Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 12-18-10, 08:16 AM   #1
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2
Default May Day how do I get free Falcon

P P please I could use some help downloading free falcon. I tried earlier too download it got the run around. It sure looks like a great sim.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 10:22 AM   #2
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

http://www.freefalcon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17580

2nd link worked for me.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 02:40 PM   #3
yubba
Admiral

thanks for the reply, now I think I don't have enough horse power in my machine to run it. I am looking for online multiplayer player air combat though.
Old 12-18-10, 02:49 PM   #4
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

What are the specs?

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 04:36 PM   #5
seaniam81
Commodore

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0

You need a copy of Falcon 4 right? Free Falcon wont run on F4AF

seaniam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 06:35 PM   #6
yubba
Admiral

1.8 gig on the processor 512 ram that's my online machine, it's the lure of online multiplayer that's maken me crazy. I did aces high 2 online that was alot of fun. It's like they say once you've been too Paris it's hard to keep'em on the farm.
Old 12-22-10, 02:32 AM   #7
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Hey yubba Free Falcon doesn't require any CD.

You're welcome to message me to fly online. I'd prefer co-op but would be happy too for a dogfight especially with guns only.

PM sent.
Old 12-27-10, 06:02 PM   #8
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniam81 View Post
You need a copy of Falcon 4 right? Free Falcon wont run on F4AF

Whats the difference between the free falcon and the F4 AF? (other than price.)
Old 12-28-10, 12:37 AM   #9
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Whats the difference between the free falcon and the F4 AF? (other than price.)
Very. The models are all different, the campaigns too. The overall feeling is that they are two different game though sharing the same root in Falcon 4.0
Old 01-26-11, 03:45 AM   #10
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

Just to clear a few things up regarding Falcon 4 and it's various flavors, and what is required to install them.

1) Falcon AF: The retail version of an improved Falcon 4, current (and last it would seem) patch is 1.013. Pretty much locked down by Lead Pursuit making heavy modding difficult if not impossible although things like skins and extra theaters are available from various sources, as well as payware pits from Aeyes (www.cockpits.nl) in both 4:3 and widescreen variants. Unfortunately, due to the lockdown of files by LP, only F-16 pits can be changed. You can fly other aircraft in game through an easy tweak but you're stuck with the 16's pit.

2) Freefalcon 5: Previously, in FF4 Redviper, you were able to install this over Falcon AF or the original Falcon 4, but now in the latest version it is standalone, in that you can install it without needing either AF or F4 already on your HD. This version does have other aircraft pits included and adds a lot in the way of eyecandy while staying pretty much faithful to the systems and learning curve of AF.

3) OpenFalcon: Made by the original Benchmark Sims team before their breakup, OF was the result of a sourcecode leak by one of their own members, ultimately leading to their breakup. OF is considered as the most accurate representation of the F-16's avionics and adds many features that are missing in any other version. It also has the steepest learning curve so players new to Falcon should stick to AF or, at a push, FF5 to 'learn the ropes' before trying OF. Due to the source leak, OF was made available in an unfinished state and as such, there is no official support for it other than by it's users. There are stability issues (as there are with FF5 too) and it seems very picky about people's hardware configurations and OS. If you can run it, and forgive it's little quirks, it's a great piece of work that brings you closer to sitting in an actual F-16 pit than any of the other flavors. Graphics-wise, it's had it's fair share of improvements but focus is certainly on the avionics so it's not quite as 'pretty' as FF5.

4) BMS4: I'll put this here as a teaser as it doesn't 'officially' exist yet but there are many discussions in the Falcon community about this latest offering. A few mysterious screenshots popped up on the net along with a couple of short vids that claimed to show a new version of Falcon 4, allegedly developed by a newly reformed BMS team (responsible for OF), rumour has it that it will be DX9 based (as opposed to DX7 which is the base for all current versions of Falcon4) and as such will offer dynamic shadows, ambient occlusion, new realtime lighting effects, weather effects (rain on canopy, sunglare etc) among a host of other improved features. Whether it will be a standalone install, based on AF or the original F4 is unknown and whether it is ever to be released or whether it even exists is also a matter of opinion. Given BMS's experience with OF though, it's no wonder it's shrouded in such mystery and hearsay, but that's something that as a Falcon 4 fan, you have to get used to. But rumour has it that it is close to completion, make of that what you will. The videos are intriguing however as they do show features that were though to be impossible in the DX7 Falcon, and faking such videos is pretty pointless given the game's niche userbase. If they are faked, someone has WAY too much time on their hands.

So there ya go, hope that clears up a few questions regarding Falcon 4 for you newer viper drivers. I should also add that as far as multiplayer goes, AF is the most stable platform, as that was one of the key issues addressed by Lead Pursuit and they did a terrific job.

If anyone requires any inflight training from someone who has flown Falcon and it's various incarnations since 2000, I'm a server admin at Multivipers (www.multiviper.com) and can get you registered on Teamspeak and take you up for some one on one training in all aspects of the sim, be it A2A, A2G, or just to familiarize you with the avionics. You will always learn more quickly flying with humans than playing single player, I also urge against using simplified avionics as it tends to make your life harder in the long run as you get used to one level then have to relearn everything as you take a step up.

Multivipers run campaigns 24/7 and unlike VFW's, there is no requirement to commit at certain times or fly assessment flights. Just jump on when you feel like it and do your bit in the campaign. Anyone wanting training from me will be required to fly with me on my private campaign if they are relatively new to Falcon, after all, on the MV server there's a war going on and flying deep into enemy territory and then asking 'Ok, so how do I drop these bombs?' is kind of a no-no. PM me if interested and we'll sort something out, I'm British based so please take into account time differences when requesting meet ups.

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote