SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-14-09, 08:19 AM   #1
spitfire1122
Nub

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Steam and GWX3

Greetings fellow U-Boaters! I've recently downloaded SH3 from Steam onto a new computer and am trying to go through the process of installing GWX3. However, during the installation phase it tells me that it can't proceed as it has located some modded files. Now, this is a completely fresh download/install from Steam so I have no idea what modded files it could be talking about.

Has anyone come across this issue before? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
spitfire1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 01:42 PM   #2
Dissaray
中国水兵

Downloads: 35

I had this problem to once. The fix is easy, thoguh time consuming. All you have to do is go into your steam games tab and right click on SH3 and select deleat local content. Once that is done go to the directory where your steam stuff is, useualy it is some thing like C:Program files\ steam\ steam aps\ common\. If you find any trace of SH3 there delete it, back up an mod down loads if they are stored there if you want them for later. Then go to your My Documents folder and find the SH3 directory there, should be right in My Documents no need to hunt thru subfolders. Back up anything you want to keep, campain saves and such. After you do all this there is no trace of SH3 in any steam directory or directory they create. Re-down load the game from steam and install GWX3 and then put back any backed up files that you wanted to keep.

If there is a simpler or faster way of doing it I don't know what it is, but that way worked for me.
Dissaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 04:25 PM   #3
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

As this is a new install/pc you only need to point GWX's installer at the SH3 files in the Steam Apps folder. Simple as that.
Old 12-15-09, 12:43 AM   #4
spitfire1122
Nub

Thanks guys. The 2nd solution, of simply pointing the installer into my steamapps directory, worked a treat.
Old 12-15-09, 11:04 AM   #5
VirtualVikingX
Captain

Downloads: 40

Yeah Steam SH3 and GWX 3.0 works great.
VirtualVikingX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 05:02 PM   #6
Rogue Tomato
Swabbie

Downloads: 15

Right, I just installed SH3 from steam fresh, when I try to install GWX directly to the silenthunter3/SH3 folder It still says modded files were found, It also says this when I try to intall it into the steamapps folder.
Rogue Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 06:58 PM   #7
Rogue Tomato
Swabbie

Downloads: 15

I've checked the readme and my SH3 appears to be updated to version 1.4, I'm running vista aswell if that would cause a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rogue Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-09, 12:17 AM   #8
RoaldLarsen
Weps

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Tomato View Post
Right, I just installed SH3 from steam fresh, when I try to install GWX directly to the silenthunter3/SH3 folder It still says modded files were found, It also says this when I try to intall it into the steamapps folder.
Did you previously have a modded SH3 on your computer? If so, you must not only uninstall it, but also clear out any remaining files before installing the Steam version. Possibly a good idea to use a Registry cleaner too.
Covered 1939-1945; now restarting in 1939 again.
Completed 39 careers, 210 war patrols, 4.7Mt sunk, 19 subs lost
RoaldLarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 01:51 AM   #9
spitfire1122
Nub

Rogue Tomato - just do this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa View Post
As this is a new install/pc you only need to point GWX's installer at the SH3 files in the Steam Apps folder. Simple as that.
The installer wants to install GWX into your Program Files area (which is where your SH3 files WOULD be if you installed from a disk) but because you've installed from Steam (like me) then the SH3 files are in the Steamapps folder. SHould be something like C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\SH3
Old 12-20-09, 07:51 AM   #10
ridley
Helmsman

Downloads: 31
Default Multiple Installs with Steam

Is it possible to install multiple instances of SH3 with a steam version?

I would like to have a vanilla, GWX and LSH 5 versions installed.

If not is there anyway to ensure I buy the non starforce 1.4 DVD version of SH3 in the UK? (I have Vista)

Ridley
ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 07:08 PM   #11
Rangoon
A-ganger

Downloads: 16

Does anyone know if it's possible to use MultiSH3 with the Steam version? Specifically I mean to copy the "silent hunter 3" folder and have true multiple installs. It seems unlikely, but anyone tried it? With Steam can one have a vanilla install and a modded install? Just create a new shortcut to the modded install's .exe? Or will Steam not allow the game to run except from the original install path?

Thanks!
Rangoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 12:17 PM   #12
Panser
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridley View Post
Is it possible to install multiple instances of SH3 with a steam version?
Ridley
I would say not as steam entirely handles the installation of games, including the path. Copying and pasting the directory might work, however starting my version directly from the SH3.exe still causes it to open and run steam. Presumably there is something in the exe directing it to do this, which is probably tied to DRM.
Panser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-16, 07:26 PM   #13
BIGRED79
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

ok not new to the radio room{ ben using your ideas and advice for years now} but alas now im stuck on a steam version not running sh3 with gwx3. let me elaborate some. steam version sh3= good, steam sh3 +sh3 commander= good. by good i mean it starts up fine and loads into game play just fine. yes AFTER reading on all the advice i did turn down the graphix and run in xp sp2. Now this is not my first gwx3 install as iv done this several times with other machines, however this time sh3+gwx3= not good. the game fires right up.. load screens movies ect. but when a launch a career it goes to the normal loadscreen right...but at about 90% load in it ctd. I am using an overpowered machine. i have seen people post their rig specs and ill do it on my next post to help as this post is long...plz help me
BIGRED79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-16, 07:36 PM   #14
BIGRED79
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

alright you salty dogs hears my specs as promised.

windows 7 home premium, 64 bit
intel core 2 quadcore q8400 @2.66ghz
8 gb ram
nvidia 980gtx graphic card... everything is up to date. verified steam clean install as well as sh3 commander and gwx3... game runs fine vanilla, and vinilla with sh3 commander as long as im not running gwx3 any combo of gwx3 and it dosent wana run. I have installed the sh3 commander config files for running gwx3 strait from your site. iv never had this problem before and im gona continue to hunt but im pleading for help here
BIGRED79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-16, 02:41 PM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

BIGRED79!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote