SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-11, 04:49 PM   #646
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

The Date folders in Commander will enable mods in the game, but only when you launch the game via Commander and only (I assume this is how it works) when your in-game date gets to or is past the date specified in the folder's name, and continue to do so for every session up until the next date for which there is a folder is reached or past (at which point the stuff for the later date gets enabled instead).

What you do is create a folder in the Date directory with the desired date (if one does not already exist) in format YYYYMMDD. In that folder you place the 'data' folder (and all its contents) from the mod you want enabled at or past that in-game date.

All the stuff in that 'data' folder will be written into the game when you launch it via Commander at the appropriate date in your career.

So for skinpack MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19401101, I have the folders set up like so:

SH3 Commander\Date\19401101\data

The 'data' folder there is just a copy/paste of the 'data' folder from the skinpack.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 07:25 PM   #647
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
The Date folders in Commander will enable mods in the game, but only when you launch the game via Commander and only (I assume this is how it works) when your in-game date gets to or is past the date specified in the folder's name, and continue to do so for every session up until the next date for which there is a folder is reached or past (at which point the stuff for the later date gets enabled instead).

What you do is create a folder in the Date directory with the desired date (if one does not already exist) in format YYYYMMDD. In that folder you place the 'data' folder (and all its contents) from the mod you want enabled at or past that in-game date.

All the stuff in that 'data' folder will be written into the game when you launch it via Commander at the appropriate date in your career.

So for skinpack MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19401101, I have the folders set up like so:

SH3 Commander\Date\19401101\data

The 'data' folder there is just a copy/paste of the 'data' folder from the skinpack.
Frau Kaleun, please: Can you post your JSGME list for SH3 Commander? Or the mods installed in commander (with their folders)?

I need that reference for avoid problems...

Many thanks and best regards!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 08:12 PM   #648
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Frau Kaleun, please: Can you post your JSGME list for SH3 Commander? Or the mods installed in commander (with their folders)?

I need that reference for avoid problems...

Many thanks and best regards!

Fitzcarraldo
Here 'tis:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Silent Hunter 3\GWX3\SH3 Commander\MODS]
My StaticSettings
Nightclub
Ship Names
WB's Warning Orders (SH3 Cmdr) v1.3
MFM-v3-Neutral-Skins-1940
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19390901
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19391101
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400201
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400501
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400801
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19401101
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19410201
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19410801
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19420201
DD_OpenHatch_v3.09_w_CDC_Fix_&_Int_Orders
FM_NI_V1.0 [no sdl file] w Blue Int & Int Orders
GWX - Open Hatch Mod
Random Dockside Music
Mutant 20km Env Mod For GWX3 & SH3 Cmdr
7B Turms Your Way

As you can see, I am using JSGME to mod Commander, instead of manually moving the files in and out of the appropriate folders.

Keep in mind that if you take a mod designed to be enabled in the game folder, but want to mod Commander to enable the mod in the game for you when you launch it, you will have to create the correct the folder/file structure before you use JSGME to put that mod in Commander.

For instance I'm using JSGME to mod Commander to enable FM New Interiors in the game but only when I play a Type VII. So the mod's 'data' folder needs to end up in the SH3 Commander\U-boat folders for the Type VII boats.

So the file structure ends up looking like this:

Each 'data' folder contains all the files needed to enable the mod in the game. When I enable the mod in Commander with JSGME, it writes a copy of the 'data' folder into each U-boat folder for the Type VII boats. When I launch the game via Commander to play a Type VII, Commander writes everything in the 'data' folder for that type boat into the game files, thus enabling the mod in the game for that gaming session.
Old 03-09-11, 06:29 AM   #649
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Here 'tis:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Silent Hunter 3\GWX3\SH3 Commander\MODS]
My StaticSettings
Nightclub
Ship Names
WB's Warning Orders (SH3 Cmdr) v1.3
MFM-v3-Neutral-Skins-1940
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19390901
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19391101
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400201
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400501
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400801
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19401101
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19410201
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19410801
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19420201
DD_OpenHatch_v3.09_w_CDC_Fix_&_Int_Orders
FM_NI_V1.0 [no sdl file] w Blue Int & Int Orders
GWX - Open Hatch Mod
Random Dockside Music
Mutant 20km Env Mod For GWX3 & SH3 Cmdr
7B Turms Your Way

As you can see, I am using JSGME to mod Commander, instead of manually moving the files in and out of the appropriate folders.

Keep in mind that if you take a mod designed to be enabled in the game folder, but want to mod Commander to enable the mod in the game for you when you launch it, you will have to create the correct the folder/file structure before you use JSGME to put that mod in Commander.

For instance I'm using JSGME to mod Commander to enable FM New Interiors in the game but only when I play a Type VII. So the mod's 'data' folder needs to end up in the SH3 Commander\U-boat folders for the Type VII boats.

So the file structure ends up looking like this:

Each 'data' folder contains all the files needed to enable the mod in the game. When I enable the mod in Commander with JSGME, it writes a copy of the 'data' folder into each U-boat folder for the Type VII boats. When I launch the game via Commander to play a Type VII, Commander writes everything in the 'data' folder for that type boat into the game files, thus enabling the mod in the game for that gaming session.
Many thanks, Frau Kaleun!

And I have two questions:

Why you use FM interiors via Commander? I think (only I think), the Interiors only charge with VIIC in game. If I use type IX, the interiors charges in memory?

Do you have some problem with SDL in interiors? I use Thomsen Sounds, this mod have his own SDL file, but I need overwrite the file with the SDL of Interiors, or I go direct to CTD. Eliminate you the FM Interiors' SDL without crashes?

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
Old 03-09-11, 11:54 AM   #650
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Many thanks, Frau Kaleun!

And I have two questions:

Why you use FM interiors via Commander? I think (only I think), the Interiors only charge with VIIC in game. If I use type IX, the interiors charges in memory?

Do you have some problem with SDL in interiors? I use Thomsen Sounds, this mod have his own SDL file, but I need overwrite the file with the SDL of Interiors, or I go direct to CTD. Eliminate you the FM Interiors' SDL without crashes?

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
You can use the U-boat folders in Commander to enable mods depending on what type of boat you are in, the same way you use the Date folders to enable mods based on the in-game date when you launch the game.

The way I have it set up, FM New Interiors only gets written into the game if I'm playing a Type VII. DD'S Open Hatch gets enabled for a Type IX, and the GWX Open Hatch mod gets enabled for a Type II or XXI.

Using Commander to write the mods into the game as needed for different boats means I don't have to enable/disable them myself should I ever decide to switch boats at some point.

The reason I took the .sdl file out of New Interiors when Commander enables it is because I already have Aces' Combined SH3.SDL Files v2 enabled in the game all the time, since I need it for several other mods that are always enabled as well as New Interiors. I would have it enabled anyway for those other mods, whether or not New Interiors is enabled via Commander; so I don't want the .sdl file from New Interiors to overwrite Aces' combined version.

I did have problems with the file's entry for New Interiors' diesel sounds, I had to set the Doppler factor to zero to get rid of distortion when inside the boat and I turned down the volume a bit. But that's it. I haven't really eliminated the New Interiors .sdl file, the data it uses is included in Aces' Combined version and that's the one I'm using.

I'm not entirely sure but I think the only change New Interiors makes to the game's .sdl file is the entry DD_Engine.DieselEx, maybe if you copied the entry from that mod's file and pasted it into the one from Thomsens Sounds and then used the combined version with both mods running, you would be okay? You might have an .sdl file that is compatible with both mods that way. I'm not familiar at all with Thomsens Sounds, but you could try it and see. You'd need Silent 3ditor to open and edit the file.
Old 03-09-11, 12:20 PM   #651
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
You can use the U-boat folders in Commander to enable mods depending on what type of boat you are in, the same way you use the Date folders to enable mods based on the in-game date when you launch the game.

The way I have it set up, FM New Interiors only gets written into the game if I'm playing a Type VII. DD'S Open Hatch gets enabled for a Type IX, and the GWX Open Hatch mod gets enabled for a Type II or XXI.

Using Commander to write the mods into the game as needed for different boats means I don't have to enable/disable them myself should I ever decide to switch boats at some point.

The reason I took the .sdl file out of New Interiors when Commander enables it is because I already have Aces' Combined SH3.SDL Files v2 enabled in the game all the time, since I need it for several other mods that are always enabled as well as New Interiors. I would have it enabled anyway for those other mods, whether or not New Interiors is enabled via Commander; so I don't want the .sdl file from New Interiors to overwrite Aces' combined version.

I did have problems with the file's entry for New Interiors' diesel sounds, I had to set the Doppler factor to zero to get rid of distortion when inside the boat and I turned down the volume a bit. But that's it. I haven't really eliminated the New Interiors .sdl file, the data it uses is included in Aces' Combined version and that's the one I'm using.

I'm not entirely sure but I think the only change New Interiors makes to the game's .sdl file is the entry DD_Engine.DieselEx, maybe if you copied the entry from that mod's file and pasted it into the one from Thomsens Sounds and then used the combined version with both mods running, you would be okay? You might have an .sdl file that is compatible with both mods that way. I'm not familiar at all with Thomsens Sounds, but you could try it and see. You'd need Silent 3ditor to open and edit the file.
Ever I learn some new tip with your clears explications, Frau Kaleun

Many thanks and I´ll try to put my stuff in Commander.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

Old 03-09-11, 12:44 PM   #652
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Ever I learn some new tip with your clears explications, Frau Kaleun

Many thanks and I´ll try to put my stuff in Commander.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
You're very welcome.

You can also use the Flotilla folders in Commander to enable certain things only when you're playing in a particular flotilla. This is nice if you want different environment files for the Atlantic, Med, and Arctic.

Once you figure out how to set these things up right, the tricky part is making sure that you don't have something in Commander that is going to overwrite something you already enabled in the game and don't want to lose. Remember that anything being enabled by Commander will overwrite anything you've already enabled in the game if the same files are involved, and you won't get the same alert about it that you'd get if you enabled everything into the game with JSGME.
Old 03-09-11, 09:50 PM   #653
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin40 View Post
How do you do that?

Do you put simply, say, MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19390901 file in the SH3 Date folder?

or

do you rename it as 19390901 before putting it?
As FKL said, you can use SH3 Commander's date based file transfers; another method is to enable & disable in JSGME. Simply ignore the conflicting file messages that will pop up.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 03:47 AM   #654
KptnLt Eric Karle
Ensign

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin40 View Post
How do you do that?

Do you put simply, say, MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19390901 file in the SH3 Date folder?

or

do you rename it as 19390901 before putting it?
Inside SH3 Commander's Date folder there are already a series of folders named for each month of the war, inside each months folder there is a data folder as in the game. By default the only files inside these folders are the War radio mod (data/Sound/Gramophone/Radio.wav) any mods that you wish to install will need to be added to these data folders using the same ingame folder structure as you would if you were adding the files directly to the game or using JSGME
KptnLt Eric Karle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 11:53 AM   #655
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

What do I have to do to run the MFM?
Spec: windows xp professional SP3
intel core 2 duo 3.00GHz
RAM : 2 GB 2x1 Gb cards(even raised to 4GB 4x1Gb cards)
Asus Nvidia 460GTX

SH3 + gwx + sh3c + a lot of mods=great game
BUT I want the MFM!
I can not even run the lite version.
It causes CTD at the end of loading the saved game or when I load the Museum.

In my despair I have even used the 4GB patch but I don't think it improved anything.

HELP ME !
Thank you all.

Last edited by VONHARRIS; 03-18-11 at 12:12 PM.
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 12:37 PM   #656
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VONHARRIS View Post
intel core 2 duo 3.00GHz
Asus Nvidia 460GTX

BUT I want the MFM!

In my despair I have even used the 4GB patch but I don't think it improved anything.

HELP ME !
Thank you all.
Do you use the 4Gb Patch? Do you have the XP with 64 bits?

I have a lot of mods, and MFM full version, and SH3 GWX works fine in my PC:

Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel i7
4 Gb RAM (I use the 4 Gb Patch).
ATI RADEON 5970.

Without the 4GbPatch, in my system, MFM go to CTD...Only with the 4GP works...

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

Old 03-18-11, 12:49 PM   #657
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Quote:
intel core 2 duo 3.00GHz
Asus Nvidia 460GTX

BUT I want the MFM!

HELP ME !
Thank you all.
@VONHARRIS

If your OS is 64bit which I doubt, as the 4GB patch isn't working for you. You'll have to use the 3GB switch for 32bit systems I have posted info regarding this in the past but for the life of me can't remember where. Do a search of the forums mate, I'm sure it'll tip the answer up for you. Best of luck kaleun

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 01:42 PM   #658
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Ditto to what was said above. The only thing that worked for me was switching to 64-bit. At this point that would also mean switching to Win7 as I don't think MS is still selling XP in either version, you might be able to find a retail copy of XP 64-bit from an independent seller but when I looked late last year it was more expensive than just buying Win7.

The problem with the 32-bit OS is that it only recognizes 4 gigs of RAM total, for the whole system, no matter how much you have physically plugged into the mobo. The 4 GB patch for the game will allow the game to use up to 4 gigs of RAM, but it will never be able to use that much since the OS limits you to 4 gigs total for everything that's running, including Windows itself.

On my 32-bit system Windows only recognized 3.25 gigs of RAM despite more being installed - and I could never boot up with the /3GB switch enabled, no matter how much I tinkered with it. I think this had something to do with some of the 4 gigs of usable RAM being already 'reserved' for the gfx card, and then the OS couldn't boot on what was left over for it with the switch enabled. Honestly I'm not quite sure but that was one explanation I found that made sense at the time.

But generally speaking - it's gonna be a memory issue, and unfortunately on a 32-bit system you're always gonna top out at 4 gigs total for everything no matter what you do. Getting the /3GB switch for Windows to work certainly couldn't hurt, though.
Old 03-18-11, 02:22 PM   #659
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

Indeed , my OS is 32bit.
So there is no hope for me.
I agree with Frau Kaleun as I have seen what she has written with my own eyes on my PC.

On the other hand , I wonder if I take manually some ships of the mod (ie the tankers) and put them myself in the game as third part ships , will this work?

I will try and let you know.
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 02:38 PM   #660
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Indeed , my OS is 32bit.
So there is no hope for me.
I agree with Frau Kaleun as I have seen what she has written with my own eyes on my PC.

On the other hand , I wonder if I take manually some ships of the mod (ie the tankers) and put them myself in the game as third part ships , will this work?

I will try and let you know.
You can try the MFM Interim Beta, it´s the same as MFM but there aren´t the neutral ships. This "light" version is more friendly with low end systems.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo