SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-11, 03:36 PM   #61
cdp44
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 118
Uploads: 0

Not in a near future. Right now I´ll focus on smaller crafts, up to light cruisers.
My next ship will be with 90% probability british Fiji light cruiser, modified to serve as commerce raider.

Cdp44
cdp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 03:46 PM   #62
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488

ok then
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 12:52 AM   #63
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthos View Post
check her out

she is made from peabody but she has not any damage at all
You are incorrect about no damage at all. The damage has not been changed, it still has the same damage the ship would have if it was not playable. But since the damage model has not been changed to match the upc file, you can not repair the damage.

If that is my Kongo, try not attacking, sail toward the ships and let planes attack and ships attack, you WILL definately take damage. But you can not repair it. That is one reason I do not have a damage repair crew yet, because they are useless.

Peabody

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 02:02 AM   #64
steve_the_slim
Loader

Downloads: 14

Just wondering, is there anything about your Clemson that's different from the one we already had, other than this one works with your ship pack?

Also, seeing as you're focusing on smaller ships like destroyers and light cruisers, I have a little request: Could you do the Omaha-class cruiser for the U.S.? I love old four-stackers, but I'd like something with a little more survivability than the Clemson to use in Career mode. The adrenaline rush I get from stalking a convoy in a destroyer is incredible, but not being able to actually attack anything even remotely well-defended gets old fast.

I haven't had the chance to try your ships yet due to studying for imminent exams, but I'm looking forward to taking them out on patrol when I get the chance.
steve_the_slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 03:26 AM   #65
cdp44
Electrician's Mate

Omaha is definitely on my list, in the meantime try Dido light cruiser.
My Clemson is fully damage modeled and has weapon upgrade packs, other than that both are stock Clemsons made playable.

That Clemson was actually a reason why I started to make playable ships. It only felt right to make my own at some point.

Cdp44

Last edited by cdp44; 11-09-11 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-09-11, 08:51 AM   #66
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

oh my :/ peabody saw the video i was just want to show the problem to cdp44.....
Old 11-09-11, 02:39 PM   #67
steve_the_slim
Loader

I played around with the Dido a little while ago and...well...

It's broken. I don't mean the ship doesn't work. It appears to be bug-free. But it is game-breakingly overpowered. My standard surface-ship test is running the "Against All Odds" quick mission. Beating this with the old Clemson (i.e. the one that isn't yours) is damn near impossible for me, since the gunboats seem to have laser-guided shells that do a lot more damage to a destroyer than I think they should. But with the Dido, they never even fired a shot. I was able to engage them from absurd ranges and hit them on the first or second salvo. Not even the Iowa can pull off what your light cruiser just did. The accuracy needs a MASSIVE nerf.
Old 11-09-11, 03:02 PM   #68
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthos View Post
oh my :/ peabody saw the video i was just want to show the problem to cdp44.....
Why are you surprised about that? It's no problem, I can tell cdp44 exactly what the damage problem is. I have mentioned it many times. I made that ship 3 yrs ago when I knew nothing about changing damage models.

The ship was made using the ship files and adding a sub.upc and sub parts to the .dat,.sim etc, but there is a mistake in the upc that prevents it from working in Career mode. I also took guns out of gunsradars in the library and made them playable guns in the subparts. Remapped IDs to prevent conflicts. etc.

As I am sure cpd44 will be able to see by looing at the .zon file. All the 'zones' are the actual zones from the stock Kongo ships. So they will take damage from planes, shells etc. BUT since they are not the same zones that are in the .upc file, they do not show on the Damage screen, and therefore can not be repaired.

Yes, they definitely need to be fixed but I did not have time as I moved on to helping Keltos with IJN subs and starting ideas for a Campaign. Since cpd44 has built many ships I am sure he is very capable of correcting the problem that I do not have time to do.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 03:10 PM   #69
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

well yes i thought you are going to be mad at me thats all:/
Old 11-09-11, 03:23 PM   #70
cdp44
Electrician's Mate

To steve_the_slim

Try to fight couple of enemy destroyers, especially Akizukis. Gunboats are no match for a light cruiser. You can change AI engagement range in AI_Sensors.dat in Library folder. From what I read about WWII cruisers, they were able to engage the enemy on quite significant ranges. In SH4, you are solely dependant on your deck watch and their visual range, since you can´t lock on radar targets. My watch, depending on weather, can´t spot targets more than 9nm away, and I´m pretty sure that light cruisers were able to engage targets that far. And about the accuracy, it´s either this accurate or extremely inaccurate. Another issue shipped with this game, but remember it wasn´t ment for surface ships.

You can tweak enemy sensitivity is Sim.cfg in Cfg folder.

Oh and by the way, the Omaha is ready, just need to test her a little bit more before uploading.

Battle of Midway, USS Omaha. Had to pull back with two destroyed turbines and 72% hull damage. Luckilly I was abe to outrun them.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/4...9223416078.jpg

Cdp44

Last edited by cdp44; 11-09-11 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 10:33 PM   #71
steve_the_slim
Loader

Quote:
Oh and by the way, the Omaha is ready, just need to test her a little bit more before uploading.
This gives me a happy.

Honestly, my concern about the engagement range of the Dido isn't so much how far it can shoot but that it can so accurately hit tiny targets at that distance. I'll accept that maybe the other ships I've played lacked their prototypical range, seeing as I don't really know all that much about WWII naval combat. But I still doubt that any ship could hit a target as small as a gunboat with its first salvo at nine miles away. Everything I've read seemed to indicate that it generally took a while for gunners to get the range on a target and that they depended on the splashes from misses to zero in. I'm pretty sure that if the Japanese fleet could have matched the accuracy of this Dido, Taffy 3 would have been on the bottom in a matter of seconds.
Old 11-10-11, 01:29 AM   #72
cdp44
Electrician's Mate

You can always let them come closer . I know that at certain situations they seem little bit too accurate, but before this fix, they were sometimes unable to hit targets 2000ft away, I´ve seen it myself . And the enemy was happily pounding my ship from much longer distances.

Think about it as the guns are radar assisted and that you have a very accurate fire director, than the accuracy would basicaly match.

Remember that this is a subsim, but you can´t dive with a ship when things get too rough. So now you have the ability to dispose of the enemy quickly. And trust me, in a career it can be a lifesaver.

Cdp44

Last edited by cdp44; 01-03-12 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-10-11, 03:48 AM   #73
cdp44
Electrician's Mate

Standalone Omaha uploaded, link in the first post. Contains merger patch to make it compatible with ShipPack v1.2. Follow instructions in the Readme.txt.

Cdp44
Old 11-10-11, 07:54 AM   #74
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

hi....what was your name? i forgot:/ anyway i will try the omaha and tell you
Old 11-10-11, 08:11 AM   #75
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf