SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-18, 02:10 AM   #1
VoidsX
Watch

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0
Default Well, that was a disappointment

I tried to recreate the Scapa Flow raid and sinking of the battleship, I snuck into the harbor in heavy storms and submerged all the way until I found a Revenge class battleship, I fired all 4 torpedoes with medium spread, I was lucky and all 4 hit, it tilted and flipped half way down and sat almost vertically, but it wouldn't sink, I fired 2 more torpedoes I had and it still wouldn't sink, I even fired at it from the opposite side.

I came close enough to see it under water and its side hit the sea floor while the other side still floating, I think that's why it didn't count as a kill, not enough room for it to sink completely.. oh well.
VoidsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 07:26 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

In all SH series except SH1: It's NOT advisable to enter ports to sink ships because there will be no AI actions to stop you, so it's not interesting. Furthermore, doing so can screw-up all traffic in your campaign. I advice you to save game when back in open sea with > 40 km away from port, then reload this save before continuing playing, and pray that your campaign is still intact...

Stay out of ports, also because it's pathetically easy, you turn SH3 in a bad arcade game. If you want a challenge by slipping into ports, then play SH1 (Commander Edition 1.3). You probably will do it only once because it's sort of harakiri for your sub, you will strand in shallow waters surrounded by destroyers. What's the point?

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-29-18 at 07:53 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 07:47 AM   #3
VoidsX
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
In all SH series except SH1: It's NOT advisable to enter ports to sink ships because there will be no AI actions to stop you
I had no idea about that, is it the same with mega-mods? in the port there were 3-4 destroyers patrolling near me all the time, they didn't pickup on me either because I was silent + storm, or the AI is braindead like you say.

They did respond to the area where I fired torpedoes from but I simply don't know, Im not that experienced in SH3 and certainly new to the mega-mods.

Forgot to add: In the mod I'm playing (LSH), I got a specific radio message telling me to sneak into Scapa Flow as a special task, why would they add that if it was a walk in the park?

Last edited by VoidsX; 06-29-18 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-29-18, 07:59 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Yes it's the same with megamods. Possibly destroyers near you will react, but once at some distance from you they won't . Test it by going to the surface... And there must be a lot of posts about this already...

Note: I have edited my post above, read lines 2-3 again.

Cheers,
Old 06-29-18, 08:01 AM   #5
Brett Sinclair
Loader

Downloads: 46

I tried to sink the Warspite on my first LSH3 patrol. Suffering from my torpedo malfunctions, I finally managed to score three hits on her after reloading my save (very often). She capsized, sank to the ground, but I got no sinking confirmation. I did encounter various destroyers, but managed to escape. It felt as difficult as (stock) SH5.
In shallow waters, you are supposed to hit the battleship below the turrets, triggering secondary explosions. Worked well in SH4 and SH5, but I did not manage to do so in LSH3.

Best,
Brett

p.s.:
I then sank the Illustrious instead. Two torps were enough to break her up.
Brett Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 08:14 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidsX View Post
Forgot to add: In the mod I'm playing (LSH), I got a specific radio message telling me to sneak into Scapa Flow as a special task, why would they add that if it was a walk in the park?

I'm not familiar with the LSH3 mod, but I'm pretty sure that what I say above also apply. The mission would be difficult because you must escape a serie of minefields I guess.

The Scapa Flow attack was mainly based on surprise and succeeded because of that. No submarine has repeated it in Europe AFAIK, there was such an attack in New York against a passenger ship, but I cannot remember the timeline, knowing this both ports had to be on high alert anyway, it's not too difficult to secure a port.
Old 06-29-18, 08:29 AM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Also IMO, sinking ships in a port is not of high military value: you leave spareparts to the port's technicians to repair or replace an existing ship...whearas sinking a ship in open sea will force the enemy to build a new one.
Destroying the port would be much more of a value...
Old 06-29-18, 08:35 AM   #8
VoidsX
Watch

Quote:
Also IMO, sinking ships in a port is not of high military value: you leave spareparts to the port's technicians to repair or replace an existing ship...whearas sinking a ship in open sea will force the enemy to build a new one.
Destroying the port would be much more of a value...
I think you are discussing things out of proportions, I never said it was a massive challenge or that it happened all the time IRL or any of that, just wondering about an unregistered kill.
Old 06-29-18, 08:40 AM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
I think you are discussing things out of proportions, I never said it was a massive challenge or that it happened all the time IRL or any of that, just wondering about an unregistered kill.

Sure...Playing this game must make some sense...
Old 06-29-18, 09:13 AM   #10
VoidsX
Watch

Quote:
Sure...Playing this game must make some sense...
Generally speaking I like this mod, it raises the difficulty considerably from stock, air patrols are extensive and could easily sink you even in 1939, destroyers, once they are close enough to ping you don't let go and youre in serious trouble then, even in 1939.. and if youre in shallow water, most likely dead.

But lets not go from that to comparing it to real life cause I don't think its close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sinclair View Post
I tried to sink the Warspite on my first LSH3 patrol. Suffering from my torpedo malfunctions, I finally managed to score three hits on her after reloading my save (very often). She capsized, sank to the ground, but I got no sinking confirmation. I did encounter various destroyers, but managed to escape. It felt as difficult as (stock) SH5.
In shallow waters, you are supposed to hit the battleship below the turrets, triggering secondary explosions. Worked well in SH4 and SH5, but I did not manage to do so in LSH3.

Best,
Brett

p.s.:
I then sank the Illustrious instead. Two torps were enough to break her up.
Thanks for the tip, but how did you find 2 capital ships on your first patrol? I barely find any Royal Navy ships bigger than destroyers, and here I am trying to sneak into ports looking for them
Old 06-29-18, 10:33 AM   #11
Brett Sinclair
Loader

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, but how did you find 2 capital ships on your first patrol? I barely find any Royal Navy ships bigger than destroyers, and here I am trying to sneak into ports looking for them
I had just finished my training patrol in my trusty Typ II, and had my first assignment for the second flotilla west of Scotland. I figured I may as well undercut Prien and enter Scapa Flow... The Illustrious sat south-southwest of the Scapa Flow docks, and the Warspite right next to the docks.
Running Steam's SH3 + current LSH3 + SH3 Commander.

Best,
Brett

p.s.:
In a rather comical moment, I may have accidentally driven into the Illustrious while running submerged with the periscope down
Brett Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote