SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-10, 02:38 PM   #1
treblesum81
Frogman

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0
Default Jane's FC and Windows 7 x64?

I've been bitten by the bug to play this one again and I've been wondering if they will play nice together? I've read arguments in both directions, so I wonder which I should believe?

Thanks,
Greg
treblesum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 02:59 PM   #2
treblesum81
Frogman

So far the answer in no I should add... the screen just blinks black on and then black off, like its trying to reset the screen resolution a few times then it shuts down the program...
Old 06-16-10, 10:58 PM   #3
Cy-Fox
SUBSIM Mod (CW+Discord)

Downloads: 110

There's several factors that I believe could factor into your problem:
  • Fleet Command being a 32-bit program, could have an issue with the way Windows 7 x64 is addressing memory.
  • Windows 95/98 or Windows XP Compatibility Mode might not be engaged
  • Conflict with outdated or even updated graphics drivers. At that, is your graphics card made by Nvidia, ATI or a third party?
  • Are you running at a weird resolution that Fleet Command could have a problem going to 640x480 from? (It can address up to 1024x768)
  • If you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, have you considered running Fleet Command in its special Windows XP virtualization mode?
Cy-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 08:49 PM   #4
treblesum81
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy-Fox View Post
There's several factors that I believe could factor into your problem:
  • Fleet Command being a 32-bit program, could have an issue with the way Windows 7 x64 is addressing memory.
  • Windows 95/98 or Windows XP Compatibility Mode might not be engaged
  • Conflict with outdated or even updated graphics drivers. At that, is your graphics card made by Nvidia, ATI or a third party?
  • Are you running at a weird resolution that Fleet Command could have a problem going to 640x480 from? (It can address up to 1024x768)
  • If you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, have you considered running Fleet Command in its special Windows XP virtualization mode?
I've never really had trouble when dealing with 32-bit programs, so I don't think that's the problem here (16-bit is another story though...). I've tried it in every compatibility mode I can think of, though I've never been able to figure out how to get access to the XP visualization mode, so that might produce different results. I'm using the latest ATI drivers, at 1680x1050 resolution, but my video card automatically steps resolution down to that of the game until I adjust it in the game. That being said, I've tried reducing resolution down to 800x600 and even disabled one of my monitors and still get the same problem. Also, once I started running in compatibility modes, I got a message saying that the graphics failed to initialize or something like that, so I'm thinking it may just be my video card, which might mean I'm out of luck.
Old 08-12-10, 10:01 PM   #5
juniorjj84
A-ganger

Downloads: 393

I have the same problem with win 7, running the game, the screen keeps blinking like theres no tomorow and i cant find any solution to this, is a pain in the . i have try everithing and nothing seems to work.
ANY SUGESTION?
juniorjj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 11:52 PM   #6
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Richt-click the shortcut or executable (fleet command.exe in game folder) and select 'properties' (bottom of the list).

Go to the 'compatibility' tab.

Check 'disable desktop composition'; this will disable Aero which tends to interfere with older games.

You could also try 'disable visual themes' and selecting a compatibility mode (the one with the list, 'Windows XP' should work).

If that doesn't do it, try enabling more options and/or setting an older OS in that list.

I can run it on 4GB RAM and a quad-core with Win7 64b, so it should work. Think I still sometimes had flashing in the menus, but nothing bad enough to keep me from playing.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote