SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-17, 05:14 AM   #991
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/window...ches-continue/

Well.
Old 07-26-17, 04:06 PM   #992
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Microsoft’s stance on unsupported hardware adds uncertainty to Windows 10

To quote Microsoft, "any hardware device that falls out of the manufacturer's support cycle may be ineligible for future Windows 10 updates." That means if your sound card, headphones, DVD Drive, keyboard, or any component isn't presently supported by its manufacturer you may not be able to continue to run Windows.

Anybody think this is a reasonable stance? What are these people smoking?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 06:18 PM   #993
Skybird
Soaring

Planned obsolescence. People should be forced to buy hardware new from scratch in shorter intervalls. Everything. PC, periphery, game controllers, printers. At best every two years. You see the same business "understanding" in their crappy tablets.

The Monsanto of digital seeds.

People. Boycott this crap. You owe it to yourself.
Old 07-27-17, 12:50 PM   #994
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Looks like Microsoft acknowledges that they have a development problem in their system. And being the monolithic be all and end all of their particular universe, what do they do about it?

Microsoft Is Now Using Linus Torvalds' Open Source Tool For Windows Development

Yes, when their own tools can't cut it, they traveled to Linux Land to get tools that really work. Now, everybody at Microsloth: GIT to work! Make us an operating system that works for us again. Naw! They decided to die years ago.
Old 07-27-17, 04:59 PM   #995
Skybird
Soaring

Sometimes I wonder whether making Windows an open source thing, would do something good for it. Especially since Microsoft now makes the major share of its profits with cloud computing "services" anyway, recent business figures showed, I think.
Old 07-28-17, 10:22 AM   #996
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Sometimes I wonder whether making Windows an open source thing, would do something good for it. Especially since Microsoft now makes the major share of its profits with cloud computing "services" anyway, recent business figures showed, I think.
I can't see that happening, but it would fix Windows, along with ensuring its survival. The open source community would rip all the telemetry out of it that was possible and only use the telemetry it kept using for non-commercial use.
Old 07-28-17, 08:41 PM   #997
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Looks like Microsoft acknowledges that they have a development problem in their system. And being the monolithic be all and end all of their particular universe, what do they do about it?

Microsoft Is Now Using Linus Torvalds' Open Source Tool For Windows Development

Yes, when their own tools can't cut it, they traveled to Linux Land to get tools that really work. Now, everybody at Microsloth: GIT to work! Make us an operating system that works for us again. Naw! They decided to die years ago.
I used to do MS local seminars back in the day. Free lunch, free apps... better than the Netware gatherings in that regard... but anyway, I digress and get distracted... We were at a pre-Windows 2000 Professional release seminar, where they were showing us what all it would be able to do... Pre-XP, Pre-Server days, mind you... when the computer crashed. Horrors! So they shut the feed off, and on the overhead display was a command prompt... They were running a "fake" Win2k. Nothing but WinNT4.x gussied up to look like a new version, running on top of, and using Linux to "run" the new stuff... Very strange, especially back then. They did get it all ported over, of course, but why bother with it at that time at the seminar, in front of all those people, if it wasn't at least "real", ya know?... Why "fake" it to the people who understand "deadlines" when it comes to programming? Oh well.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 01:11 PM   #998
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Could be wrong, very wrong

I'm convinced, someday in the future Microsoft will send some updates to those who has a window based computer, in which it makes it impossible to have any kind of google related stuff on a window based computer.

I guess they will go all in, in this war or upcoming war.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 03:13 PM   #999
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Could be wrong, very wrong

I'm convinced, someday in the future Microsoft will send some updates to those who has a window based computer, in which it makes it impossible to have any kind of google related stuff on a window based computer.

I guess they will go all in, in this war or upcoming war.

Markus
If Microsoft decides to fire the first shot in that war, then Google would announce Android for PC and Windows would cease to be. But I think you're probably right and that is the reason for the Microsoft Store. It locks out anybody they wish to lock from the Windows Universe. It's a suicidal strategy, but I'm convinced that Microsoft decided to die five years ago.
Old 08-03-17, 06:10 PM   #1000
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Linux is Running on Almost All of the Top 500 Supercomputers

Beginning in 1993 here is what the world's top 500 supercomputers have run. In the beginning they almost all ran Unix, but Linux has exploded onto the scene and today all but two run Linux. The other two run Unix. Zero run Windows. Zero run Apple OS.

The situation with web servers is almost identical with the vast preponderance of web servers running Linux. These are the choices of the most learned computer users on the planet. Why don't YOU run Linux as your primary operating system?

There's a clear trend here. Hang onto Windows too long and you'll be left in the cold.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-03-17 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-03-17, 06:51 PM   #1001
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

One of the things that cracks me up about Microsoft and their "joining" the consortium, is that now they have a "Developer Feature" in Windows 10 that allows you to run Linux... - I wonder how "secure" that would be... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 09:02 AM   #1002
Skybird
Soaring

Default W7 Patch Archive disaster

What a total mess. I have lost both my two DVDs where I had saved my patch archive for a fresh Windows 7 installation. The original, and the copy - both gone. I included the patches released until SP1, and then the patches from SP1 until summer 2015. It did not include anything later, avoiding most of those messy later patches dealing with Microsoft'S brutal GWX assault-campaign and the earlier attempts of inverse-installing W10-spy technology into Windows 7.

These DVDs were my holy grail. I forsaw the probolems I now have, and knew they were precious therefore. They would have allowed me to reinstall W7 without needing to access Microsoft's infested malware database online.

I desperately searched for an hour now foran old source, website, link, whatever, where I could get such an old patch archive and download it, and not from Microsoft. Two years ago, such places existed, today I find none anymore.

Has anyone a trustworthy link? The problem with PC magazinse' according offeringsd is that they always update their archive to the latest status, so I get all the crap from the past two years with them as well. I want nothing beyond summer 2015 at the latest.

I will never forgive Microsoft what a mess they have turned my gaming life into.

And don'T tell me about W10. I will never get into, period. Also do not tell me about Linux, I use it already for anything else. But the kind of simulations I want to play, and Linux - do not go well together.
Old 08-04-17, 09:22 AM   #1003
Skybird
Soaring

To be precise, of course SP1 from 2011 is still downloadable. I need a patch archive for the patches from 2011 until late 2014 or early 2015 at max - not beyond.

No need to talk of SP2 either, that one is from Spring 2016 and thus includes too much of the toxic stuff already that I want to avoid. The patches - for 64 Bit btw - of the year late 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - this is what I am after.
Old 08-04-17, 09:40 AM   #1004
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Have you looked here? They pretty much have the full archive to dig through.
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 09:56 AM   #1005
Skybird
Soaring

That is Microsoft. Since microsoft repeatedly now have intentionally mislabled and ill-described malware they wanted to spread, my point is right about avoiding Microsoft servers alltogether. I do not trust them that they will only do what they say they only will do. They lied too often.

Did you know how I installed W7 fresh two years ago? I unplugged the internet wire, installed W7, installed SP1, installed my patch archive, installed XP antispy (a German GUI for changing some dozen registry settings to prevent Windows phoning home all the time) and sealed W7 off from web-depending "services". Next I installed MBAM and a second security suite. Windows update has not been run, not a single time, never.

Not before all this was done, I then installed the router and internet connection, went online, updated virus defintions and that stuff, and finally registered windows 7. Then I shut down even that channel again. And later they became pushy again to install W10 malware tehzcnoloigy into exiosting W7.

Nicht mit mir. Ich hab die Schnauze voll.

I do not want Micorsoft having access to my system anymore. Trust has been murdered too many times. W10 has been aggressively pushed and thrown in like a Molotow cocktail through he closed and locked window one time too often.

Tags
windows