this weekend it's a steal. Even then it's normally just $25.

I've found it to be a very interesting change of pace from my normal gaming.

I'm not far along enough to comment on the story, but the game gets quite high marks for the story in most user reviews. Usually survival games are quite light in the narrative department, but this one evidently has a good one. But I gotta fix the radio first....

Thanks for the headsup on this one Skybird, it was this thread I think that first interested me in the game a couple years ago.

Last edited by Threadfin; 06-09-18 at 02:35 PM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 02:54 PM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

If you can, play it in VR. Its breathtaking, one of the best VR games around. The immersion and visual quality cannot be described.

When you go real deep, or into the open abyss, you learn what the term claustrophobia" really is about.

Subnautica gets top notes from around the web, especially where they rank survival games. After this long time now I still fullheartly recommend it. Its pretty much unique and without comparable rival.
Old 06-09-18, 03:26 PM   #24
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Thanks, and I understand it to be a great VR game, but that's not a possibility for me I'm afraid. And that's OK and a case of I'm fine missing what I don't know I'm missing. It looks great in tangible reality

It's just such a different game for me. It's refreshing. The undersea world is amazing, and I'm glad they went with an alien ecology. The way they've realized the flora and fauna is exceptional. Hats off to the dev team.
Old 08-30-18, 01:02 PM   #25
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Subnautica standalone expansion Below Zero announced

Quote:
Splendid sopping survival sim Subnautica is off to an icy ocean in a standalone expansion named Below Zero, developers Unknown Worlds Entertainment announced today. This was once talked about as DLC but naw it’ll now be its own separate thing, entering early access “in the coming months”. UWE are keeping relatively quiet for now, showing a few concepts for new alien oceanlife while muttering “We’re still in early stages and nothing is set in ice”. That said, folks who don’t mind spoilers or potential disappointment can follow their public dev board to see all the wonders and horrors that may make it in. I’ve had a peek and ooooh!
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-18, 02:36 PM   #26
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

A definite buy for me. I really loved Subnautica. I enjoyed the whole ride.

Assuming the new one is at least as good as the first one, it's a no-brainer for me.

There are so many great things about it. The graphics, the exploration, the discovery. I was amazed by the beauty and diversity of the various biomes, and felt compelled to explore every inch of the map. I had a blast building my bases too.

I make it a point to judge games on what they are, not what they are not or what I wish they were. So while I can think of many ways Subnautica could have been better, for me, I still had a great time playing this game. For me it was one of those games that grabbed me, when maybe I didn't think it would. XCom and Borderlands 2 were the same way. Didn't know what to expect exactly, or whether I would like it, then proceeded to drop hundreds of hours in to it. Love those sorts of games.

Just a shot o my 'main' base for my Subnautica run. I had various smaller bases in different locations, but this was the main one. Dual moonpools, and all the trappings of your run-of-the-mill everyday living, research and construction base on an alien planet. And underwater too

Great game, looking forward to the next adventure.

Wow, pic was way too big. Clicky. This shot was in mid-construction it would appear. No second moonpool yet for example, alot less glass than it would have later on

Subnautica Main Base

And from a different angle. Base had two structures above the water, to remind me that life existed above the surface, and was thermal powered. Shot taken from inside the Prawn mech suit, with the Cyclops sub to the right.

Different angle, and daytime

Last edited by Threadfin; 08-30-18 at 02:51 PM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-18, 07:20 AM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

Early Access of Subnautica took too much time for my taste, but they went through it all and delivered a final, solid product. I tend to think that EA programs should not last for longer than one year.

The original game still creeps the hell out of me in certain situations, since in VR it all comes in squared intensity.

Looking forward to the new game. But probably will not buy into the "early" Early Access. It spoils the storyline.
Old 08-31-18, 09:13 AM   #28
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Same here, and that's the tack I took with the first one. Glad I did as I got the full experience anew. I'll wait for this one to finish as well. You'd think that with one Subnautica under their belts that the next one could go more smoothly (and quickly) but that's rarely how it seems to work.

There were times I felt creeped out as well, especially when encountering leviathans for the first time (the first time I got a fleeting glimpse of something far bigger than I imagined was awesome), but also in some caverns and just the inky depths where you can't see anything but are sure something is close by.

And also depth. It's just a game, but if you are able to suspend that disbelief, you can feel a sort of creeping claustrophobia, or whatever the depth-induced version of that is, when going very deep. In a discussion about Subnautica at another forum I made mention of how much I appreciated the fact that the devs didn't put in lots of gasping and breathing sounds like some games have. Subconsciously it made a big difference. In some games I find I am holding my breath as I play when underwater. Far Cry for whatever reason had a definite effect on me this way. Subnautica was far more relaxing in this regard. Near the pod, in the Safe Shallows it was mesmerizingly peaceful. Really enjoyed the whole experience.
Old 09-02-18, 05:20 AM   #29
Skybird
Soaring

Yeah, the deep, deep depth. Just floating in the middle of an invisible nowhere and seeing no ground anymore, and then the calling of creatures from - just anywhere.

Brilliant.

I would hope they give it a less cartoonish, more photorealistic job this time. With engines like U4E, magic is possible.