SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-08, 09:30 AM   #1
Ishigami
Navy Dude

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] Battle of the Sibuyan Sea

I played a bit with the mission editor and this is what I come up with. The mission is made for surface vessels e.g. the playable Yamato, Pocketbattleship or Fubuki but of course submarines work too.
The mission is obviously played on the Japanese/German side.

It’s not meant to be a historic mission. It’s a fun or arcade mission.
My goal was to create a large long range naval battle for surface ships.

It takes 2 real time hours (without time compression) to get to the actual combat zone and I swear using the time laps function excessively and without caution will get you killed.

The air strikes are not a script from me but generated by the game it’s self.
That works quite well, they managed to sink me on a Yamato before I could reach the actual combat zone when I tried not avoiding their bombs.
When you have contact with the US fleet issue a contact report, this will most likely trigger a friendly air strike from Manila airbase. At least that is what I have observed.

Sinking any US ships is only a secondary objective because depending on your ship you maybe won’t sink anything.

As this battle is large scale there will be many units which means that this might challenge even a good rig especially when you use some high quality mods e.g. ROW PE or Environmental.

Important:

Please use the range fix mod by W4lt3r !
You can find it here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136499
(Some playable ships or other mods already have something like this included, I only tested the mission with the stand alone version from W4lt3r)

Features:
- Long range ship to ship combat in a large scale naval battle
- Heavy air attacks generated by the game itself

Notes:
- The mission was made for surface vessels
- The mission was made with the range fix mod made by W4lt3r in mind
- The mission is completely fictional
- The mission will utilize your hardware to capacity
- Compatible only with Silent Hunter U-Boat Mission V1.5
- Compatible with any playable unit on the German side

DOWNLOAD: http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=5YP3DS1B

Installation: extract the rar file into your singlemission folder in the data folder of you main sh4 directory.

Thanks to all modder who make or made surface ships or helping other people doing so because I ike them.

As I’m a noob comments are appreciated.:rotfl:

Last edited by Ishigami; 05-19-08 at 03:50 PM.
Ishigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 08:46 AM   #2
d5j55
Loader

Downloads: 5

nice very nice
Old 06-07-08, 04:32 PM   #3
The Fishlord
Planesman

Downloads: 119

I'm DLing this now, looks fun, but I've got a problem with the Yamato...

The guns never damage any ships larger than a CL. NEVER. I steamed into Perth-Fremantle and blew up everything except two King George V battleships that just wouldn't die. I slugged it out for almost an hour and they didn't get a scratch, while my bow was underwater.

Are there any ships like this in the mission?

EDIT:

Got to the mission. Three lucky torpedoes hit my Yammy and sent her down. I tried it with Xantrokle's snorkel Type XXI and I got up to the point where it told me to retreat. Does the game tell you to retreat based on what's happening? Is the Japanese fleet just destined to be sunk?

Last edited by The Fishlord; 06-07-08 at 06:06 PM.
The Fishlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 08:54 PM   #4
The Fishlord
Planesman

Downloads: 119

Actually this battle is somewhat realistic. My story is pretty much the same as what happened IRL, excepted the Yammy took only one bomb to her forward gun deck...AWESOME MISSION
The Fishlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 07:53 AM   #5
Ishigami
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fishlord
Are there any ships like this in the mission?

This bug must be related to your Yamato itself. I have no problems sinking any ship with the Yamato. :hmm:
As you might already know there are ships like these. There are 5 old US battleships in this mission. I’ve chosen the old ones on purpose. If I would have placed an Iowa or North Carolina in the mission they would have busted the Japanese fleet in no time.
On the other hand placing a AI Yamato as Musashi would do the same with the American fleet (btw. this would cause a game crash when the player wants to play the Yamato... at least for me)

Quote:
Got to the mission. Three lucky torpedoes hit my Yammy and sent her down. I tried it with Xantrokle's snorkel Type XXI and I got up to the point where it told me to retreat. Does the game tell you to retreat based on what's happening? Is the Japanese fleet just destined to be sunk?

This is actually something I haven’t taken into account. I didn’t know that there was a fix for the torpedo bombers out there at the time.
When I created this mission they where no factor at all. They might be now a bit harsh especially on the AI units. I might look into this.

Like I said this mission is just arcade style. It never happened like this.
I don’t like missions that start basically in the action that’s why I placed the fleets that far away from each other in the start and leave it to them to reach the battle zone. At same time it should always be clear where they will clash.

The fleets should be balanced. At least that’s what I hope. Neither side is supposed to be smashed. They meet each other, open fire on long range, there are losses and in the end the will part. The player is supposed to survive more than to do influence the outcome of the battle.
Of course depending on the ship of the player he might have a great influence (e.g. Yamato). But you can play this with e.g. a heavy cruiser (I hope for the playable Takao to be released soon) and then you have no chance to really influence the outcome. :hmm:
I don’t wanted to end the mission in the battle that why the last objective is to reach the Tablas Strait. At this location you are well out of sight of the American fleet and there should be no air attacks anymore.

Quote:
Actually this battle is somewhat realistic. My story is pretty much the same as what happened IRL, excepted the Yammy took only one bomb to her forward gun deck...AWESOME MISSION

Good to see that at least once it worked for you.
Sorry that I answer this late, I always forget about this forum :rotfl:
Old 09-14-08, 07:11 AM   #6
kondor999
Watch

Downloads: 38
Default My Yamato likes to...dive?

Any particular reason the Yamato wants to go to periscope death every now and again?

I haven't taken enough damage (I don't think) to cause flotation issues. My hull damage reads 0, for instance. Also, no warnings about torp hits. The damage control station looks clean.

Anyone else having problems with the Yamato wanting to go about 12 feet under at random times?
kondor999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 08:11 AM   #7
Ishigami
Navy Dude

I don’t know. My Yamato is working fine.
Old 10-25-08, 10:30 AM   #8
Yattky
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 248

モッドダウンロードしました、また今度やってみますね。:d
Old 11-01-08, 06:01 AM   #9
tomhugill
Planesman

Downloads: 23

Shameless plug here , if you havnt seen http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...482#post978482 my playable yamato updated with full damage model , compartments and realistic flooding mechanics!"
tomhugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 06:50 AM   #10
mickey117
Gunner

Downloads: 85
wow

wow the most funnest mission ever better than anything else ive played good job!!

PART OF SUPER SURFACE WARFARE MOD
> http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=144946

{FIGHT TO THE LAST SHELL}
mickey117 is offline   Reply With Quote