SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-08, 02:22 AM   #766
DivingDuck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 1

Moin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart
:hmm:
You tried to turn off InteriorIllumination controller?
It does some objects invisible ...
I´ve changed the visibility byte for the glasses to '1'. Thus the glasses should become visible. They don´t. They only become visible when the flags are changed, but unfortunately they are not transparent then. I´ve not found the correct combination yet.

Regards,
DD
DivingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 03:37 AM   #767
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatx3
Thanks for the report. As the error indicates, the filename is not valid. <> characters are not allowed in a filename.

The labels attached to the node/model are used to suggest a filename, and if you accept the default filename, in this case it fill fail. I will correct this in a future release, but in the mean time, change the filename yourself when exporting (removing the <> should suffice).

skwas
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 04:42 AM   #768
BlackCatx3
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Skwasjer,

Thank you for the prompt response! Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to change the filename. As soon as I click the blue "Export" text on the right side of the screen or if I choose it from the File drop down, the error message immediately appears. The "save model" dialog box NEVER opens to allow you to change the filename. Normally you get the "save model" dialog box first, then the export options dialog box follows after you click SAVE.

If I make a copy of the .dat and then open it in S3D, is there a way to somehow change the name of the model or node BEFORE attempting to export it? So that the <> characters are removed from the filename BEFORE I click on EXPORT.

Unless I can figure out a way to do that, I don't see how it is possible to export the models...
BlackCatx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 05:44 AM   #769
skwasjer
The Old Man

Yea, as Mikhayl explained

I will strip invalid characters from the label in the next release when suggesting a filename...
Old 09-01-08, 04:49 PM   #770
sonar_PL
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 32
Hi Skwasjer...

Can You code SH MENU positions EDITOR to next S3D 1.0 editor with viewer?

Regards
sonar_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 07:09 PM   #771
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar_PL
Hi Skwasjer...

Can You code SH MENU positions EDITOR to next S3D 1.0 editor with viewer?

Regards
Hi sonar_PL,

Not anytime soon, sorry.
Old 09-02-08, 08:05 PM   #772
sonar_PL
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 32

:hmm: I need menu editor. We dont have any software for editing menus files.

Ok. BTW thanks for good stuff like S3D
sonar_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 03:26 PM   #773
BlackCatx3
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Thanks Mikhayl! I will give your suggestion a try.
BlackCatx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 03:43 PM   #774
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
This program has a lot of great work in it and lots of time..I have it installed..When will there ever be instructions on how to use it for dummys like me.....

clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 09:00 AM   #775
skwasjer
The Old Man

clayp,

Documentation is the least of my priorities at the moment unfortunately. It's simply too much work for a single guy like me to code and write documentation at the same time, in my spare time. I am not a writer, and English is not my native tongue either. Please search for tutorials, and use those to find out more about the game, as well as S3D. There's already a few good tutorials.

My signature also has some links to tutorials (incl. a couple video tutorials that show you how to work with S3D).

Please keep in mind that no documentation will ever explain you how to mod a game. The nature of modding is experimenting, trying out new things, and learning on the go. It takes alot of effort from any person around here, even with tools like S3D.

Another tip is to seek out small mods, and see what files they contain, what was changed, and what the result was.

If time permits me, I will try to make more tutorials, but please bear with me. I'm a real busy man IRL with my own business as well...

PS: I have asked for help in the past and had a few offers but noone pulled through in the end. I do hope some experienced S3D users with technical writing skills can find some (precious) time to help me and everybody else out.
Old 09-10-08, 10:17 AM   #776
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayp
This program has a lot of great work in it and lots of time..I have it installed..When will there ever be instructions on how to use it for dummys like me.....
Hi clayp,

this tool wasn't designed for dummies but for advanced modders...

However, have a look here:

http://sh4.skwas.net/docs.aspx

Cheers,
SquareSteelBar
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 03:25 PM   #777
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
PS: I have asked for help in the past and had a few offers but noone pulled through in the end. I do hope some experienced S3D users with technical writing skills can find some (precious) time to help me and everybody else out.
Yes, guilty as charged . I'll put my hand up to that, not the experienced user part, the other bit. I did offer to do some documentation and I still have the requirements for said documentaion, but I thought to myself 'I'll just do a bit more modding, so I make sure I really know S3D'. And well, when you're working on your latest mod, you want to get it finished and you never seem to have enough time to mod, eat, go to work AND breathe.
Old 09-10-08, 05:32 PM   #778
skwasjer
The Old Man

Nisgeis, you were not the only one and I hope you see I wasn't really pointing fingers to you. You are doing great work yourself. I was just trying to say I really need help on the documentation part by people with "field experience". Not only is this helpful to new modders, but also to me, because I see where shoes don't fit and where important details are overlooked allowing me to add or emphasize parts of documentation or even improve S3D.

I realise everyone is very busy. But I'm in a tough spot. I have to maintain a difficult project that alot of people rely on by now (I've got 6000+ downloads since dec 2007), and so I can use any help I can get. I appreciate any offers, even if it turns out blank for whatever reason. If you or anyone else feels inclined then do it whenever you want.
Old 09-14-08, 12:12 PM   #779
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
clayp,

Documentation is the least of my priorities at the moment unfortunately. It's simply too much work for a single guy like me to code and write documentation at the same time, in my spare time. I am not a writer, and English is not my native tongue either. Please search for tutorials, and use those to find out more about the game, as well as S3D. There's already a few good tutorials.

My signature also has some links to tutorials (incl. a couple video tutorials that show you how to work with S3D).

Please keep in mind that no documentation will ever explain you how to mod a game. The nature of modding is experimenting, trying out new things, and learning on the go. It takes alot of effort from any person around here, even with tools like S3D.

Another tip is to seek out small mods, and see what files they contain, what was changed, and what the result was.

If time permits me, I will try to make more tutorials, but please bear with me. I'm a real busy man IRL with my own business as well...

No problem bud..I wasn't getting on you about it just lamenting the fact that I'm so stupid that I trouble figuring it out..I'm sure that you are an extremely smart person to write a program like this..I will work on it and maybe sooner or later I might get it...

clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 01:47 PM   #780
kptn_kaiserhof
XO

Downloads: 42
i can never figure s3d out but seems great for what i heard
kptn_kaiserhof is offline   Reply With Quote