SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-18, 09:36 AM   #1
Battlewagon3
Swabbie

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Invisible J3D models and DDS Textures After Modding

The title says it all.

(The one disclaimer here is that DWEdit seems to work fine, other than that the Import and Export features don't work, and it constantly claims that I don't have a legitimate install, in spite of my Steam account making it clear that I do. DW Edit can easily and reliably mod existing content, so long as no graphics are involved.)

However, I have been unable to get any of the common graphics importers and exporters to work. Here are the details:

1. The models from LWAMI, when installed according to the instructions, are invisible in my installation of DW.

2. When I have tried to install them manually using GRP (by Adam Milazzo), I had the same problem.

3. In addition, when new models (with or without textures) are installed using GRP, the .dds textures on other subs disappear, which means that my 3d.grp and 3d.ndx files have to be replaced in order to get DW working again. Replacing the .dds textures with .bmp textures doesn't work, either for restoring the textures, or getting the models working.

3. DWEdit is great for modding existing content (if you leave the graphics alone), but the Import and Export features don't appear to work, at least on my computer.

4. Due to the above problems, repaints are also not possible on my computer.

Does anyone know if I need to install anything else, or change any settings, so that these mods will work? Thank you.
Battlewagon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-18, 02:11 PM   #2
Battlewagon3
Swabbie

Just a quick update:

I still can't get anything to work. However, I did manage to load the J3D models in 3D Object Converter, and they loaded better than the default models!

Do I need to use an obsolete version of the J3D file format, or some other special format from 2004 that isn't used anymore?
Old 04-20-18, 02:37 PM   #3
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

DW Edit does not work for me either.

No Export or Import available (menu greyed out) and j3d preview calling for some strange missing textures (like cld3.bmp cld4.bmp etc...???) and is NOT WORKING! Rather an unreliable tool.

Since (as I imagine) in order to work each new j3d models needs to be entered into DW database with such an iffy tool this whole process may be little waste of time.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-18, 04:59 PM   #4
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Just quick update to my post above. Now after reading all of your posts regarding this LWAMI j3d model problem I can only add that unless there is a mismatch in the texture and model names all should work if you just replacing model.

3D Object Converter has some problems when displaying animated parts like rotating radars etc. Sometimes they are misplaced inside the hull and are not visible unless in wireframe. When exported to another format they can be repositioned in outside 3d editor.

AFAIK there was no changes to j3d format since the inception.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-18, 08:05 AM   #5
Battlewagon3
Swabbie

Default What about disappearing default textures?

The weirdest error that I encountered was when I imported a model without the textures, and then saw the DDS textures on the default models disappear. The models with BMP textures were unaffected.

Does this help? I will experiment some more (in a few weeks when I have more time) to see if the model and texture names are mismatched in the mods I tried.
Old 05-22-18, 09:39 PM   #6
Battlewagon3
Swabbie

Default Missing textures after modding (update).

I've got a minor update on the Dangerous Waters modding situation. I've isolated the conflict causing the Seawolf and Akula textures (and other DDS textures) to disappear. It appears that the bitmap textures from popular mods like the Sturgeon are in the wrong format somehow. Most textures in DW are bitmaps, and the sizes and bit depths vary, so I'm having trouble figuring out what's wrong. The Sturgeon model looks great now, as it's finally appearing the way it should, but either with textures at the expense of the Akula and the Seawolf, or without textures without affecting the Akula or Seawolf. I'd like to have textures on all the models! Does anyone know the solution to this?