Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 07-02-07, 04:05 PM   #1
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Annoying things about some campaigns

I'm flying the Beaufighters in the desert campign. Now I enjoy it but I have to turn of No Instant Success.

Otherwise it would be impossible to progress.

Sometimes the odds are so stacked against you. How can 4 Beaufighters take on 12 Me-210 and bombers.

I personally think that successful mission is one you manage to do your best and then land. In real war especially WWII they would go for the primary target but wouldn't know it was success straight away. As long as I get a few of the targets I'm happy.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-02-07, 04:54 PM   #2
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Spot on there XabbaRus, totally agree with you.

In the Battle of Britain, the Germans were constantly being told at their pre-mission briefings that the RAF were down to their 'last fifty Spitfires', because of the Luftwaffe's appallingly bad intelligence. And the RAF had based its requirements on believing the reported numbers of German aircraft they were going to face, the figure for which was greatly exaggerated pre-war by the Nazis in the first place.

So that's a case of your own propaganda working against you, and certainly a case of not knowing the enemy's disposition affecting the outcome of a battle.

Unfortunately the 'success' of a mission is something which is tricky to design when you are talking about criteria in a computer program which has to 'tick certain boxes' to allow you to proceed, as anyone who's ever done any mission designing will know, with very often some limits on 'triggers' in the sim. I'm certainly hoping that the forthcoming Battle of Britain and Flying Tigers sims are going to concentrate on making this aspect the impressive part, rather than simply going for eye-candy (as a lot of recent releases have done).

I'm all for making a fun 'game' where you get to shoot stuff down and have cool battles of course, but the reality is that each RAF pilot shooting down an average of less than two German planes was enough to secure victory in the Battle of Britain, so just making it through a campaign with your squadron in one piece is often enough to win the day. As someone once said, 'wars are won by the side that screws up less'!

Chock
Old 07-03-07, 04:36 AM   #3
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

In fact you are completly right Xabba,

also this is the reason why I play on Uk dedicated battlefield servers

the missions are very good like I posted somewhere else
and it also adds a thing which I like a lot
for example as a fighter...you hunt the enemy down ..when you're out of ammo or fuel or badly damaged...you return to base to reload , take off and your back in the skies again.

as the similar thing happen in life...the RAF was flying around...returned to base to refuel and re-arm..went back for more.

its indeed a nutcase that you have to eliminate a whole squadron of bombers to win the mission.

I would say:
you go out of the mission..and the only thing that matters that you come back alive.