Old 02-16-18, 07:03 AM   #436
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
This is so dumb it hurts.
"Hey, what's your opinion on the situation", "Well, this and that and that and this.", "Hell no, I don't like that opinion, give me a different one that I'll like more....". WTH?
Yeah, that surprised me greatly. I mean, the commanding figures in Finland are aware of the situation, they have no illusions about the direction the war is going in, so what's the point?

One explanation could be to appease the Germans.

I don't think I've posted this anywhere, but it is worth checking out:
https://forum.axishistory.com/viewto...?f=59&t=175436

Starting from page 2, member called "Lotvonen" has translated dozens of veterans' stories in english.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 08:41 AM   #437
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Just re-posting my book comments to above. Seems as early as summer 1942 some German Generals could see what was on the horizon.

Dowly, with the German defeat at Stalinggrad and almost collapse of their Southern Front which was saved my Manstein, when did Finland start opening talks with Russia?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
With Paulus at Stalingrad

Colonel Wilhelm Adam, senior ADC to General Paulus, commander of the German 6th Army at Stalingrad, wrote a compelling and controversial memoir describing the German defeat, his time as a prisoner of war with Paulus, and his conversion to communism. Now, for the first time, his German text has been translated into English.
Another interesting point of view, German Generals were fearing the war was heading for defeat after their victory outside Kharkov 1942. The price was too high and this was all before Case Blue.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 05:23 AM   #438
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Dowly, with the German defeat at Stalinggrad and almost collapse of their Southern Front which was saved my Manstein, when did Finland start opening talks with Russia?
Peace feelers began almost immediately by the US in late February, but these lead to nowhere as Molotov was not willing to tell SU's minimum demands to Finland.

I'll write about it in more detail once we get there.
Old 02-18-18, 05:28 AM   #439
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Peace feelers began almost immediately by the US in late February, but these lead to nowhere as Molotov was not willing to tell SU's minimum demands to Finland.

I'll write about it in more detail once we get there.
Looking forward to that.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 04:05 AM   #440
Dowly
Lucky Jack

17 February 1943

Bombers from LeLv46 and 48 set out to bomb a Russian airfield in Eastern Karelia. The sortie is however called back due to worsening weather conditions, but the message doesn't go through. On their return leg a blizzard hits the formation, downing seven out of the nine planes. Five men are killed and three are wounded.

Finnish daily losses: 15

Soldier and his dog. (Hämeenlinna training center)

18 February 1943

Rukajärvi/14.D.: "Our patrol was ambushed by a strong enemy unit in blizzard at [coordinates]. We lost one man dead, one wounded and two are missing. Units sent to pursue the enemy."

Finnish daily losses: 12

Cozy looking dug-out. (Lempaala)

19 February 1943

AOK Norwegen: "In the center sector we've encircled and destroyed a company size enemy unit. Enemy losses 54 KIA, 21 POW (including the company CO). Own losses 6 KIA, 32 WIA.

Finnish daily losses: 19

20 February 1943

Maaselkä: "Russians attacked our positions in the Mindasjärvi area early in the morning, partly managing to get past our obstacles. The enemy withdrew after an hour of fighting leaving behind 25 (counted) KIA."

Finnish daily losses: 23

Men listening for news about the war. (Karelian Isthmus)

21 February 1943

In a meeting with US Chargé Robert McClintock, President Ryti says outright that while the war will be long, the outcome is clear: The Soviet Union will defeat Germany. Ryti states also that in his opinion the Baltic states are already doomed, and perhaps even Finland, to fall to the Bolsheviks. He concludes that if peace is not an option then Finland rather continues to fight to the end instead of suffering the same fate as the Baltic states.

Newlyweds Helga Partti and Lieutenant Kai Jansson of IR 2. (Svir front)

22 February 1943

Karelian Isthmus: "Our 15 man patrol attacked an enemy base on the north side of the Ohta road, killing at least 20 and taking one prisoner, further the patrol destroyed two dug-outs with satchel charges. Patrol suffered no losses."

Jägers from IR 11 have just returned back from a patrol. (Rukajärvi area)

23 February 1943

No entry.

Finnish daily losses: 13
Old 03-02-18, 02:56 AM   #441
Dowly
Lucky Jack

24 February 1943

No entry.

Pilots of 3/LeLv 24 commanded by Captain Jorma Karhunen. (Suulajärvi)

25 February 1943

AOK Norwegen*: "120-man strong enemy detachment has attacked against one of our bases on the north side of Salla."

Finnish daily losses: 11

*Actually these are the Finnish liason HQ's (Yhteysesikunta Roi) reports in the HQ war diary, but I just call it the AOK Norwegen since that's what they are reporting about.

26 February 1943

No entry.

27 February 1943

Aunus/Olonets: "Enemy base on the southern end of Konevsaari island was attacked by our patrol at 0100hrs. In storming the trenches they killed 21 enemy soldiers, took three prisoners and destroyed two living dug-outs and two machine gun positions."

Finnish daily losses: 20

28 February 1943

Rukajärvi/14.D.: "Heavy artillery and rocket (Katyusha) fire on our positions all day."

Finnish daily losses: 18

Snipers Pfc. Ervasti and Pfc. Vähäkuopus. (Uhtua area)

1 March 1943

President Ryti's second term begins.

Karelian Isthmus: "In the Tappari road direction, our patrol led by Lieutenant Kantola (IR 16) managed to get inside the living area of an enemy base where they killed a Senior Lieutenant and four other Red Army soldiers. Patrol returned with no losses."

Finnish daily losses: 10

Marshal Mannerheim awarding soldiers with the Mannerheim Cross. (Mikkeli, HQ)

2 March 1943

Maaselkä: "One of our artillery fire control positions were attacked during the night about a kilometre southwest from Poventsa by a 40-man enemy unit. The defenders managed to push the enemy back after a short firefight"

Since the National Achives have started to digitise the service records of those who died in the wars, I decided to incorporate them to my write up to give some names behind the numbers.
(The digitizing is in its infancy with only 1,500 records so far)

V.I. Anttikoski.
He was a private (tag #395322) born in 1920 in (or living in) Evijärvi and he was a farmer.
He was called to service on the 23th of March 1940 and was ordered to PP2 (says nothing to me -D). 16 August '41 he was transferred to 1/URR (Uusimaa Dragoon Regiment).
He was sent at first to Field Hospital 26 on 16 August '42 and transferred on 29 August '42 to Field Hospital 55 where he died on 27 February '43 of pneumonia, aged 23. He was not married.

Last edited by Dowly; 03-09-18 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-02-18, 04:29 AM   #442
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Keep it up.
Old 03-02-18, 11:54 AM   #443
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Keep it up.
Thanks Schroeder, I will.
Old 03-02-18, 01:43 PM   #444
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Posts #431, #432, #433 and #434 updated with info about someone who died during that period.
Old 03-09-18, 02:53 AM   #445
Dowly
Lucky Jack

3 March 1943

The city of Joensuu is bombed twice during the night, two people are killed.

4 March 1943

The German liason officer Waldemar Erfurth again asks Marshal Mannerheim to continue attacks towards the Murmansk railroad. Mannerheim's reply is: "I'm done attacking. I've lost enough men already."

Karelian Isthmus: "Supported by artillery and mortars, one of our combat patrols breached inside an enemy base on the south side of the Ohta road. The patrol destroyed a large rock/log machine gun bunker and a living dug-out. After this the patrol continued to storm the trenches, causing estimated 35 KIA to the enemy. Own losses 3 KIA, 6 WIA."

Combat engineers storming an enemy bunker during training. (Aunus)

5 March 1943

No entry.

Finnish daily losses: 8

Laying ice mines. (Kuuttilahti)

Ice mines:
http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/landmines2.htm

6 March 1943

Maaselkä: Finns destroy six enemy dug-outs near Poventsa. (The HQ war diary makes no mention of this. -D

Finnish daily losses: 11

Young boy prepares for his school's skiing competition. (Aunus)

7 March 1943

Josef Stalin becomes the Marshal of the Soviet Union.

8 March 1943

Commander of the MTB "Syöksy", CWO Toimi Ovaskainen ("Wolf of Gulf of Finland") is awarded the Mannerheim Cross.

Finnish daily losses: 21

Pfc. Gummerus. (Svir/17.D.)

9 March 1943

No entry.

Missing 2 March added to last entry.
Old 03-16-18, 06:05 AM   #446
Dowly
Lucky Jack

10 March 1943

Kotka is bombed. One civilian is killed and four wounded.

Sentry at Rukajärvi.

11 March 1943

Aunus Group: "Our snipers have killed 43 enemies between 1.-10. March."

Maaselkä Group: "Our Snipers have killed 51 enemies between 1.-10. March."

12 March 1943

US ambassador William H. Standley meets with Molotov in Moscow to discuss the possibility of the US acting as intermediary in possible peace negotiations between the Soviet Union and Finland.

