SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-08, 01:33 AM   #1
neversommer
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Career Problems...New here!

Hi guys

I've been looking and looking and could not find anything of help..thank god i found this site and hopefully you guys will be able to help me out. First of all..I love this game...ok? I love it..I am into flight sim 2004 and X and love this one 2.

Now 1 thing I have problems with is the following...Whenever I enter the game..(Patch 1.4)I have to reclick all the realism settings in the options..i never stays like that..Then I got to career..choose 1941..reown (dont know yet what that means) of 2000 and normal difficulty..

Now whatever mission I get..I **** there with 8000 something speed and then once I arrive around the orange star nothing happens...usually it tells me ok you have to destroy merchant ship or take pictures...lately...I get the photograph missions..so once i get there there is no message, the star remains orange while it should go grey and I dont have a button to take a picture...

Is this a bug? I mean my machine can handle this game well..

I am also looking for some extremely good mods..and hopefully for a fix to those problems..I can never finish a mission on my career mode like this,cause it never tells me once I get there what to do...

Could anyone please assist me with this matter of issue?

Is there a mod for this to fix such career campaign problems?

Also are there any mods to add some more submarines to this game? How can i get better torpedoes?
Is there a mod for better water graphics?
Thank you..

Neversommer.

Sry I am noob ...I have to say that..I just want my complete sh4 experience..but with this problems...I am depressed

Thx.

My computer just in case

Toshiba P300 ( Laptop)
Core 2 duo T9300
4GB Ram
ATI HD 3650 512 Mbit ram
640GB Ram
Vista Home Premium
neversommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 02:11 AM   #2
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

Hi Neversommer, welcome to Subsim. The issues you've described are not bugs, but quirks with the game and a lack of understanding of the underlying game mechanics. I'll try to answer some of your questions, I'm sure others will chime in to fill in the gaps.

Quote:
Now whatever mission I get..I **** there with 8000 something speed and then once I arrive around the orange star nothing happens...usually it tells me ok you have to destroy merchant ship or take pictures...lately...I get the photograph missions..so once i get there there is no message, the star remains orange while it should go grey and I dont have a button to take a picture...
There are a number of different objectives you may be tasked in the game. The 2 most common ones are marked by an orange star and EITHER (a) a binoculars icon, or (b) a flag icon.

For the first, you must patrol within a certain radius of the icon for a fixed period of time. I use 100nm as the radius (I don't stray beyond this) and 72 hrs as the time to remain on station. Sinking ships isn't a requirement; once the objective is complete you can radio for new orders or patrol elsewhere to get some tonnage.

For the second, as soon as you arrive at the objective the icon should turn grey. You will be given a new objective, which is to sink enemy ships. In the stock game you'll need to sink a total of 10,000 tons of merchant shipping to fulfil the objective. Ships sunk prior to receiving this objective doesn't count.

For photo recon missions (never had them myself), there should be a button in one of your toolbars to enable you to take photos. You'll need to sneak into the designated harbour and take pics.

This link gives you a basic idea how to complete missions in SH4: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...eting+missions

Quote:
I am also looking for some extremely good mods...
There are basically 2 mods that improve on the game. The each have their own design philosophy, and are mutually incompatible, ie you use one or the other, you can't install both or you'll CTD.

One is Trigger Maru Overhauled (TMO) which I am using at the moment, and the other is Real Fleet Boat (RFB). A simple summary: TMO strives to achieve a balance between realism and gameplay, whilst RFB tries to achieve realism in the game. Both are equally good, and it's a matter of personal preference which one to use.

There is a 3rd mod, Run Silent Run Deep Campaign (RSRDC) where the modder basically rewrote the campaign layer (this is the data that tells the game what ships to spawn where, and to take which route) so as to correspond to historical data. There are 3 versions of this mod: one each for the stock game (ver 1.5, meaning that you must have installed the add-on), TMO and RSRDC.

There is also one or two "environmental" mods which (I think) makes the eye candy prettier. I find the game pretty enough myself, so I've not used those.

Then of course there are all those minor mods that normally tweak one single aspect of the game.

Whilst we're on the subject of mods, an essential utility you *must* get is Jones Soft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME) which makes installing and removing mods very easy.

You should take a look at the SH4 mods forums, and ask your mod-related questions there.

Quote:
Also are there any mods to add some more submarines to this game? How can i get better torpedoes?
Is there a mod for better water graphics?
There is an add-on for SH4, called U-boat missions, that adds U-boats in the Pacific Theatre. This is historical, and they patrolled mainly the Indian Ocean I believe. Even if you don't intend to play U-boats, I highly recommend getting this as it upgrades the game to v1.5. Otherwise you'll be stuck in 1.4 which is the last official patch made for the game. Also many, if not all, modders now make their mods for 1.5 only.

You get better torpedoes as time progresses, and in general the game reflects what happened historically. You start with the Mk 14, in early to mid '43 the Mk 23 becomes available, then the Mk 18, etc etc.

Mod for better water graphics - see my comment above on environmental mods.

Quote:
Sry I am noob ...I have to say that..I just want my complete sh4 experience..but with this problems...I am depressed
You don't have to apologise for being new to this game - we were all new once. SH4 takes some investment in time to master the basics, but once you do so you'll find a rich gaming experience.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 07:02 AM   #3
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 102

Reading your post it is clear you are really new to this sim.. That is entirely, ok we all were once. No exceptions.. I only mentioned it to frame whats next: My advice on the major mods.. hold off until you learn the nuts and bolts of the game.

Why?

You said you were depressed already...well....these mods are only going to increase that feeling for the inexperienced. Don't get me wrong...these mods are super, but like fine wines they take experience in order to fully appreciate them. Learn the ropes first, litter the seabed with enemy shipping, then move on to the realism mods. Of course use all the graphic enhancenment mods you want. They are easily installed and removed if you don't like them using JSGME. (Do search to learn to use this installer, if you don't already.)

As for the realism settings you have to reset those for each career from inside the "office". Scroll left and you will see a radio on the bookshelf. Left click it and up pops your realism settings. Set them from there and they will remain for the entire career.

Another helpful thread would be:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...t=taking+photo

Good luck and stick with it...most of what you mentioned will become clearer as you gain experience...and the frustration will disappear..you can count on it. (or at least shift to a different focus... )
Old 08-26-08, 07:20 AM   #4
neversommer
Swabbie

First of all

a big thank you to you guys..trying to help me out..well..I learned and got better..but now I have a new weird problem...sometimes all of a sudden the whole engine stops working like the propeller or the turbines on the back and I cant turn them back on..the ship starts sinking and gets onto the ocean which is a really scary thing...a submarine drops couple of thousand meters down.......(i hate depths)

Is there a way to fix this? Its annoying it almost finished my mission..I wanted to return and then my turbines turned themselfs off..there was no dmg..just turned off...

any advice please???Its weird

By the way,I got now the addon as well ...but the problem with the turbines turn off here and there still remains.
Old 08-26-08, 08:38 AM   #5
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 102

If your boat sunk a couple of thousand meters then you should be looking at a screenie of a statue commemorating your sacrifice.

If your engines just stopped working,for no apparent reason, my first thought is that you went to Battle stations and did not remember to secure from Battle Stations. This would cause your crew to become fatigued beyond their ability to continue manning the boat.

There have been threads though about mysterious engine stoppages..with no cure that I recall other than relaoding a past save. This could also be the problem.
Old 08-26-08, 08:39 AM   #6
UrPeaceKeeper
Helmsman

Downloads: 40

I dont suppose you are running out of fuel are you? (This wouldnt cause the random sinking though). Propellors stop for one of three reasons. Either your propulsion is switching from battery to electric or electric to Battery (not a problem really on fleet boats as the switch is nearly instant) or you are running out of fuel, OR you have your crew at battle stations and they have become exhausted to the point where they refuse to work. If this is the case remove battle stations and turn on time compression and it should work.

The Sinking could be caused by being hit by an airplane. The stock game does a very poor job alerting you to certain things like land in front of you (there are lots of little islands to hit so be carefull where you plan your routes around islands) or when an airplane pops up it can sometimes "ignore" them. This would certainly cause the sinking problem as you are most likely getting bombarded to death!

My most frustrating patrol ever allowed me to sink 3 carriers out of a task force, 2 bb's, and about 40k of other merchant ships... on my return trip I ran into one of the very very very tiny islands on my route back to port I was furious. I guess it goes to show that you should save often!

Ohh and watch out for mines in ports, they hurt baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Happy hunting!

UPK
UrPeaceKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 10:24 AM   #7
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer
I have to reclick all the realism settings in the options..i never stays like that..Then I got to career..choose 1941..reown (dont know yet what that means) of 2000 and normal difficulty..
Welcome to sub sim.

That is the number 1 most asked question

The 'difficulty' settings for carrier mode are made within the game. Look to the left of your desk in the office, up on the shelf is a radio, click on that. That is where you set them. You may have to pan your view to see the radio depending on your settings.

Renown is like a currency that you 'spend' on things like better quailified sailors, equipment upgrades, better torpedoes (depending on date / theater).

Lastley let me recommend you go ahead and get the uboat add on. It patches your game to ver 1.5 which tackled quite a few niggling bugs, and adds some content. Even if your not interested in Uboats. Furthermore most of the lattest mods are being 'built' to use this version (1.5) and sooner or later your going to be wanting to use some of the mods
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 10:59 AM   #8
buddha95
Planesman

Downloads: 0
welcome aboard

you can do a search of my name and get all my noob ?s and answers. May save time.
i read the forum 3 times a day and will watch out for your ?s.

the other captians answered your current ?s pretty well.
use the radio in the office in port to custom select the items that make up your diffuculty level.
the photo icon is a camera on the periscope task bar. the ship/s you must photo will light it up when locked on in the periscope.
on the main screen is an icon on the right. it has radio messages ,,,,etc. It will tell the status of your missions and if you got a new one, ( they do that)
good luck and i will watch for you.

the sarge
keep him warm for the reat of his life !!

http://s309.photobucket.com/albums/kk365/buddha95-3898http://battleflags.net/miniflags/Bat...ddha95_sig.jpg
/
buddha95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 05:29 PM   #9
neversommer
Swabbie

Thank you guys so much...well it is for sure not the fuel as I switched that off in the realism settings...So it cant be that...well i did get bombarded from various planes but I didnt take much dmg...could be the fatigue because I destroyed 9 merchant ship and 3 destroyers on my way to take the photo.

So I got my way around the photo mission now..

As well I have now the addon with the 1.5 patch..seems sh4 is running a lot smoother then it was before...amazing...But they have changed the colours of the icons and stuff....i like it...it makes it a lot more fun now

Grettings commander.
Old 08-27-08, 06:35 PM   #10
neversommer
Swabbie

Hi Guys

I have a problem again..well not a problem but its annoying..i downloaded a mod that should increase travel time,now what I didnt know is that it somehow has increased the speed of my gar that is running up to 55 knots on surface..which is damn fast and makes it so hard to bring to a full stop...I didnt make a backup and before I reinstall the game...quick question..what can i do now? Can I change it myself? Do you guys have a file for it?

Besides a side question..which is the best submarine to start with?

There is the porpoise,tambor and gar..i choose gar all the time,whats the differences of the subs???I am very interested

Thank you
Old 08-27-08, 09:15 PM   #11
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Quote:
my gar that is running up to 55 knots on surface..
Wholy freakin smokes

Yea somethins screwed up.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 09:29 PM   #12
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

Quote:
...I didnt make a backup and before I reinstall the game...quick question..what can i do now?
Not answering your question directly, but you will save a lot of grief if you use JSGME to install your mods.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 11:19 PM   #13
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
what can i do now? Can I change it myself? Do you guys have a file for it?

Besides a side question..which is the best submarine to start with?

There is the porpoise,tambor and gar..i choose gar all the time,whats the differences of the subs???I am very interested

Thank you
Imho it's best to reinstall, then do what Zero Niner suggested and get JSGME. You can of course list all the files the mod changes and hope someone sends them to you, but if there are many then reinstall is really the best thing to do.

On submarines and Pacific sub war in general see this
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-18, 07:57 AM   #14
AndTheBestItaly
Bilge Rat

Icon9 Hello want to ask how can i play the career with the mod, i need help

Hello i want to ask how can i play the career with mod because i have download a mod that add the IJN Zuikaku Fleet carier of the 1944, and i want to play with it?
Can help me?
AndTheBestItaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-18, 10:14 AM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

AndTheBestItaly!WAY 2 REVIVE A DECADE DEAD THREAD!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote