SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-23-12, 10:28 AM   #1501
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
I was thinking of a possible DLC for Skyrim, The Return to Morrowind.

Bear me out, I wager that when the Red Mountain went up it went up like Krakatoa, thus all the areas around the mountain would be vaporised, however places further out on the Azure coast and Solestheim would be primarily buried under ash with some blast damage. There would probably be a new volcano formed in the ruins of Red Mountain, just as Anak Krakatoa lies where Krakatoa exploded.

The quest line could start as an archeological dig in the ruins of...I dunno...Balmora, and go on from there, featuring the in-fighting of House Haalu and Telvanni and so forth, and perhaps feature something dark lurking in the ruins of the Red Mountain.

Just an idea thrown out there, I would enjoy playing through such a storyline anyway.
Vvardenfell is still there, it's just covered in ash and is very inhospitable. Where Vivec City was is nothing but a boiling impact crater from when the Ministry of Truth hit called the Scathing Bay. They talk about it a bit in the books (Infernal City and Lord of Souls - both worth the read)

I'd like to see Ald'Ruhn. Mike Kirkbride said that the Daedra attacked the city during the Oblivion crisis and the Dunmer used a spell to bring the giant crab buildings back to life to fight the Daedra. Yes, I'm very serious.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 03:39 PM   #1502
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

Got my first Dragon killcam-animation today. I thought I'd already died when the camera shifted to external, and then all of a sudden my guy jumped on top of the Dragon's head and started hacking away.

Note the camouflage, especially designed to work while mounting Dragons!

Hack hack hack...

Finish him!
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 04:23 PM   #1503
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

If anyone's inclined, try out this smithing perk overhaul ive been working on.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21459...thOverhaul_esp

I think you'll like it. It gets rid of some annoyances in perk selection without making it overpowered. (For example, Steel plate armor being over on the light armored side) Disable any mod that changes smithing perks first.

Modesty aside, i think what i did with this is a stoke of genius.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 04:48 PM   #1504
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Still thinking that one of the DLCs will be an anti-Thalmor campaign. Dialogue from Ulfric and Tullius at the end of each side of the Civil War campaign would seem to be foreshadowing.

Regarding the dragon kill camera, the battleaxe and warhammer animations are so much better than the swords.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 05:40 PM   #1505
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
Still thinking that one of the DLCs will be an anti-Thalmor campaign. Dialogue from Ulfric and Tullius at the end of each side of the Civil War campaign would seem to be foreshadowing.
Oh yeah I am keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Quote:
Regarding the dragon kill camera, the battleaxe and warhammer animations are so much better than the swords.
I've gotten two killcams with dragons this week, both in very close succession. And I was using Dragonbane both times and yeah, I remember the killcams with a warhammer (oh how I miss that BF Daedric one I had) and I don't think the 1H sword ones, at least, are anywhere near as fun.
Got one on the first Whiterun dragon once, pretty sure I was using a 2H axe because it was the one the Jarl had just given me and I was playing a 2H combat character then. Also better than the 1H sword.

In other news I've just joined the Nightingales and gotten the cool armor. Plus I have a Nightingale Blade and Chillrend. Thinking of going dual wield with those when we meet to go after Mercer, or maybe just Chillrend with a shield. Seems fitting that he should be killed with Chillrend if at all possible. Also need to find a mod that allows tempering of the Nightingale Blade as this doesn't seem to be possible without one.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 06:06 PM   #1506
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I've gotten two killcams with dragons this week, both in very close succession. And I was using Dragonbane both times and yeah, I remember the killcams with a warhammer (oh how I miss that BF Daedric one I had) and I don't think the 1H sword ones, at least, are anywhere near as fun.
Got one on the first Whiterun dragon once, pretty sure I was using a 2H axe because it was the one the Jarl had just given me and I was playing a 2H combat character then. Also better than the 1H sword.
It is a bit of a trade-off, though. While one-handed kills on dragons are kind of lousy, the one-handed kill cam moves on NPC humanoids are so much better than the two-handed ones.
Old 03-23-12, 11:36 PM   #1507
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
It is a bit of a trade-off, though. While one-handed kills on dragons are kind of lousy, the one-handed kill cam moves on NPC humanoids are so much better than the two-handed ones.
Yeah, very true. Altho I did get a lot of decap killcams with the warhammer, but probably because I'd taken the perk for decap. Those were pretty awesome, though, especially the first one because I wasn't expecting to see myself take some guy's head RIGHT OFF like that.

And now some pics from more recent adventures:

Esbern, master of overkill. "A Storm Atronach? Really? For a lone cave bear?" "Er... uh... I'm sorry, you'll have to speak up. I'm a little deaf in that ear."

Why, yes, I would like to talk to Marcurio. And the three words I'd like to say are, in this order, "dude," "personal," and "space."

So anyway on to more current events, took off from Whiterun for Irkmesomething, whatever it's called where we have to get Mercer Frey. Don't even get as far as the Whitewatch Tower when, I'm telling you, with this dragon it was like I was running up an airport runway and then suddenly realized a jet was coming directly at me and taking off right over my head. This thing seemed to just rise up right in front of me already in flight and went right over and then started circling around over the city but it didn't register as hostile or attack. Did this for, like, five minutes while I tried to lure it into attacking me but it wouldn't. I mean, I gave up on sneaking and was running around waving my sword and shouting at it when it flew over my head and, nothing.

Finally it takes off north and we run after it, see it land and start ravaging the guards at the watchtower. Before I get close enough to do anything, it takes off again and lands a little way off and starts attacking something or someone else farther out on the plain that I can't see at all. Oh, did I mention there was a giant coming up behind us on the road north out of Whiterun? Not a stupid dragon, I guess, didn't want to risk taking on one of those guys if he landed that close to where I was.

Anyway we're running up towards the dragon that is going at it with whatever evening snack it found on the plain, I shout at it once to get its attention away from whoever/whatever it's attacking, because it's clearly winning that battle. Marcurio is already blasting it from a distance, you know, the way he does, and yelling "THIS ENDS NOW!" It's so cute when he does that. But then in the flurry of magic being flung around I realize *I'm* taking damage and it's not from the dragon, who is not paying any attention to me at all, or accidentally from Marcurio who is between me and everybody else and is now blasting both the dragon and whatever else is over in that direction.

Anyway I run up to the dragon's flank and get about one good hit in after which it does its little deathflop, crackle crackle burn burn soul absorbed wahoo. So then I go looking around to see who would be DUMB ENOUGH to worry about attacking me when they are being assaulted by what must've been a very hungry dragon, I mean I saw him chewing up several Whiterun guards back at the tower and you know how meaty those guys are. And what do you think I find...

That'll do, pig. That'll do.

I almost felt bad about killing him after finding out that he passed up a chance to eat the Dovahkiin in order to chow down on Thalmor instead.

And oh yeah we got Mercer, I killed him with Chillrend just like I hoped and if he hadn't been so intent on monologuing like a comic book villain before starting the fight he could've saved himself being FusRoDah-ed off that ledge he was perched on. I'm not sure it did much damage to him but it felt real good. So I got all the Nightingale stuff, the armor is cool and with my smithing levels plus enchanted gear plus a potion I was able to make it pretty darn good. Not as good as my dragonscale but I really like it, especially for the Muffle enchant on the boots. I know I had that last time but I can't remember where I got it, I was able to enchant stuff with that myself so I know I learned the enchantment from something I came across somewhere. Maybe I was able to use something I looted from the DB Sanctuary when I destroyed them. Nothing I've picked up there as a member will let me do a disenchant on it.

So I may give Marcurio the dragonscale if I can make another helmet and gauntlets cuz the ones I was using have enchants on them that won't really mean much for him. It will make things a little more interesting if I'm wearing armor with a little *less* of an overall armor rating now that I've leveled up a bit and most of my weapons are really heavy-duty as far as the damage they dish out. Also, did I mention how COOL the Nightingale set looks?

Random observation: it would be really nice if I could harvest Juniper Berries from a juniper bush WITHOUT getting poked in the eye with a branch, because OW.
Old 03-23-12, 11:51 PM   #1508
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Blackberries are always fun, you can get about five before you inevitably miss and hit a thorn.

My current task has been heading for err, that place with the Wall of Alduin. Loved the little puzzles inside although I wanted the bad tiles to collapse into a bottomless pit instead of triggering flames. Then perhaps have smaller tiles with words on them so I had to jump to spell out Dovakhin.

"But in the Blades language, Dovakhin is spelt with an I...oh dear..."

Lucasfilms aside, I got to the big opening that requires the blood letting, and the game locked up. I have a nasty suspicion that it's related to the mods I grabbed, mainly Jaysus Swords, Sounds of Skyrim and the better people textures, I also grabbed SkyUI but that requires the Script extender, and the website for that was down...so that's another potential problem causer. When I get time in between sleeping and working I will have a proper look, hopefully it's just a random lock-up. Thank God for Win7s three finger salute function, I imagine XP would have just completely locked up.

Had to chuckle to myself though, on the way into the Wall myself, Captain Overkill and Blades girl (it's nearly five am, I'm fuzzy with names on a good day, let alone when I'm half asleep)...Delphine I think. First up was to clear out the Forsworn, and then whilst battling them a couple of Hagravens showed up, and then a Blood Dragon joined the party as well.
It was absolute bloody chaos, I had to be careful not to blue on blue.

I know what you mean about the surprise Dragon attacks though, I had one jump me out in the wilds...I was just walking along as peaceful as can be when a dragon shaped shadow moved across the ground in front of me, I turned around and there he was. Needless to say, Hammertime.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 08:03 AM   #1509
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
I know what you mean about the surprise Dragon attacks though, I had one jump me out in the wilds...I was just walking along as peaceful as can be when a dragon shaped shadow moved across the ground in front of me, I turned around and there he was. Needless to say, Hammertime.
I got a surprise like that taking the shortcut up the hill from Whiterun to Riverwood, IIRC, couldn't be arsed to go around on the road so I just cut straight up behind the farms. Was running full bore and ran head on into a... first a wolf, then a sabrecat, I think, or a bear, anyway one of the nastier critters. Killed both of those in turn and I'm standing there getting ready to take the pelt off the cat when I hear a big *thump* behind me and the ground shakes a little. And I think, geez, what is it NOW, a freakin' mammoth? Turn around and... oh, hello there, Mr. Dragon. How nice of you to drop in with absolutely NO WARNING.
Old 03-24-12, 08:48 AM   #1510
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Indeed it's hard to imagine how a creature the size of a dragon would be able to surprise you, but it just happens. I just had a pretty similar experience to that of Frau's, only that I came out of a cave. I ran maybe 20 meters and heard a *THUMP*, turned around and saw an Elder Dragon scorching Lydia

Today's screenies:

The Letrush twins

A huge stone mage tractor beaming my horse
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 08:55 AM   #1511
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Ehm...not exactly Skyrim but....I might going to need a Dovahkiin.

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 03-24-12 at 09:35 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 10:26 AM   #1512
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Ehm...not exactly Skyrim but....I might going to need a Dovahkiin.

HunterICX
Soon to be King Alduin of Ireland. At least he will be Englands problem and not ours.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 10:37 AM   #1513
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Opinion of me: 24
My opinion of Al-Duin: -7

So you're one of those dads.

Anyway, back to Skyrim.
Old 03-24-12, 10:37 AM   #1514
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincuan View Post

A huge stone mage tractor beaming my horse

Much to my delight I am still finding many amusements in Skyrim that I didn't notice or that just didn't happen on my last playthrough. I was back in Whiterun sorting out my loot, preparing to do some major smithing upgrades and other crafting and running full bore back and forth from Breezehome to one vendor after another. Now I used to get a lot of "watch what you're doing!" and "what are you doing that for?" but I've long since learned how to dodge whatever static obstacles there might be to my high speed progress around the city, so I no longer run through piles of firewood or bang my head on the sign hanging outside Warmaidens. So I haven't gotten any comments on my crazy running around for a while.

But yesterday I passed Vignar Grey-Mane in the street and as I was running by to wherever I was going I hear "12 septims on the girl... look at that speed!"
Old 03-24-12, 11:02 AM   #1515
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Okay I found a mod that lets me upgrade the Nightingale Blade (as well adding some nice tweaks to the armor enchantments), but apparently the Ebony smithing perk doesn't apply to it - which it should as it apparently applies to the Bow. Anybody know of a mod that fixes this? So far I can't find anything at Nexus that addresses this issue in particular.

Sucks because I'd really like to keep it on hand but the damage rating is so low compared to everything else I've got, it seems like a waste of Carry Weight space no matter how good it looks.

Also there's apparently no sheath for Chillrend when you have it equipped?