SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-30-18, 11:27 AM   #1
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0
Default A Mod Idea For Auto TDC

I’m having so much fun with SH-5 (WOS of course!) And I very much enjoy the real navigation aspect. And for years now I’ve been doing manual plotting and manual torpedo solutions.

I wanted to try to play the game in a new way however!

I simply spend a ton of time manual plotting and I think it doesn’t really simulate the fact that I have a large crew helping you out. Especially when you’re working with real navigation and no map contacts. So if I just want to be a captain on a few patrols I should just turn on the auto TDC correct? This way I can still do real navigation and I can have map contacts off. Well the problem I have with that is the auto TDC is 100% correct all the time isn’t it? I have to admit I have not tested it all too much but as far as I know all I do is point the crosshairs on the target and I have a 100% solution. Am I wrong here? I’ve never use automatic TDC. Then I remember the way it used to be done in the original ACES OF THE DEEP game. I was wondering if there could be a Mod where I select a target and my crew starts working on a solution. It takes factors such as range, weather, night and day lighting conditions, crew experience, etc. The solution would improve the longer my crew is working on the target. It would start at about 10% and depending on the conditions would either slowly or quickly rise up to as high as 95% solution. This way I can just be a captain and my crew can work on the solution for me in a realistic manner.

Taking a quick snapshot? Your crew may only have a 50% solution!
Been tracking that convoy for two hours now just out of sight? The solution would be around 90%!

What do you guys think? This way I think would be fun to be more of a captain on the boat but still have a realistic aspect of the game. Is this Mod already done or is this already simulated in the game?

Last edited by Lanzfeld; 09-30-18 at 11:43 AM.
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 12:25 PM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

You get a 100% torpedo solution IF you enter the 100% correct parameters (AOB, speed, distance)

For my part, i play also 100% realism (except for identifying ships - that’s my XO who does the job and open the book on the right page) and i never draw anything on map to calculate interception course or whatever...
I try to play as real capt did

I just visually estimate target course (on deck/UZO) try to adjust little by little my best trajectory, then dive at the last ultimate moment (before being spotted), and after all stopped (or at 1 or 2 knots speed) calculate with the U-Jagd chrono the target speed. If my sub is running more than 2 knots, the U-Jagd result may be wrong... so sometimes i have to full reverse my electrics to stop me!
To me it’s the most important factor to hit. The target speed.

Then i enter manually the AOB after a visual estimation. That’s the second most important factor. Usually, i can easily approach almost the 90°. But not always...
I already fired and hit with more than an 45° angle
In this case, your AOB is very important. But almost 90°, you can have little AOB error. No big deal, you’ll hit if you are within 800/1000m.

And last i enter the distance with stadimeter, but sometimes i don’t even have time... and i hit nevertheless. Distance isn’t that important, because i always try to fire very close.
In my current career, i sunk two boats at 2000m, but it was because i was absolutely sure of target speed and AOB. One was a destroyer, and was kind of very proud

To resume, playing only with visual estimations and TDC on (TDC off to enter manually the factors) is enough close to reality
(I already missed plenty of times also...)
I don’t think i would use the kind of mod your talking about.
I think it was only the Kaleun who gave the torpedo solution...and ordered to fire.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 12:32 PM   #3
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Yes Fifi thank you for reply.....

I’ve been doing it that way for years but with a little plotting as well. It is a lot of fun. But it is also a lot of work.

My inquiry is about having my crew do the work but not with absolute 100% Percision.
Old 09-30-18, 12:36 PM   #4
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

So you don’t want to work anymore?
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 12:38 PM   #5
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Hahaha!

I know....it sounds lazy!

But this “Old Gang” wants to just sit and overwatch....