Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 04-21-09, 04:21 AM   #16
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

I will put in two more for good measure And this is without experimenting with the new sky boxes and time of day lightning... Even if the graphics isn't fully modern, and lacks shadows etc, I still think this sim on quite a few maps manages to create one of the best feelings of being in a real landscape.

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 12:41 PM   #17
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphy View Post
Even if the graphics isn't fully modern, and lacks shadows etc, I still think this sim on quite a few maps manages to create one of the best feelings of being in a real landscape.
I can only second that: awaiting delivery of 2.460.......can't wait to get my hands on it! Nice looking shots btw.
Old 07-22-09, 06:26 PM   #18
darius359au
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Finally got Steel Beasts Pro PE so here's a couple of shots I took while messing around with the scenario editor.

Australian Leopard AS1's at Cunungra QLD

Last edited by darius359au; 07-22-09 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-15-09, 06:03 PM   #19
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0

*** The mistake in the above essay that is found and described here, has been corrected. Sky. ***

------------

Your description of the 'theme' components is slightly wrong..

Bumpiness does have a minor effect on movement rates, but its primary effect is to induce vibration on the sights, drastically reducing accuracy in GAS, especially when the stabilisation is down (GPS sights are more stable than the GAS, even when the FCS is operating fully, as the GPS head mirror is a light component with a mass of ~1kg, compared to the gun tube at ~3 tonnes. This means that the stabilisation of the GPS mirror can be much more precise than the GAS/guntube - although this won't apply if the stab. is switched off or damaged).

The main method of controlling off-road speed is to increase the 'drag' of the theme. Full drag of 1.0 will practically immobilise some vehicles and will leave none capable of faster than ~20kph cross country. Drag will produce greater effects on mobility than bumpiness will in the current versions.

Traction (is not functioning as intended in the current version) but is intended to restrict slope climbing ability and can immobilise a vehicle completely. For now leave this at a high value (preferred is 100%) for all terrain types to avoid undesired behaviour.

Hardness allows a visual effect to represent the approximate drag behaviour of the terrain, values less than 0.3 will add a 'bog' shading to the map, and vehicles will 'sink' into the ground to a depth appropriate to the value. The drag is not directly linked to this parameter, and should still be set from the 'drag' slider. This is a new feature as mentioned in the 2.483 release notes published earlier this week.

Other methods of restricting speeds include damaging the suspension component - this will cause much more effect from the bumpiness settings, and the AI can be reluctant to move in some terrain types, even though technically movement is possible.
As far as I am aware, none of the currently available modifiers reduce the on-road speeds possible - these are always at (or near) the full speeds, even with damaged suspension. AI routes can be set to only use slow or fast speeds, and not to use top, but this cannot be imposed on player controlled units, except by an 'honour' system.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-16-09 at 05:19 AM.
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 02:36 AM   #20
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

I greatly applaud your efforts here Skybird, it is very much appreciated. I am certainly one of those people who prefers sims of WWII tanks.

Unfortunately, with all of the best intentions and settings in the world they will still be modern tanks with restricted abilities. Unless we are riding in a Tiger, or Sherman or...(fill in your favorite) then the effect is lost.

I know from your posts you obviously love SBP and want others to as well, but for people not enthusiastic about modern tanks a $125 price tag is hard to swallow. Even harder if you are going to pay it just to turn off many of the tank's abilities. Usually simmers are willing to put money into the genre to help it grow, but in this case money spent will go to making more advance modern tank simulations, as the company involved would probably get little interest from the Defence industry if they switched to WWII simulators.

I know and have accepted that my likes are under-served in the sim market and for all I know will never be served again. I just don't see a gain in spending alot of money on a title that would have to be basically bastardized to come near to serving my wants, from a company that has no intention of serving them.

Again, I appreciate you input and tips, I just think unless someone also has an interest in a modern armor simulation it will not hold interest long.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 07:09 AM   #21
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Oh I certainly know about paying for my sims and the price is not a problem. I have a good stick, throttle quadrant, pedals, TIR5, Logitech steering wheel, etc etc etc, but they are all things I knew I would get use out of for years.

I am not shooting down SBP in any way at all. For those of you that enjoy this genre it is great that you are so well served. Many types of simming as you know are greatly neglected or ignored. I am just saying that for me having a good sim of a type that is close to my interest, but not close enough would be frustrating and I would put it down soon.

I should really have just kept my mouth (or fingers) shut lol. I started by trying to express that SBP would never quite scratch my itch, and end by trying to be sure my comments are not taken the wrong way
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 01:13 PM   #22
andym
Weps

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

I thought i would post a few screenshots of a small Mission i have almost finished.Its a small Recon Mission,early morning start with limited visability.Units are a mix of ASLAVS,CV90's and 2 PIZZARO/SCIMITARS.

SCIMITAR observing the Woods(is there something there?)

Something lurks.

SHOOT!

Meanwhile with the ASLAVs

Look what they found!
Old 10-30-09, 01:14 AM   #23
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Winterimpression
Damn, that looks natural.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 07:54 AM   #24
Sgt Hotcliff
Naval Tank
Commander

Default Hyvää!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Damn, that looks natural.
"Hyvää päive kirvisvartta!"

'Just a cool Swedish"Strv122"
http://www.kamratoff.se/images/Strv%20122%20sand.jpg

"A warrior accepts defeat
He does not treat it as a matter of indifference, nor does he try to make a victory of it” (P.Coehlo)

Sgt Hotcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 05:40 PM   #25
Sgt Hotcliff
Naval Tank
Commander

Default just great!!

I am amazed..wonderful screenshots!

'Just a cool Swedish"Strv122"
http://www.kamratoff.se/images/Strv%20122%20sand.jpg

"A warrior accepts defeat
He does not treat it as a matter of indifference, nor does he try to make a victory of it” (P.Coehlo)

Sgt Hotcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 06:17 PM   #26
Sockeye
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 46

Haven't been to the fields of iron for a while now, but here's some oldies of mine from previous versions:

Sockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 10:38 PM   #27
darius359au
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I like that last one "Beware the Beast that lurks in the mist"
Old 02-11-10, 04:28 AM   #28
smithlanger
Bilge Rat

Does it make any sense that we can get SBP from ebay very cheap but not in market. If anyone get so then ebay or any other shopping cart is best for purchasing of SBP.
Old 08-04-10, 07:41 AM   #29
murkz
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3

Great thread Skybird, I have read all the post I can find, as I have now ordered SB Pro.
murkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 09:09 AM   #30
murkz
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2861442...n/photostream/
murkz is offline   Reply With Quote