SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-05-15, 01:24 PM   #1
Ensign Dunsel
Swabbie

Downloads: 678
Uploads: 0
Support Silent Hunter 4 & Windows 10

Good Afternoon, Admirals, Captains and Commanders!http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/imag...ies/salute.gif

I gave myself the rate (or is it rank?) of Ensign, because my tactical intelligence needs work. You have to watch the Star Trek episode about the Mark V to find out where the ‘dunsel’ comes from.

However I feel about myself as far as tactics, I am pretty good with the computer, but I have a problem. I searched this august forum for information about installing Silent Hunter IV on Windows 10, but I did not find anything. If there is, I apologize and please point me to the right place.

Now for my problem, I upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Silent Hunter had installed without any problem on Windows 7. But when I tried to run Silent Hunter 4, nothing happened. Nothing was showing in the Task Bar. Windows 10 has a really good Task Manager and lo and behold, I find Silent Hunter 4 running and using up CPU cycles and memory. The strange part is there were no disk activity.

So I uninstalled Silent Hunter 4 and re-installed and tried again. This time I made sure that the compatibility setting is changed to Vista. Same thing happened. Tried it again with Windows XP service pack 3, ditto. I found on this forum that I needed to delete registry keys pertaining to Silent Hunter 4, as well as delete the file in the document folder. I did so and re-installed it again. This time an updating Silent Hunter 4 came up, but the same thing happened, running in background with nothing in the Task Bar. Now they say that a good definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again getting the same results and I am close to that mark.http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/imag...es/bangrt2.gif

You are probably wondering why I keep spelling out Silent Hunter 4. The reason is I have Silent Hunter 3 on the same computer and it runs without a hitch.

Here is probably where my knowledge of computers come in. I suspect that Windows 10 changed the way video files are run. The reason I believe this is Silent Hunter 3 had been modded such as the introduction video is not enabled. If I am right, is there a way to disable the introduction, such as adding “/nomovie” to the end of sh4 executable?

Now let me tell you what I am using:
Intel Core2 Quad cpu
8 GB of memory
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Nvidia GT730 with 2MB memory

I realize that I am probably blazing new ground. If so, I intend to keep trying new ideas as they come. Perhaps, I am insane. But I consider it insanity that an older program will run and the newer one won’t.

Fair Winds,
Ensign Dunsel

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 08-16-15 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added icon
Ensign Dunsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 01:56 PM   #2
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

I'm unclear; have you tried not using compatibility mode? I've not made the jump yet so I have no 10 experience but in 7 I've had more success getting games to run if I do not use compatibility mode.

Also, are you allowing the included DirectX to install when you do your reinstalls? The original Ghost Recon will run on Windows 7 64-bit with DirectX 11 but only if you also run the DirectX 9.0c install included on the disc. I use that example because it's my most recent experience trying to get an old game to run from disc, not because it's particularly similar to SH4. I'm a Steam user for SH3 and 4 and I typically just use the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button rather that actually doing a reinstall. I'm lazy and it's worked every time so far. (Knock on wood.)

Best of luck. Sorry I don't have anything more to offer, and thank you for being the trailblazer on the upgrade.
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 02:07 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back

Ensign Dunsel! After a considerable silent-run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 03:08 PM   #4
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Runs just fine on my Win 10. I upgraded from 8.1 though. That might make a difference.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 06:43 AM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Dunsel View Post
Good Afternoon, Admirals, Captains and Commanders!http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/imag...ies/salute.gif

Now for my problem, I upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Silent Hunter had installed without any problem on Windows 7.

Fair Winds,
Ensign Dunsel
O crap, Ensign, you just upgraded from a Balao to a Tambor! I recommend that nobody even consider upgrading until we can tell what manner of beast Windows 10 really is. Much of what we have learned so far (and it will be at least six months until we can make any reasoned overall judgment) is bad.

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=N3Q...BDqAy67krLYggQ

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=N3Q...YyqYc.B8prNRMw

This is a guy whose sober judgment I respect and he makes the supreme effort to maintain his composure and not just flame Microsoft crispy though these two videos. They show what and how Microsoft does to turn Windows into Facebook. Those easily nauseated might refrain from watching these videos. Please use discretion if there are children or pets in the room.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-06-15 at 09:18 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 08:49 AM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
I realize that I am probably blazing new ground. If so, I intend to keep trying new ideas as they come. Perhaps, I am insane. But I consider it insanity that an older program will run and the newer one won’t.
I'm not sure what your problem might be. I installed Windows 10 and SH4 runs just fine.

I would now like to ask everyone to stick to the topic, which is Ensign Dunsel's problem with SH4. Please do not turn this into a thread on the ins and outs of Windows itself. We have a whole forum just for that, with two Win10 threads already going.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235
Old 08-06-15, 09:27 AM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Why, I believe I've just been flamed. Does anything smell burnt to you?

Takin it to the other thread...
Old 08-08-15, 10:44 PM   #8
Ensign Dunsel
Swabbie

Default Ok, I fixed it.

Good Evening, All! I fixed it, but I am not sure which method works.

First, I regret the delay in responding. I was upgrading my wife's computer to Windows 10, and hers is much slower than mine (she doesn't mind, she hates computers!).

Second, let me make some apologizes. Right after I posted, I found the other thread. Perhaps I missed it (more likely, I am an ensign after all), or things happened pretty quickly when Windows 10 came out. Nevertheless, I sincerely apologize to the moderator and all of you for posting another unnecessary thread.

Now here is what I did, and I did them together so I don't know which worked. First, I noticed that on Silent Hunter 3, there was a check mark on "Disable display scaling on high DPI setting", which wasn't there on Silent Hunter 4. Second, during all the reinstalling that I did, I didn't register the software. I did so. And now it works. Which one did fixed it, I really don't know.

IMHO, I really like Windows 10 for two reasons. First, I was in the Google environment and I did not like the fact that Google wasn't giving me the option of turning off the pooling of my information. Second, every release of DirectX gets better and better. But that's just me.

I would like to thank those of offered me suggestion and encouragement.

Fair Winds,
Ensign Dunsel
Old 08-08-15, 10:48 PM   #9
Ensign Dunsel
Swabbie

Default Boy, I am slow in reading.

Sailor Steve,

Again, I am sorry. I jumped to the end and completely missed your thread. I normally follow rules and instructions, and I missed yours. I wish to retract that last part.

Ensign Dunsel.
Old 08-09-15, 02:57 AM   #10
Haukka81
Medic

Downloads: 368

WIN 10 64bit PRO here.

Works like dream!

Much better than my ex- win 7 ultimate

Easy to install, just set your privacy settings after install.

And if that is not enough you can order custom made tinfoil hat from me. Only 999,99 euros , special Stealth coating, makes your brains invisible to 99% of NSA's brain scan tech. (works better inside u.s.a, placebo effect is strong in there because tiberium in terrain (info from www.C&C_Harvest.nod)

Order soon, be master of privacy !
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-15, 07:11 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Win 7 until they pry it from my cold dead fingers here!

It's the last Windows that doesn't dumb down a computer to a cell phone. I have a cell phone. I like my computer better.
Old 08-09-15, 08:14 AM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Sailor Steve,

Again, I am sorry. I jumped to the end and completely missed your thread. I normally follow rules and instructions, and I missed yours. I wish to retract that last part.
No need. You asked for help. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm glad you got it working.
Old 08-09-15, 08:43 AM   #13
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Win 7 until they pry it from my cold dead fingers here!

It's the last Windows that doesn't dumb down a computer to a cell phone. I have a cell phone. I like my computer better.
same here, thanks for the links, shocking stuff there and I think you are right, they want to make your computer like a cell phone now.

I have two computers with reservations to get win 10 but after seeing what its recording of my activity and storing at Microsoft for them to sell and use or get stolen by hackers, im not upgrading and im warning everyone I know not to either. I was going to wait to see if it had any operating issues first but now im not even caring "how" it works if its collecting data on me like that.

maybe if they undo all that stuff to make it secure I might give it a second look, but then if its just a tweaked version of 8 (which some say it is) then I don't want it anyway

Last edited by Webster; 08-09-15 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 01:35 PM   #14
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I say give 'em six months to back off their Windows is Facebook kick and for the gurus to uncover everything we don't know about yet and to tell us how to defang it and it might be time to take another look at Windows 10.

UEFI bothers me a lot. This is a monopoly company trying to close the door on any competition, keeping them from installing on someone else's (our) set of hardware.

Microsoft got in big trouble for a lot less in the early 2000s and I think its time to point the blowtorch in their direction again. I look for Europe to do the heavy lifting on this one (as usual and that's depressing) as they did in opening the door for Chrome and Firefox to have equal status with Internet Exploder. Now Edge (have to come up with a derisive name for that) is doing much, much worse, while forcing Windows users to use a cell phone app for their Internet access. That's not cricket and I don't think we should tolerate bullying like that.
Old 08-09-15, 06:44 PM   #15
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

well in October is the full release so by January we should have lots of comments and solutions about stuff by then. right now with this "limited release" its just maybe half a million people so far, once 15 million start using it we will know better.

my brother is using it (after tweaks) and he says he likes it but he had windows 8 so he had nothing to lose by trying it.