SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-18-12, 05:29 AM   #16
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Mh, I still have an .exe file installer for AOD+Addon (not CAOD) that comes together with the correct/compatible version od DosBox. It worked fine for me after many other versions did not. I installed, launched and played. Sound, music, all was there.

If interested and your tries fail, tell me.

How is the legal status of this old Gem anyway? Is it legal to get it from abandonware pages and the like? I mean you cant buy it anywhere except used at ebay (sometimes).

If this is legal/fine with Subsim, I would load it up and publish the installer.
Old 12-18-12, 11:15 AM   #17
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
How is the legal status of this old Gem anyway? Is it legal to get it from abandonware pages and the like? I mean you cant buy it anywhere except used at ebay (sometimes).

If this is legal/fine with Subsim, I would load it up and publish the installer.
I'm not sure, but asking that question publically at Subsim is problematic in itself.
Quote:
We do NOT allow discussion or even mention of warez, abandonware, peer-to-peer game swapping, game cracks, illegal download sites, or illegal file-sharing.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq....ules2_faq_item

I don't believe you've crossed that line just asking about the legal status. I'm reporting the post, not to get you in trouble, but as the most effective way of finding out. That should get a quick response from Neal.
Old 12-18-12, 11:18 AM   #18
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You are right, sorry.
I am really not even sure what the games status is. Is it considered abandonware?

Hope someone knows.
Old 12-18-12, 07:42 PM   #19
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Steve, thanks for allowing me to help with this issue. Nipplespanner, I really salute you for your love of the classic games. Go ahead and post your.exe file installer for AOD+Addon.

Yes, historically Subsim has been very careful to honor copyright and intellectual property rights of game makers. I'm sure you understand how important it is to be on the right side of that. The rules here do not allow linking to or discussing unlicensed games and programs, it's been that way since 1999. I think if you were to ask, people would say, "Oh, yeah, Subsim has been a stickler for standing up for game makers and not allowing the forum to become a hive for illegal download activity."

However, PC games were still relatively new in 1999. Today, a game like Aces of the Deep is 20 years old. You are correct, the game has not been for sale new by Sierra for many years. The company that owned the rights to the game, Sierra, was absorbed by Vivendi, and that company taken over by Activision. Both of the former brands have disappeared. As Wikipedia states:
In most cases, software classed as abandonware is not in the public domain, as it has never had its original copyright revoked and some company or individual still owns exclusive rights. Therefore, sharing of such software is usually considered copyright infringement, though in practice copyright holders rarely enforce their abandonware copyrights.
I honestly do not know the true legality of allowing an .exe file installer for AOD+Addon to be available here. I can say sincerely, I do not think it is a problem. I do not think there is a concerned party who would be injured by it.

I would like to amend the rules to state that "Abandonware: games that are over 10 years old and are no longer available for sale commercially by the IP owner will be exempted on a case by case basis. An inquiry may be made about the status of a particular game in the Classic Subsims forum. Subsim will make a good faith effort to clear the use of the game with the last known copyright holders. If we were to receive an objection or legal challenge, we would reverse our position is regards to the game in question."

Time change. I've been told even the Constitution of the United States has been amended a few times. Subsim's rules regarding piracy, illegal game downloads, cracks, and other similar contrivances for current, recent, and commerically games that are widely available; and non-abandonware, will remain in effect.
Old 12-18-12, 08:14 PM   #20
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Thank you, Neal, for clearing that up. I'm sure it will make folks interested in the older games happy.
Old 12-18-12, 08:17 PM   #21
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Go ahead and post your.exe file installer for AOD+Addon.
Jawohl Herr Kaleun!
Rohr 1 los!*

*In case your system explodes, or the world ends in 3 days - It wasn´t me!
Old 12-19-12, 03:33 PM   #22
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Thxs Neal much needed clarification

Quote:
*In case your system explodes, or the world ends in 3 days - It wasn´t me!
Are both related?
Old 12-19-12, 04:51 PM   #23
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Are both related?
For some people? Definately!
Old 12-20-12, 10:20 PM   #24
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@ Nipplelspanner; Thanks for posting this!

My copy of AOD was installed on my current PC using the original five 3 1/2" floppies since I had, for reasons now lost retained my old floppy drive. Also installed were the first patch disk (obtained by mail from Dynamix) and the Expansion disk bought new. Still have all the original disks, game box, manuals and gridded chart!

Unfortunately the ancient floppy disk drive has since died (and almost cooked my motherboard doing it) so I had no way to fix or replace my AOD installation should something go wrong.

Good Hunting
Old 12-21-12, 03:33 AM   #25
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Youre welcome
Old 01-04-13, 06:11 PM   #26
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Many thanks for this Nipplespanner! Running on Windows 7 64 bit. No compatibility mode or forced color or resolution was needed.
Oddly, checking compatibility mode or "run in 256 colors" caused the game to crash for me.

Any idea what is missing or rather added in CAOD compared to this AOD+Addon?

For any interested.......The manual in PDF
Keyboard Commands are near the bottom. [Printable quick reference card on page 5]
http://archives.scovetta.com/pub/gam...p_-_Manual.pdf

I am surprised. In spite of it's dated graphics, this game still has it's share of good "pucker" moments and is quite fun to play.
Man, we sure got good manuals in those days!

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html

Last edited by RickC Sniper; 01-04-13 at 11:09 PM.
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 06:21 PM   #27
RickVB
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Nippelspanner, if you're still out there, the link where you posted your installer for AOD+Addon appears to be bad; do you still have it someplace?

Last edited by RickVB; 06-14-17 at 09:57 PM.
RickVB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abandonware, command aces