Quote:
For the Acting Secretary. Our [Your] 126, March 9, 10 p.m. After referring to our conversation of [January] 29 I read to Molotov last evening a carefully prepared statement setting forth all the considerations contained in your telegram. Molotov at first stated that the answer to your proposal would depend on the attitude of the present Finnish Government and asked me how the American Government evaluated that attitude; specifically whether there were any indications that the Finns desired to withdraw from the war and initiate negotiations. I replied that we had not sounded out the present Finnish Government on the matter and therefore had no definite information; that as I had stated we were prepared to do so but we thought it would be helpful if we knew for our personal guidance whether if we obtained indications that the Finns desired peace the Soviet Government would accept the United States as an intermediary. I added that in my opinion there must be some basis for the belief that the Finns desired peace otherwise any [my?] Government would not have made the proposal to act as intermediary. Molotov then stated “he was, of course, interested in the proposal; however, to judge whether it would be advisable to adopt a positive decision in the matter it was necessary to ascertain whether there are any prospects of success”. He repeatedly expressed interest in our evaluation of the Finnish desire to withdraw from the war and I stated that I would seek your views on this question.

Molotov promised to inform his Government of your proposal and to communicate with me again.

Throughout the conversation he made no mention whatsoever in regard to the conditions of peace.
Source: https://history.state.gov/historical...us1943v03/d171

13 March 1943

Finland receives its first 16 Messerschmitt Bf 109 G2 fighters from Germany.

Detachment Marttina's 28-man LRRP unit is ambushed near Jelettijärvi while crossing lake Astamajärvi. Five men are killed.

The book "Sissisotaa Kaukopartiossa - Osasto Marttinan partiokertomukset 1943-1944" while containing a good number of patrol reports, makes no mention of this patrol. It is possible the records were lost as part of "Operation Stella Polaris" -Dowly

The scarred terrain at Summa.

14 March 1943

No entry.

Assault team rushing through the gap in the obstacles. (training)

15 March 1943

Karelian Istmus: "One of our patrols attacked an enemy forward base in the Lempaala area. Three living dug-outs were destroyed along with estimated 15 enemies. Own losses 1 officer + 7 NCOs."

Finnish daily losses: 16

16 March 1943

Detachment Puustinen's large LRRP unit (581 men) attacks the village of Jeljärvi and destroys approximately 30 buildings used as storages. Further, the unit cuts the Murmansk track in several spots. The unit loses 33 men as KIA/WIA/MIA.

14.D/Rukajärvi report in HQ's war diary:

Quote:
Detachment Puustinen started its attack in Jeljärvi at 1015hrs. Own planes provided aerial cover starting from 1100hrs. Pilots report that the Jeljärvi RR station was on fire and a building near it had been exploded. Many dead horses around the area. In the village itself, eight buildings on fire, one blown up. On the south side of the village, six long storage buildings on fire, on the southeast side of the airfield three buildings on fire. Downed six enemy planes, four unconfirmed. Enemy reinforcements seen in the Onihmajärvi terrain. Detachment Puustinen withdrew from Jeljärvi at 1212hrs. Enemy seen pursuing them at 1300hrs. Estimated enemy losses 85 dead.
Finnish daily losses: 30
Old 03-23-18, 01:13 AM   #447
Dowly
Lucky Jack

17 March 1943

LeLv 42's bombers strike Jeljärvi train station and the village of Semskaja.

Finnish daily losses: 24

18 March 1943

AOK Norwegen: "Enemy planes attacked the Alakurtti airfield this morning. Our fighters shot down seven or eight enemy planes."

19 March 1943

Aunus Group: IR 50 attacks and captures an enemy base in the Suur Kuzrajärvi area.

Quote:
Artillery preparations began at 0729hrs, the attack followed a minute later. By 0900hrs the new front line had been established everywhere but on the western end where a single bunker was still putting up fierce resistance. Enemy counter-attacked at 1300hrs unsuccessfully. By evening the western end of the line had been captured and enemy positions still offering resistance had been encircled. Further two enemy counter-attacks repelled.
Finnish daily losses: 51

Marching towards the staging area.

Waiting for the attack the begin.

The battle has began and first wounded men are being taken to the rear.

Exhausted.

Destroyed Russian bunker.

Fighting in the enemy positions.

Russian bunker hit with a flamethrower.

This Russian POW fell asleep as soon as he was brought to the command post.

Entrance to a heavily fortified bunker (6 layers of logs as roof).

Flamethrower softening Russian positions during the night.

20 March 1943

McClintock meets with Finland's Foreign Minister Ramsay to discuss the possible peace negotiations between Finland and the Soviet Union.

Quote:
Ramsay said that there were numerous “practical difficulties” in the way of concluding a separate peace with Russia and he likened it to yacht racing where the question of time was an important factor—when to tack or when not to come about. I observed that there was a new weather mark and that it might be time to come about. The Foreign Minister said he did not think that economic aspect of leaving Germany was so important and I had impression he did not regard threat of possible German military reprisals as grave. He said, however, that principal difficulty was that Finns simply could not trust Russians and their experience of Winter War and interim between that conflict and present war had amply confirmed their distrust of Soviet intentions. He said that what his Government feared would be that following the conclusion of a peace even under American auspices they would find that every few months or so Soviet Government would make fresh demands for concessions on the part of Finland. He expressed doubt whether American Government could prevent Soviet Government from following such a policy and said rather than accept such a situation it was better to go on fighting.
Telegram in full: https://history.state.gov/historical...us1943v03/d174

Helsinki is bombed by 30 enemy planes. First use of incendiary bombs against civilian targets in Finland.

Finnish daily losses: 38

Detachment Puustinen's men returning across lake Ontajärvi.

21 March 1943

Aunus Group: Last enemy pockets in the Suur Kuzrajärvi area have been cleared. Total of 11 enemy counter-attacks have been repelled. Enemy casualties estimated at 500-600 dead or wounded.

Finnish daily losses: 17

Anti-air guns firing. (Helsinki)

22 March 1943

President Ryti invites Mannerheim and leading politicians to discuss the United States' offer regarding peace negotiations.

23 March 1943

No entry.

Old 03-30-18, 06:09 AM   #448
Dowly
Lucky Jack

24 March

Molotov tells US Ambassador Standley exclusively of the Soviet Union's minimum requirements for starting peace talks with Finland:

Quote:
"The Soviet Government must warn the Government of the United States that it does not find it
possible to take the initiative in the question under discussion. However, it desires to
communicate to it, exclusively for the information of the American Government, its point of view
in respect to the minimum terms that it would be prepared to accept in negotiations looking for a
separate peace. These terms are as follows:

(1) Immediate severance of Finland from Germany and removal of German troops from Finland.
(2) Restitution of the Soviet-Finnish treaty of 1940 with all the consequences arising therefrom.
(3) Demobilization of the Finnish Army and transformation thereof to peace time status.
(4) Recompensation for at least one half of damage caused to the Soviet Union by Finland in the present war.

Since Finland violated its treaty of peace with the Soviet Union the Soviet Government could
demand of Finland full recompensation for damages caused by Finland and complete disarmament of
Finland. However, the Soviet Government does not desire to take vengeange on Finland and for this
reason does not lay down these terms."
Source: https://history.state.gov/historical...1943v03/pg_255 (Pg. 255-256)

The next telegram after Standley's (pg.256) gives an assesment of Finland's view on such terms.
TL;DR: "The Finns would construe the terms outlined in the telegram under reference as deliberately designed to destroy their national existence and would undoubtedly prefer to perish in resistance rather than to accept them."

Finland's Foreign Minister Ramsay asks McClintock for further information about possible peace terms.

Colonel Oiva Willamo -- the liason officer to the German HQ in north Finland -- says during a dinner in the Finnish HQ in Mikkeli that he made a promise on 16 May 1942 that he will not touch any alcohol other than red wine before Leningrad falls. Mannerheim tells him of a similar situation where during WW1 a Russian officer promised to not shave his beard until Berlin was captured, ending his story with "Poor boy! His beard must've outgrown him by the end!"

The newly acquired Messerschmitt 109s of LeLv 34 score first kill, a Russian Pe-2 over the coast of Estonia.

I/Infantry Regiment 5 captures a large enemy base on the Maaselkä Isthmus. The enemy however manages to take it back by evening suffering heavy casualties.

Finnish daily losses: 45

25 March 1943

Aunus Group: "Enemy has shelled our positions on the width of the entire front."

Finnish daily losses: 22

AA fire. (Helsinki)

26 March 1943

Finland's Foreign Minister Ramsay meets with von Ribbentrop in Germany to discuss the peace talks between Finland and the Soviet Union. Ramsay is told that if Finland takes the offer, Germany will see it as betrayal, and that Finland should sign a treaty with Germany that neither side would sue for separate peace.

Running comms lines under the ice.

27 March 1943

AOK Norwegen: "Strong enemy attack countered on the southern flank. Enemy losses estimated at 50 KIA."

Peculiar looking snowmobile. (Limosaari)

28 March 1943

Joint Finnish-German operation to lay submarine nets across the Gulf of Finland begins.

Parade on the first anniversary of Suursaari's capture.

29 March 1943

AOK Norwegen: "On the northern flank, the line Fingerhut-Schwarzenberg-Kreuzeck-Biberkopf has been manned by a battalion size enemy unit this morning. Our attack to take the line is advancing towards Schwarzenberg."

Newly built canteen and its proud builders. (Rukajärvi area)

30 March 1943

AOK Norwegen: "Our attack towards Schwarzenberg has been aborted. The enemy lost 71 men (counted)."

Finnish daily losses: 24

I'll add the photos and other stuff later, once my self induced headache subsides.

EDIT: Added entries from HQ war diary.
EDIT2: Photos added.

Last edited by Dowly; 03-30-18 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-06-18, 03:34 AM   #449
Dowly
Lucky Jack

31 March 1943

No entry.

1 April 1943

Karelian Isthmus: "In the Valkeasaari area, our combat patrol attacked an enemy forward base destroying eight prepared fighting positions, four living dug-outs and the ~40 enemies manning the base at the time. During the battle, approximately 400 mortar rounds were fired into the base by the enemy. Own losses: patrol leader 2nd Lieutenant Nalli went missing towards the end of the engagement, one NCO was KIA, and one officer and nine men were wounded."

Finnish daily losses: 14

2 April 1943

Karelian Isthmus: "Just after midnight our positions in the Koskitsa area were attacked by a company size enemy force. After hour and a half of fighting, the enemy withdrew."

Laying anti-submarine nets.

3 April 1943

The Finnish intelligence office notes in its memo to the HQ that the Soviet forces on the Finnish front has seen continuous weakening in both quantity and quality.

4 April 1943

No entry.

5 April 1943

AOK Norwegen: "On the southern flank, one of our patrols was ambushed by a strong enemy unit. Own losses 9 KIA, 3 WIA, 1 MIA."

Finnish daily losses: 17

6 April 1943

Karelian Isthmus: "Last night one of our patrols snuck into an enemy's forward base, shooting four enemies and destroying four living dug-outs."

Old 04-13-18, 07:16 AM   #450
Dowly
Lucky Jack

7 April 1943

AOK Norwegen: "Enemy base was raided by one of our patrols in the Litsa area. Enemy losses 18 men, own losses 1 KIA, 16 WIA."

Frontline terrain in Rukajärvi area.

8 April 1943

No entry.

2nd Lieutenant Onni Koivisto lies dead after being shot by a sniper while giving a tour of the front lines to war correspondents. (Rukajärvi)

9 April 1943

No entry.

Finnish daily losses: 9

AA-fire over Nurmoila.

10 April 1943

14.D/Rukajärvi: "Small enemy attack against our forward base in the Tsirkka - Kemijoki line. Enemy withdrew after a short firefight."

The peace feelers between Finland and the Soviet Union come to an end.

Finnish Foreign Minister Dr.Ramsay's memo to McClintock:

Quote:
(1) The Finnish Government have carefully considered the memorandum of the Legation of the United States of America, dated March 20th.

(2) The Finnish Government have not been able to find any indication, nor have they received any information tending to prove that the initiation of the suggested conversations with the Government of the USSR would, in the prevailing circumstances, lead to lasting guarantees for the future of Finland for which Finland is fighting, with great sacrifices, since 1939. The Finnish people have, therefore, no other way than to continue their war of defense until the maintenance of the independence, freedom and democratic institutions of Finland is safeguarded and the menace to Finland has been removed. Consequently the Finnish Government is not in a position to enter into the suggested conversations.

(3) Appreciating the good will of the American Government towards Finland the Finnish Government wish to reassure the American Government that it is their sincere desire to maintain the friendly relations between Finland and the United States.

"The boys have downed a 'fighter'". (Luttojoki)

11 April 1943

Maaselkä: "We've struck an enemy base in the Suurlahti - Liistelampi area. Our unit stormed the trenches and destroyed all dug-outs and fortified positions they found. Enemy lost approx. 30 men, own losses 1 KIA, 10 WIA."

Finnish daily losses: 7

Trench architecture in the Svir power plant area.

12 April 1943

No entry.

13 April 1943

AOK Norwegen: "In the Lutto area a large enemy unit attacked against one of our based that had already been abandoned two weeks prior. The enemy suffered losses crossing the minefield before withdrawing east."

For some reason, imgur is failing to upload all but one of the images I threw at it, so only one photo for now.

Last edited by Dowly; 04-20-18 at 01:41 AM.

Tags
continuation war, jatkosota