SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-13, 10:44 PM   #31
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1783
Uploads: 0
Default Excellent Traveller!

I will be awaiting the lite version for OTC. I cant wait! This should make it real interesting from here on out.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 02:30 AM   #32
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89

Sorry for the delay.

V2.04 is uploaded. Unfortunately I couldn't get the groups of patrolling aircraft to work correctly for this version. But... I added a few extra goodies that weren't originally included.

Here's the feature list:

v2.04

- All Japanese bases now have surface radar, radar warning, and DF sensors. Range depends on early or late war versions. Early war versions start from early 1942 until early 1943, and the sensors have a range of up to 185 miles. Late war versions start start from early 1943 until the end of the war, and the sensors have a range of up to 275 miles. I based these range numbers and dates on some of the Japanese WW2 land-based surface radar/DF info I came across.

- Over 525 strategically-placed enemy coastal visual observation posts added. There are now enemy observation posts along coastal regions. They will be able to spot your sub and report your position. You will not see them or know your position was reported. The Japanese home islands are especially well-guarded. No more waltzing into Tokyo harbor on the surface. Important bases such as Wake and Truk are also very well-covered. These posts are manned by Japanese military personnel, and also by well-trained local sympathizers. All posts are equipped with high-powered binoculars, spotting scopes, and communication radios. They will be able to spot a surfaced sub during daylight in clear weather at a distance of up to 20 miles. They may even be able to spot your scope while submerged if close enough.

- Over 50 strategically-placed enemy radar posts added. These custom units also have the same surface radar, radar warning, and DF sensor capabilities as Japanese bases. The Japanese military has their islands well-covered with this radar detection network. Important Japanese naval harbors are especially well-protected. Use extreme caution when cruising on the surface near the Japanese islands.

- Wake Island will now have a small Japanese seaplane base starting from December 27 until the end of the war.

- Tweaked Japanese air base aircraft types and amounts. Japanese air bases will now deploy Kyushu Q1W1 anti-submarine bombers from January 1945. Also added Zero fighters and B5N2 Kate level bombers to most Japanese air bases. Plus all Japanese air bases now have some type of patrol aircraft. You should now encounter more variety of enemy aircraft in your patrols.

- US sub hydrophone sensors will no longer work while surfaced, due to wave noise interference. They will now only work at approximately periscope depth or deeper.

- Adjusted enemy aircraft visual capabilities. They were a bit blind in version 2.03.

- Reduced aircraft spotting capabilities when detecting a submerged sub. Enemy aircraft will now most likely not be able to spot your sub when below periscope depth.

- Reduced number of enemy aircaft patrols and instances. If you are encountering large numbers of enemy aircraft, you are probably being detected by land-based radar or observation posts!

- Decreased wave size.

- Added a Traveller Mod 2.04 compatibility patch for OTC 1.5 users (optional)

Download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?sct5qu965k9xv4g

Last edited by Traveller; 04-09-13 at 04:14 AM.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 06:16 AM   #33
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
- US sub hydrophone sensors will no longer work while surfaced, due to wave noise interference. They will now only work at approximately periscope depth or deeper.
Sorry, only thing i don't like.
Ok for decreased detection distance due to rough sea, but not completely deaf. To me it's not historical imo.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 06:49 AM   #34
Traveller
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Sorry, only thing i don't like.
Ok for decreased detection distance due to rough sea, but not completely deaf. To me it's not historical imo.
It's not that simple. I could tweak the hydrophone sensitivity settings, but then it causes other problems.

The reason I changed this was to force the player to play more historically and realistically. Having the ability to run around on the surface at speed, detecting ships with hydrohone miles away gives the player a huge ahistorical advantage. Plus using hydrophones on the surface at any speed apparently was not common practice. Please see here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ace+hydrophone

Last edited by Traveller; 04-09-13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-11-13, 03:49 PM   #35
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
It's not that simple. I could tweak the hydrophone sensitivity settings, but then it causes other problems.

The reason I changed this was to force the player to play more historically and realistically. Having the ability to run around on the surface at speed, detecting ships with hydrohone miles away gives the player a huge ahistorical advantage. Plus using hydrophones on the surface at any speed apparently was not common practice. Please see here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ace+hydrophone
Gotta replace my motherboard so I can play again on my other PC, but this I see as a nice realistic change. I assume the lag issue still happens when a group enters the zone or not?

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 05:10 PM   #36
Traveller
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Gotta replace my motherboard so I can play again on my other PC, but this I see as a nice realistic change. I assume the lag issue still happens when a group enters the zone or not?
I'm not sure which zone you are referring to.
Old 04-11-13, 07:59 PM   #37
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I'm not sure which zone you are referring to.

If you play, you notice if a group enters the "zone" your PC will lag out some and you know something is near, even though you can't see it, nor can the crew pick it up with any sensors. I believe it's the range of your best sonar, as you can go to sonar yourself and find the group.

The S-boat was the only sub before yours that you had to dive for sonar, but the game would still lag out when a group was near on the surface with it, so you dive and you can pick it up on sonar. Obvious, the sub AI works with the equipment it has, doen't pick it up, but you can.

My guess or assumption, that this lag zone reflects the distance of your best sonar and it exist the entire war, but only you can cheat with it.

It's the cheat everyone uses, game lags out, go to sonar. One thing I've hated about the game, you personally have max use of the best sonar the entire war.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Old 04-12-13, 04:23 AM   #38
Traveller
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
If you play, you notice if a group enters the "zone" your PC will lag out some and you know something is near, even though you can't see it, nor can the crew pick it up with any sensors. I believe it's the range of your best sonar, as you can go to sonar yourself and find the group.

The S-boat was the only sub before yours that you had to dive for sonar, but the game would still lag out when a group was near on the surface with it, so you dive and you can pick it up on sonar. Obvious, the sub AI works with the equipment it has, doen't pick it up, but you can.

My guess or assumption, that this lag zone reflects the distance of your best sonar and it exist the entire war, but only you can cheat with it.

It's the cheat everyone uses, game lags out, go to sonar. One thing I've hated about the game, you personally have max use of the best sonar the entire war.
I understand. I know SH3 also did that. I think it just has something to do with the game engine bogging down. Not sure, though.
Old 04-12-13, 04:36 AM   #39
Traveller
Captain

By the way everyone, v2.05 is now uploaded.

Here are the new features and fixes:

v2.05

- Removed the captain's log screen. Also removed the ship sunk and aircraft destroyed icons from the map. The 'She's going down!' sound officer message still shows, as it is hard-coded and cannot be completely removed. So you will still automatically know you sank a ship. You just won't know which one unless you visually confirm it!

These changes were done to add a bit more realism and challenge to SH4, by removing the certainty of automatic identification and location when a unit is destroyed. As captain, you will have to now guess the identity/tonnage and location of the sinking. If you shoot off a couple of torpedoes at periscope depth, and then dive, there will be great uncertainty about which ship was sunk. Even though the destroyed unit icons were removed from the map, it is still possible to manually add marks to the map with the pencil tool when a ship is sunk or aircraft shot down. Hopefully this will give you, as captain, a bit more realism and interaction with the game. And upon returning to port, you can check the captain's log on your desk to compare your patrol notes with the actual sinkings.

- Added a custom-made F1M Pete floatplane which is landed and floats on the water. Damage model is included.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3416/111tkl.png

- Added a challenging custom campaign mission where you will be assigned to find a hidden enemy seaplane base, sneak in, and shell the parked seaplanes.

- Reverted back to the original smaller waves. The larger waves were damaging surface ships over time.

This will be the last version update for Traveller Mod for TMO... at least for a while. I'll be taking a break from modding to actually play the game. I hope everyone enjoys v2.05!

Download v2.05 here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tp2rg4xasc4wqy3
Old 04-12-13, 04:53 AM   #40
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Thanks!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 08:24 AM   #41
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

thanks
Old 04-12-13, 11:39 AM   #42
Traveller
Captain

Well, I lied. I'm working on one more small project- an optional 'hard-core' patch that removes the periscope/binoculars color triangles, removes the periscope selected target ID name, and removes the selected target ID name from the map. The captain (that's you) will be fully responsible for correctly identifying targets. No more automatic ID's with this patch. Time to break out that recognition manual.
Old 04-12-13, 12:03 PM   #43
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I understand. I know SH3 also did that. I think it just has something to do with the game engine bogging down. Not sure, though.
Yep, just bogs down based on the number of contacts that enter the "zone" I could never figure a fix, cept messing the the intent of sonar, which doesn't solve anything.

Old 04-12-13, 02:08 PM   #44
bandit484
Medic

Downloads: 523
SHO

This is one fine mod my friend. Keep up the excellent work that you do!!!!!
bandit484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 02:38 PM   #45
bandit484
Medic

Downloads: 523
SHO

Can anybody help me find a site that shows enemy merchant routes in the war?
bandit484 is offline   Reply With Quote