Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-17, 04:01 PM   #16
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Out West in OR we called them mountain lions - (same animal, it has other names too). We lived in the foothills of the coast range there.

I was walking up the 2 mile gravel road to my place and heard something in the brush above me. When I stopped, it stopped, this happened several times. I caught a glimpse of it behind the brush and sure enough I was being stalked and sized up for dinner.

Cougars - Mountain Lions are really big, almost as big as a female African Lion. After that I took our German shepherd with me on those walks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
After that I surely would have had something 9mm or bigger with me in addition to the dog.
Grantsville, Utah is just thirty miles outside of Salt Lake City, and only five miles from the small city of Tooele (pronounced Too-will-a). I have a friend who has a small horse property just outside of Grantsville, and he keeps a couple of loaded shotguns handy for what he calls "kitty problems".
Old 04-23-17, 06:58 PM   #17
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

When I was a airbase patrol man we had a terrible Mule deer problem; over breeding; over grazing; and several nearly road-kill'd cripples limping around from the nearby freeway ...just awful. they were a constant hazard to auto traffic. A lot of deer we recognized and actually had names! Then a cougar came into the base. Had we called Fish and Game they would have darted the animal and that's been fatal in the past, so, taking a page from Master and Commander: "the lesser of two weevils", we kept mum; alerted the the Coast Guard families living in the base housing to 'keep the kids close" and after a month or so... a very reduced deer problem and the Puma moved on having done the job it was designed for.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 09:44 PM   #18
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Eh, Cougars don't want old guys. We're in the direction they are trying to stave off going!
Well, unless we're talking really older cougars.... it's all relative, right?
Old 04-23-17, 09:49 PM   #19
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Well, unless we're talking really older cougars.... it's all relative, right?
Yeah, to a point!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 01:24 AM   #20
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

<O>
Old 04-26-17, 04:07 AM   #21
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

The older toothless cougar's have been seen in bars all over
Horseshoe Bay, Texas, but the good news is that they don't
drink all that much anymore.

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-18, 07:24 PM   #22
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
After that I surely would have had something 9mm or bigger with me in addition to the dog.
a 1911 Colt would have done it.
BTW, cougars in western USA are know as PUMAS.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-18, 07:27 PM   #23
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
When I was a airbase patrol man we had a terrible Mule deer problem; over breeding; over grazing; and several nearly road-kill'd cripples limping around from the nearby freeway ...just awful. they were a constant hazard to auto traffic. A lot of deer we recognized and actually had names! Then a cougar came into the base. Had we called Fish and Game they would have darted the animal and that's been fatal in the past, so, taking a page from Master and Commander: "the lesser of two weevils", we kept mum; alerted the the Coast Guard families living in the base housing to 'keep the kids close" and after a month or so... a very reduced deer problem and the Puma moved on having done the job it was designed for.
it sounds like you had a sane CO: a reasonable solution to a reasonable problem.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 04:19 PM   #24
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Talk about 'urban wildlife'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
I submit: Cougar Trap is now 2000 miles west of Neal and 30 miles south of my previous encounter zone; in the heart of San Francisco... https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...d-15353658.php
If there are no mule deer are to be had a marsupial at the zoo will do nicely
Quote:
The three marsupials were part of the zoo’s popular Australian WalkAbout exhibit, a large enclosure along the northern edge of the zoo immediately adjacent to Sloat Boulevard and to the perimeter fence separating the zoo grounds from the outside.

Zoo veterinarians performed necropsies on the three animals and confirmed that they were “killed by a predator attack.” Chan said they had been bitten. The zoo, Chan said, “ took steps to prevent any further loss” but she did not say what the steps were.
“With the unusual sighting and capture of a young mountain lion in San Francisco this week, the zoo is investigating whether this could be the perpetrator,” Chan said.
the ferocious cat was captured safely without darting and returned to a more suitable habitat! The puma, a 15-month-old male, was taken to the Oakland Zoo where a veterinary team deemed him healthy for release back into the wild. The animal weighed in at 68 pounds, according to the zoo.

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife released the mountain lion in an open preserve Friday, zoo officials said.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-22-20 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-23-20, 10:16 AM   #25
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

What would we do without you Aktung?

You deserve a star for photo journalism

Something is eating pet dogs in our neighborhood
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 03:26 PM   #26
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Something is eating pet dogs in our neighborhood
That could be considered catamount to felinious canine cannibalism.

Old 06-23-20, 03:48 PM   #27
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Our immediate neighbour "had" a european wildcat, which is quite rare here, from Poland. A bit bigger than the usual suspect with egyptian migration background we call 'house cats', orange with black stripes, a broad tail and impossible to tame. She came now and then to get some food, but never came close and lived in the forest. Would sometimes lie in the garden in the sun, and then disappear again for a while. The other neighbour's dog would not stop harrassing and barking behind the fence, so at some point she went over it and killed the dog. No joke.
The relationship between said neighbours was a bit strained, for a while.

We can be lucky that those feline beasts of prey have the size they have - or otherwise we would have probably already exterminated them.
As they say "god gave us cats so we could pet tigers"..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 09:53 PM   #28
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Maybe this is not relevant at all but it is about dogs.

The subject is about how dogs got their name, as told by my grandpa.

Back in the Old Testament, in the book of Genesis, Adam was walking around the garden of Eden naming all the animals in sight. Adam was one day talking to the Lord when he said, "There is this one animal that is a very good pal and likes to sleep and play with me. He is unlike any other animal I have encountered.", Adam asked," What should I name him?"

God responded, "My name". Adam looked flabbergasted. He had never thought of the idea of naming a dog after the heavenly father! Luckily, God could see his confusion and said," My name backward." Adam thought for a moment and then shouted, "DOG!". So he named the animal that was playing with him Dog. He decided to go a step further and give the dog its own name. He decided to name it dog. He couldn't think of any other name because he hadn't met another human being before so he had no knowledge of names available.

And that my friend is how dogs got their name.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote