Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-18, 04:07 PM   #1
bortass
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default CTD in Baltic first mission TWOS

I'm playing for the first time and installed TWOS. My copy of SH is from Amazon. I keep getting a CTD when I try to go to Kiel. I am trying to go between mainland Europe and the large island that's in the Baltic, south of Sweden. I keep getting a CTD, even at TC 1. I can reload the game and let it run a bit and it will crash.

I think it is either time or location related. I reloaded the game after the first CTD and it happened a second time. I reloaded the game and saved it after a bit of time. I was hoping that the CTD was random...

It crashed shortly after my save. I've reloaded it a couple of times to try TC 2 and 1 and it crashes within a few minutes. I'm going to start trying a different course and even just going all stop and seeing if it crashes.

I have sunk the Polish task force, one merchant, and a U class sub that I found when I started to head for Kiel. It's 9/4 and about 03:30 in case any of this matters.

I found nothing with a Google search but I recall that using TC near Kiel is dicey at times but I'm not near Kiel. I probably left the Danzig bay area about 12 hours ago....

Any thoughts?
bortass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 10:04 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

What is your install order in JSGME?

When you save games, never overwrite a save slot and never use Autosaves. If you did, then load a past game from open sea, save in a *different* slot, quit and reload the new save. Also you should never save when planes or enemies are nearby, if you did, then do the same steps.

Other possible cause:
You say its' 9/4 but is it 1939 or 1940?

If you are at 9/4/1940 you are pretty at the end of the first chapter which occurs at 11/4/1940, and maybe the transfer to the new chapter (Happy Times) crashes the game. If that's the reason, you have a game version that you didn't patch correctly, so you must repeat all steps. If you play with the newest TWoS this should be easier, so download it if you haven't , and do this:

In JSGME, disable any mods (or if you want to be absolutely safe: de-install everything and start from scratch; your savegames are not touched.)
Check that you have patched SH5 to version 1.2.0 before installing any mods. This patch is surely in the dl section or you can get it easily on the net.
Then, redo the dance of re-installing TWoS. Reload one of your saves where you are in open sea and hopefully you should be fine now and soon see a pop-up screen telling about war results and redirecting you to main menu where you have to chose the 2nd chapter (Happy Times).

Else, if you are in the middle of the 1st chapter (9/4/1939), then I have no idea about the cause.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 02-09-18 at 10:39 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 11:17 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > bortass
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 11:51 AM   #4
bortass
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
What is your install order in JSGME?

When you save games, never overwrite a save slot and never use Autosaves. If you did, then load a past game from open sea, save in a *different* slot, quit and reload the new save. Also you should never save when planes or enemies are nearby, if you did, then do the same steps.

Else, if you are in the middle of the 1st chapter (9/4/1939), then I have no idea about the cause.
I'm in the middle of the first chapter, 9/4/1939. I do save over previous save games. I wasn't aware that was an issue. I did read about saving before leaving the bunker and did that part.

I'll have to look at what mods I installed. I followed the TWOS instructions, and did patch to 1.2 first. I know I picked Real Navigation from the list and maybe something else but I have no clue.

I just fired up JGME and the only mods active in order top down are The wolves of steel 2.0.0, the wolves of steel 2.1.2 update, and Real Navigation.
Old 02-10-18, 03:38 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

There may be issues with corrupt savegames if you overwrite saves, use autosaves or save in 'heavy' action, that may cause to crash the game soon after you load it, meaning the save got corrupt. Try out if it's fixed now when saving correctly as described, else I have no idea what may cause your crash.

Your install is correct from what you tell. Real Navigation shouldn't matter, but: in this case you must set appropriate Game Options when in the bunker, but this is done by default, so if you didn't change anything it should be on Realistic settings and not clashing with anything. When in the bunker, go in the Options and check if all is ticked except the external camera which you can leave unticked if you want to use it.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 02-10-18 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-12-18, 12:16 PM   #6
bortass
Swabbie

Thanks. I have restarted and am making sure to do a new save whenever I do save the game.
Old 02-12-18, 02:54 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortass View Post
Thanks. I have restarted and am making sure to do a new save whenever I do save the game.
Also save everytime you go in the bunker, and before leaving the bunker if you did upgrade your sub, and never use Autosaves.
Old 02-12-18, 02:57 PM   #8
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortass View Post
You better reinstall the game completely as well, because recent version of TWoS should be pretty stable even if you ignore many of recommended tips for stable gameplay...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote