SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-07, 12:55 PM   #1
Enigma
The Old Man

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Conn, sonar! Crazy Ivan! Kinda.

I've been trying to get an Akula to perform the best simulation of a crazy Ivan I can create. I set his way point to turn from 270 to 000 and increase speed to 20 knots. She should then continue on 00 for just over 500 yards, then come right to course 090 and go to flank.

Problem is, everytime I run the mission in real time to test it, the Akula ends up making the hard right to 000, then she keeps coming around back to 180 and stops at 0 knots. She then floats there at 0 knts seemingly with the rudder stuck in full right. I cant figure out why it isnt following the waypoints....

Any suggestions?

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 09:09 PM   #2
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
I've been trying to get an Akula to perform the best simulation of a crazy Ivan I can create. I set his way point to turn from 270 to 000 and increase speed to 20 knots. She should then continue on 00 for just over 500 yards, then come right to course 090 and go to flank.

Problem is, everytime I run the mission in real time to test it, the Akula ends up making the hard right to 000, then she keeps coming around back to 180 and stops at 0 knots. She then floats there at 0 knts seemingly with the rudder stuck in full right. I cant figure out why it isnt following the waypoints....

Any suggestions?
I would try using scripts instead of waypoints. Add a destination event where you want the crazy ivan to occur. When the Akula reaches the destination, trigger the script. It should say something like, "Set Course to 000 for xx secs AND Set Speed to 20 for XX secs." Have a second trigger set to fire xx seconds after the first. This one runs a different script that says something like "Set Course to 090 for yy secs AND Set speed to (whatever Flank is) for yy secs"

Let us know how it works out.
Old 01-08-07, 09:33 PM   #3
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
I would try using scripts instead of waypoints. Add a destination event where you want the crazy ivan to occur. When the Akula reaches the destination, trigger the script. It should say something like, "Set Course to 000 for xx secs AND Set Speed to 20 for XX secs." Have a second trigger set to fire xx seconds after the first. This one runs a different script that says something like "Set Course to 090 for yy secs AND Set speed to (whatever Flank is) for yy secs"
I wish there was a way to make it do more random sorts of things. It's almost like they need some sort of generic random number generator in the scripting language.

One of the shortcomings of scripting too much is that it can limit replayability by making the scenario so rigid.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 12:38 AM   #4
Enigma
The Old Man

Downloads: 7

Thanks Bill,

Im off to Vegas for a few days but I'll try that when I get back and see how it works out. i'll let you know....

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-07, 01:56 AM   #5
kage
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQueen
I wish there was a way to make it do more random sorts of things. It's almost like they need some sort of generic random number generator in the scripting language.

One of the shortcomings of scripting too much is that it can limit replayability by making the scenario so rigid.

Details upcoming.

http://www.xfire.com/clans/dwobjective/ for those who like playing objectives-based missions. (As opposed to deathmatches)
kage is offline   Reply With Quote