SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-18, 10:08 AM   #1
BristolBrick
Seaman

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Game does not register a kill?

Sank a Liberty cargo in '44 with an XXI near Hartlepool. Did not get credited, despite seeing it sink within a minute of my torpedo hit. Nothing is anywhere near this, and I checked the log. No credit. Entire ship is underwater, flat seas too, nature didn't kill-steal me, although reading a few threads about this issue I loaded the save file again, and fired a salvo of 6 torpedoes at him, one bounced off the hull but the rest all detonated and the Liberty did exactly what you would expect after 5 torpedo hits. Still no credit.

It's happened before, is there some way I can add this to the patrol log manually? I tried in SH3 commander but that didn't seem to work.

Thanks for your time. Running stock 1.4, but from what I've heard GWX has the problem too. (Although I am unsure of this)
BristolBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 05:10 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Was there bad weather? I have read somewhere that you may hit a ship which then will be damaged and sink because of the rough sea. Unfortunately you are not credited in that case.

Only workaround I guess: Send more torpedos to technically 'destroy' the ship before it starts to sink or finish it with the deck gun if no destroyers are nearby.

I don't know but maybe there is a single mod that corrects that? Thanks anyone to reply if yes!

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-29-18 at 05:44 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 06:31 PM   #3
BristolBrick
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Was there bad weather? I have read somewhere that you may hit a ship which then will be damaged and sink because of the rough sea. Unfortunately you are not credited in that case.

Only workaround I guess: Send more torpedos to technically 'destroy' the ship before it starts to sink or finish it with the deck gun if no destroyers are nearby.
Wind was 5m/s, I loaded the save again and fired a salvo of 6 torpedoes at it, still nothing.

Edit: I got annoyed at this, so I let that liberty cargo go, and started patrolling again. I found another liberty cargo, and it had the exact same issue.

Last edited by BristolBrick; 06-29-18 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 07:05 PM   #4
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Hi BristolBrick,

Couple of things from the GWX manual, which also pertain to stock:

"The following are stock Silent Hunter III issues the GWX Team is unable to address:

- If you upgrade your U-boat at the end of the current patrol you may not receive any credit for ships sunk during the patrol, so you should upgrade your U-boat only when you are ashore and about to leave for the next patrol".

And:

- "If you restart a game saved when you were within 50 km of a ship you just sank, then that ship can occasionally be "resurrected" as it was before you sank it with the same ship type, course, speed, etc. Silent Hunter III will give you credit for the original sinking; however, you will gain no credit for sinking the "resurrected" version since the game remembers you have already sunk that ship".

So a few things to contemplate:

1. When you didn't receive credit, was this in the patrol log during the patrol or after the patrol, in the office?

2. Upgrading of the u-boat issue. I'm not quite sure what they mean exactly by that first point, other than in between patrols the game tends to create two auto-saves, an "in base after mission" and "in base before mission". So I think what they're getting at is that if you do any upgrades in the "after mission" part, you may encounter some problems with ship credits. Whether they mean the renown or the tonnage as well I don't know.

3. Finally, is it possible that you may have sunk the same ship twice, as per the second point?

If none of these issues apply then I guess it's a bug coming from somewhere else. It's a bit of a shame but fortunately it doesn't seem to happen too often. Hey, hope this helps.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 11:32 PM   #5
BristolBrick
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork100 View Post
So a few things to contemplate:

1. When you didn't receive credit, was this in the patrol log during the patrol or after the patrol, in the office?

2. Upgrading of the u-boat issue. I'm not quite sure what they mean exactly by that first point, other than in between patrols the game tends to create two auto-saves, an "in base after mission" and "in base before mission". So I think what they're getting at is that if you do any upgrades in the "after mission" part, you may encounter some problems with ship credits. Whether they mean the renown or the tonnage as well I don't know.

3. Finally, is it possible that you may have sunk the same ship twice, as per the second point?
Thanks for the help, it did not show up in patrol logs. (I tried manually adding it via SH3 commander, didn't work) I didn't upgrade my uboat, I did though change the torpedo loadout. (I do this every patrol in late war since I dislike FaT torpedoes)

It is possible I sank a resurrected ship, I did sink some near Dover, and then sailed north up to Scotland, it's possible I bumped into the resurrected ship a couple of times.
Old 06-30-18, 07:24 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolBrick View Post

It is possible I sank a resurrected ship, I did sink some near Dover, and then sailed north up to Scotland, it's possible I bumped into the resurrected ship a couple of times.

You should be able to check that in your Captain's Log: after the first sinking the ship should be logged; try to remember the route you have taken after that and whether you have saved/reloaded game since.

I wonder if this happens in WAC, LSH3 or other mods too, and what about SH4, SH5...??
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 04:29 PM   #7
Sub187
Watch

Downloads: 10

I think it’s a bug. NYGM suffers from it as well, even if you KNOW you haven’t sunk a resurrected ship (by sinking no more than one ship of a class). I get around the problem by editing my save game at the end of each patrol.
Sub187 is offline   Reply With Quote