SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-07, 01:56 PM   #1
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Default My little WIP

What do you think of this and what are your ideas of this "little" project I'm working on...

UN has authorized a limited military strike against Sudan in response to its complicity with what’s happening in Darfur. The operation lead by the US Navy is slated to last 24 hours and will be limited to air and missile strikes. Each of the 6 missions will last 4 hours (and yes I've thought about it and no I don't have the money to hire Keffer Sutherland to say "the following takes place between 06:00 and 10:00 hours in the Red Sea). All platforms (except maybe the helo since there is not much for it to do) can be selected by the player (unused platforms will be removed). Their orders will be kinda vague like in the first mission: "conduct recon of primary targets, ROE Weapons Hold..." How the player does it and with what are up to them. Their purpose is to over those 24 hours locate and take out a number of land targets (these are the 'Primary Targets'). Targets (at least the major non-mobile ones) located will be swapped with a trigger so in future missions they will be on link. There maybe other "side missions" in each mission that will be randomly selected such as mine harbor, or rescue downed pilot this along with non-critical kills will earn the player points (hay I may have found a use for those at last!) In the end they are totaled and will give the player an idea on how well they did.

I had an idea that each platform can only be used once (if the player tries to use it again *Poof* its gone when they start the mission and they get a message saying try again with a different platform). How does that sound? I'm considering making two P-3s available along with one 688 and one FFG, since having two P-3s gives the player a better land attack capability.

The player will have to consider stuff like do I use the P-3 to search out all the targets early on or do I use a sub to locate all the costal ones. Which ones strike capability will be more needed latter on.

In the end the mission will be more about tactics and the player utilizing their scarce resources to accomplish their mission rather than overcoming a massive hostile force (in fact only the P-3 and FFG7 will probably be in danger of being destroyed).

What do the other mission designers think? Any idea for side type missions the player might get tasked with?

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote